JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sportsman's guide has SIG DAK p226 .40 LE trade ins for $365 shipped right now with code ultimate20. I wouldn't want DAK trigger personally but someone might want one for that price. Thats what I mean in my post above that one reason to get .40 would be for value.

"IMO the reason to get .40 is value (meaning bang for the buck). Sig p226 LE trade in are available and reasonably priced. Glock LE trade ones are $269-$300. The other reason is if you want a bit more punch than 9mm.

The reason to get 45acp is 1911s.

The reason to get 10mm is power. "

If I was going to add one, it would definitely be the 10mm. Maybe that's because I already own two forties (dead and obsolete as they may be :rolleyes:) and no 10mms. :s0092:

@oremike was kind enough to let me shoot his Sig Legion 10mm last week on Gun Day Fun Day and that was a hoot. Only the third 10mm I've ever fired and definitely the nicest. And (just for you @sobo) it only went off when I pulled the trigger. :p

If I was going to add one, it would definitely be the 10mm. Maybe that's because I already own two forties (dead and obsolete as they may be :rolleyes:) and no 10mms. :s0092:

@oremike was kind enough to let me shoot his Sig Legion 10mm last week on Gun Day Fun Day and that was a hoot. Only the third 10mm I've ever fired and definitely the nicest. And (just for you @sobo) it only went off when I pulled the trigger. :p
My quest for the just right 10mm started with a EEA witness compact that I think some of that brass still hasn't hit the ground yet. It was a light gun and under sprung, mean to shoot with real 10mm ammo. Next was the G-40 MOS and then a Springfield 5.25 XD(m). I didn't care for the ploymer frame flex with the real loads. It made the guns feel like they were squirming around in my grip and I'd have to re-adjust every couple of shots. When I got the Sig I haven't felt the need to look any further. Yes it's big, heavy and only holds 8 rounds but it's very accurate and hard hitting. A lot of people compare the 10 to the 45 because they come in the same size guns but the 10 is more modern and dare I say hotter. A 230 bullet in 45 is about 850 fps where as the 10mm shoots a 180 gr bullet at about 1300 fps. As a real world perspective the 45 was made to knock a man down and the 10mm was made to break the spine of a big angry critter at any angle as it passes through.

My quest for the just right 10mm started with a EEA witness compact that I think some of that brass still hasn't hit the ground yet. It was a light gun and under sprung, mean to shoot with real 10mm ammo. Next was the G-40 MOS and then a Springfield 5.25 XD(m). I didn't care for the ploymer frame flex with the real loads. It made the guns feel like they were squirming around in my grip and I'd have to re-adjust every couple of shots. When I got the Sig I haven't felt the need to look any further. Yes it's big, heavy and only holds 8 rounds but it's very accurate and hard hitting. A lot of people compare the 10 to the 45 because they come in the same size guns but the 10 is more modern and dare I say hotter. A 230 bullet in 45 is about 850 fps where as the 10mm shoots a 180 gr bullet at about 1300 fps. As a real world perspective the 45 was made to knock a man down and the 10mm was made to break the spine of a big angry critter at any angle as it passes through.
Of course the 10mm is hotter, .45 acp was meant to replicate .45 colt (blackpowder) but in a shorter case.

You can go .460 rowland but the downsides aren't worth the few extra hundred ft-lbs of energy. .45 WM is a good round but so few guns even made in it these days, and you're encroaching on big hands required territory.

Of course the 10mm is hotter, .45 acp was meant to replicate .45 colt (blackpowder) but in a shorter case.

You can go .460 rowland but the downsides aren't worth the few extra hundred ft-lbs of energy. .45 WM is a good round but so few guns even made in it these days, and you're encroaching on big hands required territory.
45 Super & 450SMC do everything a 10mm will do out of a good condition modern handgun, requiring just a stiffer recoil spring.

I ran it through my Para Ordnance 1911 and G30S before getting back into 10mm.

Sportsman's guide has SIG DAK p226 .40 LE trade ins for $365 shipped right now with code ultimate20. I wouldn't want DAK trigger personally but someone might want one for that price. Thats what I mean in my post above that one reason to get .40 would be for value.

"IMO the reason to get .40 is value (meaning bang for the buck). Sig p226 LE trade in are available and reasonably priced. Glock LE trade ones are $269-$300. The other reason is if you want a bit more punch than 9mm.
You can convert DAK to DA/SA fairly easily and cheaply.

What I would do, if I didn't already have three 226s DA/SA pistolas with both .40 & 9mm uppers, would be:

1) Get a good condition PD Tradein for $365.
2) Send it to the SIG Armorer to have him convert it to DA/SA while also doing his really nice trigger/action work on it.
3) Get a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel.

Starting off with an inexpensive pistol that is fine as is, gives you more budget leeway to make it a really nice custom gun. Just putting a "super strut" and a SRT trigger in, can give you a nice trigger (assuming you are working with a DA/SA gun).

45 Super & 450SMC do everything a 10mm will do out of a good condition modern handgun, requiring just a stiffer recoil spring.

I ran it through my Para Ordnance 1911 and G30S before getting back into 10mm.
And .45 Super can handle heavier projectiles - although 10mm might have a better sectional density.

I do not feel at a disadvantage (compared to 10mm) with a 13-15 rd semi shooting .45 Super 255 gr hardcast flatpoint. And there is always the .460 Rowland option - although the ammo is more expensive.

I've only had a USP in 40. It shot alright, I just loved how my gen 3 g20 shot much better so I ran it much more. If you're looking for protection, look at barrel length if you go 10mm. Just because it's 10mm doesn't mean you get the same velocity so it might as well be 40 if it's a compact.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top