JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unfortunately I may have already bought some but what powders will not work well with large rifle primers in place of large rifle magnum primers? I have 25-06, 270 Win and 300 Win Mag as the largest capacity cartridges I would be using the magnum powders in.

You're not dealing with any of the super slow powders for those, e.g. H4831, RL22, etc.
If you dig deep enough, you'll find articles on primer brisance, and other articles on load development accuracy using different primers, like using standard in place of Magnum, etc.
Forge ahead and don't worry about it.

You're not dealing with any of the super slow powders for those, e.g. H4831, RL22, etc.
If you dig deep enough, you'll find articles on primer brisance, and other articles on load development accuracy using different primers, like using standard in place of Magnum, etc.
Forge ahead and don't worry about it.
I bought some H-1000 and Magpro, I am hoping the large rifle will work with those.

I once subbed large pistol primers instead of large pistol magnum for my 50 Beowulf. Two hangfires in a row they got demilled. Way different than what the op is trying but just my experience.

I bought some H-1000 and Magpro, I am hoping the large rifle will work with those.
I have used large rifle magnum primers exclusively with those two powders in .270WSM and .300 Win Mag loads. A couple decades ago I tested different primers with Vihtavuori N-165 in my .270WSM and found the best accuracy with standard Federal 210 primers and my 65.0 gr load. H-1000 might be okay with standard caps, but MagPro, being a slow burning spherical powder might need the hotter primers to get proper ignition, particularly in cold weather.
Oh, and I also discovered that not all magnum primers are created equal. I have some Sellier & Belot large rifle magnum primers that gave hang fires in my son's .300 Win Mag Savage with H-1000. CCI-250's cured that. (FWIW, the S&B LRM primers have worked great in my .308 and .270 Win and I got a great deal on them 👍)

It kind of depends on the brand of primers. One brands standard primer could be hotter than another brands magnum primer. From what l remember, European primers, especially Russian had some serious spark compared to American brands.

It kind of depends on the brand of primers. One brands standard primer could be hotter than another brands magnum primer. From what l remember, European primers, especially Russian had some serious spark compared to American brands.
I found a chart that listed Winchester as just below Magnum primers.

1719421707254.png

I heard that lil' gun is fussy stuff. I received a number of jugs of it with the big 300BO lot I bought. It seems like it has a very narrow range it works in. I am going to be extra careful working with it.
The issue I had was the case was so large that the powder had plenty of room to move around. It's possible the powder was not in contact with the primer end of the case upon ignition.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top