JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to make a bunch of small primer 10mm and 45 acp just to get rid of the brass and I've got more SP than LP primers. Not my first choice but I've invested in the processing so don't really want to scrap it.

Is there an actual performance benefit from LP primers in .45 or is it just because that's the way it's always been, and that's just the way it should be? I've seen that new manufacture Speer Lawman, Federal AE and Champion, and a variety of other really decent rounds are made with small pocket brass now and they function without issues.

Is there an actual performance benefit from LP primers in .45 or is it just because that's the way it's always been, and that's just the way it should be? I've seen that new manufacture Speer Lawman, Federal AE and Champion, and a variety of other really decent rounds are made with small pocket brass now and they function without issues.
No difference it''s just something to pay attention to. It's kind of a pain to be running large primer brass and then find small primer brass mixed in. Kind of like working on something and needing both metric and fractional inch wrenches.

I'm pretty pragmatic about such things. I have plenty of large primers, but haven't seen any practical disadvantages at all to loading and using the small primer brass. They all work just fine from my perspective.

Somewhere here I even have a bag of large-primer .38 Special brass. I thought maybe I'd use them when small primers were scarce, but I never ran out of anything.

I'm on a bit of a shooting/loading hiatus for a while now anyhow, so I have enough primers of all types to last me a very long time. I just gave some of the elusive large rifle magnum primers to a friend of mine.

No difference it''s just something to pay attention to. It's kind of a pain to be running large primer brass and then find small primer brass mixed in. Kind of like working on something and needing both metric and fractional inch wrenches.
I just got 15lbs of unprocessed mixed, once fired .45 range brass from an indoor range in Reno that I plan on sifting through. I have significantly more SP primers than LP, so I do plan on loading for both. I'm not loading anything else that requires LP primers, so I'll most likely be using those first. I just wasn't sure if there was a ballistic difference. Is there a difference in charge weight or just load them both the same?

I just got 15lbs of unprocessed mixed, once fired .45 range brass from an indoor range in Reno that I plan on sifting through. I have significantly more SP primers than LP, so I do plan on loading for both. I'm not loading anything else that requires LP primers, so I'll most likely be using those first. I just wasn't sure if there was a ballistic difference. Is there a difference in charge weight or just load them both the same?
I load them the same and have not noticed any difference in how they shoot. That''s for pistols. I know some rifle calibers can have either size rifle primers so there might be a difference there but I haven't loaded any of those calibers.

Just don't run out of large pistol primers.
I am saving my large pistol primers for 10mm ammo. All the new brass I have purchased for the 10mm requires the large pistol primers. I have a bunch of range pick up .45 ACP brass that uses small pistol primers and those I loaded have worked fine and I have a LOT more small pistol primers on hand and they are readily available at current prices that are more reasonable than the prices for large pistol primers (when you can find large primers!).

Last Edited:
I'm pretty pragmatic about such things. I have plenty of large primers, but haven't seen any practical disadvantages at all to loading and using the small primer brass. They all work just fine from my perspective.

Somewhere here I even have a bag of large-primer .38 Special brass. I thought maybe I'd use them when small primers were scarce, but I never ran out of anything.

I'm on a bit of a shooting/loading hiatus for a while now anyhow, so I have enough primers of all types to last me a very long time. I just gave some of the elusive large rifle magnum primers to a friend of mine.
Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.

I am saving my large pistol primers for 10mm ammo. All the ew brass I have purchased for the 10mm requires the large pistol primers. I have a bunch of range pick up .45 ACP brass that uses small pistol primers and those I loaded have worked fine and I have a LOT more small pistol primers on hand and they are readily available at current prices that are more reasonable than the prices for large pistol primers (when you can find large primers!).
It all makes sense.
But why did they make 2 different sizes.
And how does Winchester large pistol cover both standard and magnum?

It all makes sense.
But why did they make 2 different sizes.
It came about with the advent of lead free primers which where only made in small pistol and they decided it was more efficient to make all pistol brass small pistol than to make primers in both sizes.

As for the Winchester primers I suspect it's because you can run magnum primers in non magnum loads so why make both.

Winchester pistol primers stand between other manufacturers primers in intensity. They are a bit "hotter" than the other major manufacturers standard primers, but a bit "cooler" than their magnum offerings.

Things like this, and that one company's standard is hotter or cooler than another's why every loading manual states to reduce loads and work back up in intensity whenever you change any components. Primers do make a difference in velocity and potentially accuracy, especially in highly accurate firearms.

Somewhere buried in my computer's hard drive is an excellent article detailing where all the major players primers stand in relation to each other. I'll see if I can find it, but I'm headed out of town for a couple of weeks so it may be a while.

It came about with the advent of lead free primers which where only made in small pistol ...
^^^This^^^

Don't be surprised at more and more large "primered" cartridges switching to small. There is no need for the larger sized primer in many loadings. I'm starting to see 10mm Auto with small primer pockets.

As for me, I hold on and load both. You have to sort them anyway, so why not just toss them into a storage contaier until you gather enough to fulfill your loading session's needs?

Every other day of the week is fiiineee. There's a song about that. :s0140:

I like to make swaging fun on the SS 600 with a rubber band. :D
Pretty hi-tech for a Caveman
Every other day of the week is fiiineee. There's a song about that. :s0140:

I like to make swaging fun on the SS 600 with a rubber band. :D
Pretty hi-tech for a Caveman....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads