JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ordered some veggie & herb heirloom seeds in mylar sealed packages - for the future.

I don't currently have a really good place to have a garden at the moment due to trees blocking sunlight much of the day, but maybe in the future.

I could put some raised beds in one spot and put some kind of greenhouse over them to protect them from critters (mice, bears, deer, raccoons, porcupines, etc - they all wander thru and the mice long ago have taken up permanent residence in the yard).

1717264005518.jpeg

Visited my local LDS cannery and procured various, additional #10 cans and powdered milk.

Review your plans and take inventory of your preps as November is right around the corner.

Cleaned the guns and watered the garden.

I saw someone on intstagram paint small rocks red to place next to your strawberry plants. Allegedly, the birds will peck at your red rocks and decide they are not tasty and, therefore, be trained that all small red items in that area are not tasty. Hope it works. BTW, this will likely only work if your plants haven't started producing yet. Ours have not, but very soon, especially with the warm weather we are finally supposed to get coming this weekend.

Cleaned the guns and watered the garden.

I saw someone on intstagram paint small rocks red to place next to your strawberry plants. Allegedly, the birds will peck at your red rocks and decide they are not tasty and, therefore, be trained that all small red items in that area are not tasty. Hope it works. BTW, this will likely only work if your plants haven't started producing yet. Ours have not, but very soon, especially with the warm weather we are finally supposed to get coming this weekend.
Huh - never heard that before. Kinda doubt it will work.

I grew up on the family farm. We had 50+ acres of strawberries, back raspberries, etc. - didn't really have problems with birds. The local vineyards (certainly newish - only in the last 20-30 years) do have bird cannons and deer fences. Our mountain acreage was sold to a large winery/vineyard so now it is all grapes.

We did have problems with a colony of ground squirrels - hired a local hunter - paid for his ammo (.22 RF) - to keep them under control.

ETA - the ground squirrels were an issue in our filbert (hazelnut) orchards - not the berries.

Last Edited:
Yeah, I don't have high expectations, but it didn't cost anything to try it. I will report back. Backup plan is to just put some bird netting over them, which I may do anyway.

Try a few cats. Color doesn't matter.
I would love to. We are infested with gophers and field mice also since they plowed the field across the road. We are gone for several months in the winter, so having a cat is not an option right now—at least until I can talk my husband into staying here year-round.

Visited some property down south, flushed the coolant system of the tractor, ran it for 1.5hrs getting dome more brush and blackberries mowed down, flushed it again and then fresh coolant.

Ran out of light and time, hopefully that fixes the cooling issue...

Pictures on the other phone, will add them later.

A before and after, expanded the yard out a good bit what running the tractor flushing it's coolant...

May end up installing an auxiliary cooling fan just in case....

dji_fly_20240527_185714_379_1716861497411_photo_optimized.jpg dji_fly_20240605_201900_405_1717643950279_photo_optimized.jpg

A before and after, expanded the yard out a good bit what running the tractor flushing it's coolant...

May end up installing an auxiliary cooling fan just in case....

View attachment 1894435 View attachment 1894436
Not sure what tractor you have but on my Kubota it would overheat quite regularly. Even though there is a screen in front of the radiator, the radiator was clogged up with thatch and dirt. Pulled it out and soaked it in a trough then gently sprayed water through it. Ran like a champ after that.

Not sure what tractor you have but on my Kubota it would overheat quite regularly. Even though there is a screen in front of the radiator, the radiator was clogged up with thatch and dirt. Pulled it out and soaked it in a trough then gently sprayed water through it. Ran like a champ after that.
70's John Deere 950, the screen on front is clean.

Yesterday was a little disconcerting for me.

I went to my clinic to give blood/etc. for annual checkup tests. I had to fast beforehand, and I was going to go in the morning, but got sidetracked with the neighbor needing help repairing his tractor, so didn't lave until afternoon.

Then I went to Costco for fuel and checked inside for sales - got another sun hat and some rolled oats. I got a few sample snacks, but still had not much to eat. I was going to get a hotdog/etc., but the line was a bit long for my patience, so I didn't get anything.

It was warm in town yesterday, and I felt dizzy coming out of the air conditioned store. Worse after shopping at Winco. I guess I am getting old when I can't go without a meal for even less than 24 hours. :(

hc=4kqk9alF5D0Q7kNvgG3AZwB&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio3-1.jpg

Yesterday was a little disconcerting for me.

I went to my clinic to give blood/etc. for annual checkup tests. I had to fast beforehand, and I was going to go in the morning, but got sidetracked with the neighbor needing help repairing his tractor, so didn't lave until afternoon.

Then I went to Costco for fuel and checked inside for sales - got another sun hat and some rolled oats. I got a few sample snacks, but still had not much to eat. I was going to get a hotdog/etc., but the line was a bit long for my patience, so I didn't get anything.

It was warm in town yesterday, and I felt dizzy coming out of the air conditioned store. Worse after shopping at Winco. I guess I am getting old when I can't go without a meal for even less than 24 hours. :(

View attachment 1895525
There's skipping meals & not doing anything, then there's skipping meals and being active. Harder to do the latter as we get wiser...

There's skipping meals & not doing anything, then there's skipping meals and being active. Harder to do the latter as we get wiser...
About 5 years ago I had to fast for 3 days for a medical procedure. I was moderately active during that time - going into the office and working. I was very hungry but I don't recall having issues like I did yesterday. All I did yesterday was walk around stores and put groceries in my car.

Getting old sucks!

Got myself a new water bottle today, insulated, and a capacity of 128oz...

Found a mini-mart that will give me refills for $.99 so I'm going for the life-water sobe

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top