JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meanwhile I'm still trying to get in the club 🥹

1000008437.jpg

Outside of my poor attempt at humor, one of my favorite ways to eat a steak (of many favorite ways lol) is the simple Argentinian style with chimichurri. I grind a simple Argentinian rub blend of dried minced garlic, onion flakes, black pepper, red chili flakes, fennel seed, rosemary and thyme. Just as a personal preference I don't put salt in my rubs because I use a lot of dry rub so I use a little salt on the meat before applying the rub. And of course my take on chimichurri is equally simple. 1 large bunch of flat leaf parsley stems and all, 2 large garlic cloves, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, small pinch of salt, small pinch of red chili flakes to your level of spicy, pinch of black pepper, small squeeze of honey. Pulse all in a food processor, scraping the sides, and continue pulsing while adding good olive oil until you get the consistency you like. Pungent, garlicky, spicy and bright, it's one of my favorite condiments. And you can tell the little lady "yes I'm eating something green".

Last Edited:
Usually smoke baby-backs but trying to get the hang of St Louis style, a style which I enjoy. Bought an 8lb slab and after trimming to a St. Louis style I was left with a 3 lb slab of ribs and 5 lbs trimmings. Decided to make my own McRib patties. Removed the bone and cartilage from the trimmings and ran it through a grinder to get ~4 lbs ground rib meat. Smoked it all with hickory. Ribs came out great but the patties were a little dry, despite leaving all the fat in. But, the patties still have a nice smoked-rib flavor. Last week when I cooked St. Louis style I tossed the trimmings in the freezer, figuring they'd be good for making pasta sauce, the kind which simmers 8-9 hours. I think on the East Coast they call it Sunday Gravy.

I'd very much like to hear what others do with the trimmings after preparing St. Louis style ribs. Or do you just cook the whole slab intact? (I've done that too.)

1719241928826.png
1719241960363.png
1719241996084.png

Usually smoke baby-backs but trying to get the hang of St Louis style, a style which I enjoy. Bought an 8lb slab and after trimming to a St. Louis style I was left with a 3 lb slab of ribs and 5 lbs trimmings. Decided to make my own McRib patties. Removed the bone and cartilage from the trimmings and ran it through a grinder to get ~4 lbs ground rib meat. Smoked it all with hickory. Ribs came out great but the patties were a little dry, despite leaving all the fat in. But, the patties still have a nice smoked-rib flavor. Last week when I cooked St. Louis style I tossed the trimmings in the freezer, figuring they'd be good for making pasta sauce, the kind which simmers 8-9 hours. I think on the East Coast they call it Sunday Gravy.

I'd very much like to hear what others do with the trimmings after preparing St. Louis style ribs. Or do you just cook the whole slab intact? (I've done that too.)

View attachment 1905031
View attachment 1905032
View attachment 1905033
I just cook the whole slab. McRib sounds like a new thing to do! How long did you smoke them and what temp did you pull the patties? What's your estimate on fat content?

View attachment 1905031
View attachment 1905032
View attachment 1905033
I typically cut st Louis style and save the rib tips up and do a big cook of just tips. I have trimmed them up and made breakfast sausage too

I just cook the whole slab. McRib sounds like a new thing to do! How long did you smoke them and what temp did you pull the patties? What's your estimate on fat content?
The patties were at 173 F when they came off. I think 160 is safe but I went a little higher, certainly contributed to the dryness. I also did not wrap them at the end, like is sometimes done with othe smoked meats. A couple hours but that really depends. Wild guess of 15-20% fat.

I thought about inventing BBQ sausage by adding my secret rib rub before grinding. Maybe even make links. A McRib dog in a hotdog bun sounds kinda good. They'd also be a good breakfast meat. More I think about, I'm making McRib links next time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top