JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If there's no extra charge for using a credit card, I'll use a card with points. If it's cheaper to use debit and I trust the site a lot, I have no issue using debit. I've never had an issue, but I only do this with really big, super trustworthy sites.
The "risk" is seldom the site, its who is taking down that info. Who are they using to process and who gets to see that info. If someone sells the numbers and suddenly your account is hit your bank will give the money back but, make sure its not going to be a problem is you have that account cleaned out for a few days.

It doesnt matter how a debit card is used, the card number is the same and goes to your money not the banks. The Visa link on debit cards is only there to give it access to purchasing at stores etc. since the Visa system is already in place. No matter how you use it, its not a credit card it subtracts straight from your money.
Side note: banks will respond quicker to fraud claims when the money is theirs.

I know several are commenting on this already just trying to add to the why not to use it. Ive stopped using mine altogether.
For this reason, i have started to use actual CCs again. Never liked to write a cheque for my purchases at the end of every month but after fighting a scam charge of $57.99 USD, my bank pissed me off by doing stupid investivative work, which I did to prove the scam.

I use a debit card frequently. Every time a scammer has tried to use my account the bank (USAA) blocks the charge and alerts me. I've never lost any of my own money to a scam. Which banks do you all use that leave you without the protections of a CC?

never ever ever use a debit card only ever use a credit card
I've had a Debit card for 4 years and not one problem. I've bought guns with it too, still no problems. In fact, when I once bought a gun, Wells Fargo (and yes, I know they are a terrible bank) halted the purchase but reached out to me to confirm that it was me. Once I got it squared away, it was good to go.

Left nipple doubles as a chip reader. Super secure.
1718770239317.png

I doubt its the stores.
I can find anyone anywhere and always have no matter what media form used.
Old school here and we used to run drills for fun to hack websites.
The technicians today are master manipulator I actually admire their skills.
I don't admire the theft.
What you think is safe, its not. Its just not worth the risk is why its safe for now.
Or there is not enough profit.
And my guess you most likely did not check out where you think you did.
I wont go into details but its easy to get you to check out at a fake checkout over a real one.

Amazon is really good about that. I've had them handle botched deliveries several times - 99% of the time everything goes well, but occasionally something gets lost - sometimes it shows up later. One time I got a "refurbished" scope with an illuminated reticle that would not light, and they handled the issue with no problems.

Just the same, I am very careful about checking prices for stuff and usually only buy something from them when it is on sale, and the price is actually good. I ignore their pre-sale price amount as it is usually inflated, and I compare to other sellers. But I do buy a LOT of Amazon stuff - $$$$ per year.
Wife buys a lot of the returned / refurbished stuff. Almost every time what claims "refurbished" looks like it was simply a case of someone bought it or was gifted it and did not want it. Often looks like it was never taken out of packaging. Now and then she has gotten something she was quite disappointed in. Even that stuff Amazon takes back at no cost without kicking. I certainly hate how they use the money I give them but, when I tried no shopping with them I soon found the only person I was punishing was me.

I use a debit card frequently. Every time a scammer has tried to use my account the bank (USAA) blocks the charge and alerts me. I've never lost any of my own money to a scam. Which banks do you all use that leave you without the protections of a CC?
The debit cards that have the Visa or MC logo protect you only because the banks were forced into it. When those first started to become a thing they did not and law makers were going to step in. The rub is giving out that info someone can take a good chunk of the cash in that account. Yes the bank will put it back but, make sure you have the means to not have a problem if it takes them a few days. A LOT of people would be in real trouble real fast. The people who claim they love using a debit card and never have a problem remind me of the people who drive 20 over posted and never get a ticket. Yes many do. Many of them go decades and never have to pay. That does not mean one day they will not. Now if someone has screwed their credit to the point they just can't get a credit card? Or if they are not able to control themselves when they had one? That is a different story of course.

Using a debit card in 2024 is analogized to driving 20 mph over the speed limit? That is not logic that I would agree with. But everyone can make their own choices.
Not even close.

When bad doobies steal your debit card info, they steal YOUR money. When they get ahold of your credit card info, they steal the BANKS money.

Debit cards do not offer the same fraud protections that credit cards do.

The Visa/MC logo & card number is there simply so payments can be process through the Visa/MC network. It does not give you the same feature as an actual credit card.

Now a good bank will have your back and likely eat the stolen amount. They have no requirement to do so, however.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top