JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The line of work I was in is still not compensated very well.....we where the bottom feeders of the goverment employees
These days, the pay of federal employees seems to have fallen behind that of state and local employees. One of the few remaining bastions of union strength is that which represents state and local government employees. This may be a reason local governments and school districts are all going broke and constantly asking for more money.

Federal employees don't have the option of striking for higher pay, either. Which is a restriction that usually doesn't restrain public employee unions representing state and local workers. Unless the USC has been changed since I retired. I think there are some court cases that uphold the USC.

I'm not gonna hate on Juneteenth. But no, I don't like the name at all. "Emancipation Day" was much more fitting. But I do think that as Americans, celebrating the emancipation of the slaves is worthy of a federal holiday.

Twelve-year WA DOT employee essentially has one week off every month.
Nope, the leave accrual does increase as one's seniority increases, but even after 12 years, a state employee is only gonna get 18 days off per year. Dunno where you get this "one week off every month." Sick leave accrual is 8 hours a month.

These days, the pay of federal employees seems to have fallen behind that of state and local employees. One of the few remaining bastions of union strength is that which represents state and local government employees. This may be a reason local governments and school districts are all going broke and constantly asking for more money.

Federal employees don't have the option of striking for higher pay, either. Which is a restriction that usually doesn't restrain public employee unions representing state and local workers. Unless the USC has been changed since I retired. I think there are some court cases that uphold the USC.
The kid that changed the garbage in the state parks made more than I did with the government after 20 years

I'm not gonna hate on Juneteenth. But no, I don't like the name at all. "Emancipation Day" was much more fitting. But I do think that as Americans, celebrating the emancipation of the slaves is worthy of a federal holiday.

Nope, the leave accrual does increase as one's seniority increases, but even after 12 years, a state employee is only gonna get 18 days off per year. Dunno where you get this "one week off every month." Sick leave accrual is 8 hours a month.
Vacation alone is 25 days
Does not include sick or holidays

I exaggerated, it's only four days off per month for a 12 year person. :D

Unless the weather go wet. I will be sleeping to at least Noon getting up doing the breakfast coffee thing puttering around the shop for a few hours then eating dinner and packing my lunch (more like midnight snack) And leaving for work most likely around 6pm Then Night Paving on Santiam Pass until Midnight at which time I will be doing the same thing on June 20th until we are done for the night hopefully before 5am.

As to the Holiday I doubt this will ever have any effect past not getting mail in my life. Anymore then Ramadan or the 5th of May does. Its just not part of my life.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top