JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trader Joe's used to have kippered snacks, in the green can (discontinued) that was just the right size for the sourdough bread slice. made a great sandwich with any condiment you desire.

Trader Joe's used to have kippered snacks, in the green can (discontinued) that was just the right size for the sourdough bread slice. made a great sandwich with any condiment you desire.
Those Brunswick kippered snacks are really quite tasty. Winco carries them for about $1.80 a can at times and buy them by the case. A few different varieties are available.

1718685667889.png

I'm not much of a fan of Trader Joe's. They "seem" cheap, but it's mostly a deception. If you price things out per ounce, most of their stuff is a rip-off.

Canned salmon, I use the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (which is decades old) to make salmon patties. Which I like, but Mrs. Merkt says stink up the house.

Tuna, for me best mixed with mayo and a bit of pickle relish for sandwiches.

Sometimes I eat salmon and tuna straight outta the can. Tuna comes packed in water or oil. Mrs. Merkt prefers water due to fewer calories. I like packed in oil, but these days since my digestive system isn't what is used to be, I drain some of it off.

I used to like tinned, smoked oysters before they started being packed in China. Since then, I've had them a couple of times when they tasted off so I gave them up.

Not long ago, I discovered Wahoo fish at the commissary, packed in Indonesia in oil. It's like tuna only not as fishy tasting.

Mackerel I have never found to be edible. The natural taste of it would have to be completely disguised for me to be able to gag it down.

Canned, boned chicken can be very tasty, depending upon what company packed it. It was one of my favorite C ration entrees in the army. Not long ago, I bought a small can of chicken at a dollar store, it was packed in Canada. It wasn't like boned chicken, it was more like a puree but it was mighty tasty. Not quite like baby food but almost.

Those Brunswick kippered snacks are really quite tasty. Winco carries them for about $1.80 a can at times and buy them by the case. A few different varieties are available.

View attachment 1901654

I'm not much of a fan of Trader Joe's. They "seem" cheap, but it's mostly a deception. If you price things out per ounce, most of their stuff is a rip-off.
the only thing i buy at trader joe's is the canned salmon and the kippers ( now discontiued). i tried the canned salmon at Bi Mart once but only once.

Tuna, for me best mixed with mayo and a bit of pickle relish for sandwiches.

Sometimes I eat salmon and tuna straight outta the can. Tuna comes packed in water or oil. Mrs. Merkt prefers water due to fewer calories. I like packed in oil, but these days since my digestive system isn't what is used to be, I drain some of it off.

Mackerel I have never found to be edible. The natural taste of it would have to be completely disguised for me to be able to gag it down.
Some fish cans pretty okay, but some just doesn't. I love tuna, but have never met a can of tuna I enjoyed.

One thing to keep in mind. Any fish packed in water... the water leeches the nutrients and oils from the meat. Typically making it quite dry... and draining the liquid down the sink you loose quite of lot of it's nutritional value. Oil is a much better nutritional preservative.

You can slurp the juice or if you like a bit of ramen noodles with your sandwich, draining the water off into your noodle pot still gives you the nutrients and also adds more flavor. Into a cup of tomato juice (or similar) is another option that can be pretty tasty.

Waste not, want not.👍

the only thing i buy at trader joe's is the canned salmon and the kippers ( now discontiued). i tried the canned salmon at Bi Mart once but only once.
Other than Tuna, Salmon is the other I don't care much for canned. Most brands I've tried the salmon always comes out so dry. Making it into a sandwich or cracker spread isn't too bad, but they both seem to suffer the most in the canning process.

Food is food, and I won't turn it away, but I can't say I "enjoy" it. :s0155:

the trader Joe's kippered herring was canned in oil, sadly discontinued. the salmon is canned in water. i always drink the water from the salmon can. the natural oil in the salmon prevents the fish from being too dry. i always buy the red salmon because it has the bones and skin. the bones and skin have lots of nutrients and good oils. I used to give the tuna water to the cat, she loved it. cat is gone now so i guess i will drink the tuna juice.

Tuna fish glop. 15 min prep, serves 4-6
2 cans tuna (best with fancy albacore, not the cat food junk)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Bag of frozen peas
1 med - large onion
1/4-1/2 stick butter
1/2 to 1 bag of narrow egg noodles
Pepper & salt to taste

Sautee the onion
Add the mushroom soup and follow with two cans of water
Add the tuna
Bring to a soft boil
Add peas
Add the noodles
Serve once the noodles soften.

Last Edited:
Bunch of foodies on here. Salmon, kipper, .23 cent sardines, and maybe tuna. Mix together with salt and pepper then eat it. Big bowl like Al Bundy used to have. Might get wild and throw some shredded lettuce and kimchi in the mix. Or avocado based mayo. Done in two minutes. Just have to keep the cats at bay.

Salmon is the other I don't care much for canned.
It was a big mover in WW2. As a resource, it was almost free. It kept, shipped, and stored well. It was a quick and easy source of protein for the military. Healthier than Spam but I doubt most people of that era gave that a thought.

It was a big mover in WW2. As a resource, it was almost free. It kept, shipped, and stored well. It was a quick and easy source of protein for the military. Healthier than Spam but I doubt most people of that era gave that a thought.
In that situation I would happily chow down. It's not at all "bad" canned when you're hungry and in need, but just your average "everyday" situation... on the dry side unless you make it into a spread of some sort... I ask myself, why?? 🤣

In my youth I was very poor so I have a different mindset about food. I don't mind if it happens to taste good but it isn't a huge deal. Drink Cod Liver Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Extra Virgin olive oil daily. Tablespoon of each every morning and normally don't eat until noon. Many could not do that w/o gagging. Like I said, foodies hahaha.

Lots of .23 cent cans of sardines still left in boxes to burn through! Pass on the sardines if you have gout issues, other than that, close to pasture eggs for the best source of Omega 3s on the planet.

Fishy.JPEG

Or, what are your favorite additives? (Tomato, lemon juice black pepper, red peppers, etc)
Interesting question. Randomly:

• The sardines in hot sauce are pretty good. I've found the La Sirena brand the best, though the Beach Cliff in Louisiana Hot Sauce ain't bad.
  • Sardines in mustard is pretty good, either straight out of can or on rye cracker.
  • The oysters in garlic butter sauce are surprisingly good. For whatever it is worth, they are on sale at Rays right now at a rate I can't find at Walfart or Amazon.
  • The Appel herring fillets in tomato and curry sauce ain't bad.
And I'm sure some I've forgotten. Cheer. :s0155:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top