JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nosler Sporting Handgun 180gr bullets over 10.6 AA#7 with new Starline nickel plated 10mm brass

1000009337.jpg 1000009338.jpg

APP arrived from LEE.

Setup and it worked fantastic for maybe 300 cases. Then the screw fell out of the bottom of the shuttle carrier and it fell apart. Now I can't get it to run smoothly or go back far enough to pickup a case even with the case feeder adjusted entirely to the right. I have to pull it back by hand a little.

So now with two hands I can make it work decently well with some speed. But it's still janky.

Also... I busted the Squirrel Daddy pin the same day I got it.

5.56 wet cleaned case + crimped primer. I emailed Squirrel Daddy but they have an ominous email reply about not reading emails.

So for now, the LEE factory pin is back in.

View attachment 1896459
If it's doing what I think, I remember when mine did that. The solution I found online was to wrap a couple layers of packing tape around the spring to make it stiff, then the spring would push it back without bending.

The APP is a cool idea and a neat press, just poorly executed out of cheap materials. Then again I suppose if it were done right, I wouldn't have one because I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money. :)

If it's doing what I think, I remember when mine did that. The solution I found online was to wrap a couple layers of packing tape around the spring to make it stiff, then the spring would push it back without bending.

The APP is a cool idea and a neat press, just poorly executed out of cheap materials. Then again I suppose if it were done right, I wouldn't have one because I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money. :)
Seems like you get what you pay for {or don't} with Lee.

I used to be very cheap especially in regards to buying equipment.
Now it seems I factor in all the hours of enjoyment I will get from quality products and it all seems like a great deal.
On top of if you take care of good stuff it still has resale value if you want to on from it.
Unlike say, going out to eat or a vacation where all you get is a memory and the bill.
I'm thinking my enjoyment from quality equipment is going to be increasing even more as I'm on Day 14 with no alcohol.
One might even say giving up one addiction for more of another. If so, so be it.

I charged up 50 cases with the .3cc dipper and seated 10 bullets. No crushed cases so I think I got the expanding die set better for this batch. My wife ordered a Lyman chamber checker block for me, so I am checking each round after I seat the bullet. I didn't really dial in any crimp but figure for 380 it will probably be fine.

I only loaded a few dummy rounds for the 45-70 because the other day when I was shooting it, I noticed a few rounds were hard to chamber where others were smooth as butter.
More of the dummy rounds jammed into the rifleing then loaded with no problems.

Back when I powder coated all of my 45-70 cast bullets, I had loaded 1 dummy round to make sure they would chamber properly. I had forgotten that I had changed my alloy so that air cooled they were around 16 bhn. I guess they were also a little bit larger on the width.

I was looking at melting all of the cast 45-70 bullets and changing my alloy, finding a powder coat that didnt add .002 to the bullets. Well I added up all the 45-70 cast bullets I have laying around and it was WAY more then I will ever use..... 8,954 :eek:

So I tried to find a way to salvage them without modifying my trimmer to shorten my cases.
It took a bit of thinking while watching music videos to figure it out. :) I found a plastic sleeve that came from something (have no idea what) drilled it out so that a shotgun cleaning rod wound go down it, cut the loop off the end of the patch holder and attached it.
I cut off the cleaning rod, drilled a hole in it and inserted a pin with a washer under it.

Then I found my .452 sizing die for 45acp and ran the nose of one bullet up into sizer and then after punching it out I measured it and the widest part of the nose was a perfect .456 (like the bullet was supposed to have, not the 459 that it was)

After finding a spare push rod for the .460 sizer, I cut it down so that I could have the die where it should be and not almost out of the threads at the top.

I used a dremmel to sand down the plastic sleeve so that it would fit into the top of the .452 sizing die... :D fixed 100 bullets in just a few minutes.

I now have to pull the loaded rounds and replace with the newly nose sized ones.

20240610_173323.jpg 20240610_173432.jpg 20240610_173312.jpg 20240610_173749.jpg

I used to be very cheap especially in regards to buying equipment.
Now it seems I factor in all the hours of enjoyment I will get from quality products and it all seems like a great deal.
On top of if you take care of good stuff it still has resale value if you want to on from it.
Unlike say, going out to eat or a vacation where all you get is a memory and the bill.
I'm thinking my enjoyment from quality equipment is going to be increasing even more as I'm on Day 14 with no alcohol.
One might even say giving up one addiction for more of another. If so, so be it.
I tend to shop for what I consider to be the "sweet spot" of quality and price. For example with a vehicle that might mean buying a Toyota.
I also take into consideration the frequency that I am going to use the item. Something like hand wrenches, a socket set, kitchen knives, cookware, a mattress or footwear that sees daily usage will cause me to prioritize quality. Where as a tool that will be used very infrequently, I might purchase at Harbor Freight.

I''ve had a box of 165gr button nose wad cutters sized to .410 on my shelf for a while. All the data in 41 Mag for bullets around this weight is for warp drive hollow points. I did find data for 41 Special but not for bullets seated this deeply. I also found data for bullets of this weight for the 41 AE. All the shorter case (41 Special & AE) data indicated to me the 5-6grs of W-231 would probably work and is a load I use for other cartridges form 9mm to 45 acp. I settled on 5.5grs and will report back after I shoot them tomorrow.

I tend to shop for what I consider to be the "sweet spot" of quality and price. For example with a vehicle that might mean buying a Toyota.
I also take into consideration the frequency that I am going to use the item. Something like hand wrenches, a socket set, kitchen knives, cookware, a mattress or footwear that sees daily usage will cause me to prioritize quality. Where as a tool that will be used very infrequently, I might purchase at Harbor Freight.
I call that sweet spot the best value. And just because something doesn't cost alot doesn't mean it can't be a good deal.
Conversely, just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's the best.

I seated the other 40 380 bullets. I now have a 100rnds for next range trip. Thinking about starting some 45acp loads tomorrow. I bought numerous 1911s since m114 passed and only fired one them so far. I bought a 45acp hi point too.

No loading today, only un-loading. Gun day fun day report in that thread. But of interest here my button nose 41 Mag wad-cutters shot really good. Playing Dueling tree at 25 yards I went 6 for 6 with my last cylinder full.

Didn't do much for loading today, but cleaned and prepped a couple thousand 9mm cases and loaded 10 of my first 9mm rounds. 124gr plated RN, 5.4gr AAC #5, 1.16" coal. Hanging onto these with my first 50 .223 loads until I shoot some and know they're good to go.
20240611_200601.jpg 20240611_200550.jpg

Didn't do much for loading today, but cleaned and prepped a couple thousand 9mm cases and loaded 10 of my first 9mm rounds. 124gr plated RN, 5.4gr AAC #5, 1.16" coal. Hanging onto these with my first 50 .223 loads until I shoot some and know they're good to go.
View attachment 1897830View attachment 1897831
AA#5 is and has been my favorite 9mm powder for decades.
I like lower end +P territory which by the way is well below the standard 9mm data of years gone by. I just came across a couple of older manuals that I hadn't kept and confirmed my memory.
Was doing 6.3 with a 124gr Rocky Mountain Reloading Nuke but am settling in on 6.2gr.
Lyman book says 1.120 for that bullet but I have to go 1.090 to get them to fit in my Sheridan Slotted Case Gauge. Had a friend do 1.115 with the same bullet and they did not chamber consistently.
Totally different profile than the 124gr RN so I'm sure they will work perfectly.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top