JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a walther p22 that has been excellent from day 1 and it is around 20yrs old now. This one is my favorite. Dependable and accurate all day long. (Don't bother w/ the laser)
Sig mosquito (gsg). Feels good in the hand but it is finniky and not reliable.
Keltec cp33 is dependable IF mags are loaded properly with higher quality ammo used. Long sight radius and well balanced. Now that I have mine figured out I smirk and chuckle when I see someone else trying to sell their "piece of junk". Utilizing a pmr30 speedloader here helps a lot.
Have 2 pmr30's. One for now, and one for when the "now" is worn out. Once I figured out the elevation is set for 100yds I know how to compensate. Have my eye on the latest walther in the wmr as well.
Brother in law has the beretta neos. Ugly if you ask me, but I think he still likes it.
This was quick and to the point. If I had any advice to give then I would suggest steering clear of gsg copycat pistols. At least as far as the mosquito is concerned.. I'm not a big fan

Last Edited:
I have a walther p22 that has been excellent from day 1 and it is around 20yrs old now. This one is my favorite. Dependable and accurate all day long. (Don't bother w/ the laser)
Sig mosquito (umarex). Feels good in the hand but it is finniky and not reliable.
Keltec cp33 is dependable IF mags are loaded properly with higher quality ammo used. Long sight radius and well balanced. Now that I have mine figured out I smirk and chuckle when I see someone else trying to sell their "piece of junk". Utilizing a pmr30 speedloader here helps a lot.
Have 2 pmr30's. One for now, and one for when the "now" is worn out. Once I figured out the elevation is set for 100yds I know how to compensate. Have my eye on the latest walther in the wmr as well.
Brother in law has the beretta neos. Ugly if you ask me, but I think he still likes it.
This was quick and to the point. If I had any advice to give then I would suggest steering clear of umarex copycat pistols. At least as far as the mosquito is concerned.. I'm not a big fan
Don't confuse GSG and Walther/Umarex. GSG has nothing to do with Walther and are not known for making reliable guns. GSG makes the mosquito and some other clones such as mp5 (they call it something different now after being sued) and mp40 etc. A Walther mp5 is awesome. GSG mp5 not so much.

I own probably 10 plus Walther made .22s, many of them being clones, and they have all been excellent. Umarex has owner Walther since 1993.

Don't confuse GSG and Walther/Umarex. GSG has nothing to do with Walther and are not known for making reliable guns. GSG makes the mosquito and some other clones such as mp5 (they call it something different now after being sued) and mp40 etc. A Walther mp5 is awesome. GSG mp5 not so much.

I own probably 10 plus Walther made .22s, many of them being clones, and they have all been excellent. Umarex has owner Walther since 1993.
You're correct! I did get my copycat-ers mixed up. That gsg has been a disappointment. (I re-edited the post to clear that up)

You're correct! I did get my copycat-ers mixed up. That gsg has been a disappointment. (I re-edited the post to clear that up)
I hear you it's hard to keep them straight. I think GSG did another hk clone in the past (can't recall which one) and peopel that had GSG hated it and people that had the Walther loved it. It's confusing. If the mp40 9mm clone wasn't made by GSG I would have bought it already. Not going to risk it for any gun from GSG though.

I also have a "finicky" Walther P22 (1st Gen). It chokes on my "good ammo". But, it loves Remington "Golden Bullet-Value Pack Ammo" and even the "Thunderbolts". Go figure.

The take away is......

Test your 22LR firearm with different ammo.

Warning.
1717889571024.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The Walther P22 that I had was an older on that has a finicky reputation. The newer ones are supposed to be better.
Yep that first gen p22 had a reputation for jams. The second generation fixed the issue. My 2nd generation p22 will feed anything but I can't say it's that accurate. Saw them for $209 on sale last week. Good little suppressor host and I love the da/sa with decocker/safety. Not as accurate as other pistols though imo. I usually shoot first round in single action. Tandemkross sells a 2 mag kit for $26 that increase mags capacity to 15 rounds. They mag extenders work great.

Here's a video that explains the difference between gen 1 and 2 (called p22Q). Recoil spring being the cause. Skip to 5:15 mark. Some people have had no problems with the gen 1 fwiw.

View: https://youtu.be/JLc6o7v5VD4?si=nSoNcjWzzS3I1ivt

Last Edited:
Yes, speaking of ammo... This is not to hijack the thread, but also for consideration when purchasing an autoloader .22. Depending on which you choose they may not like higher velocity ammo. It will quite literally break the slide close to the muzzle from repeated blowback that is too violent. Springs can be changed to accommodate, but also need to be aware of this first

Yes, speaking of ammo... This is not to hijack the thread, but also for consideration when purchasing an autoloader .22. Depending on which you choose they may not like higher velocity ammo. It will quite literally break the slide close to the muzzle from repeated blowback that is too violent. Springs can be changed to accommodate, but also need to be aware of this first
True, especially for older guns designed to work with lower power 22lr.

Im always very careful to research the opposite, will it work totally reliably with subsonics. That info can be damn hard to find. Some .22s I've spent hours researching trying to find it. Sometimes you just have to buy it and find out ha ha.

Cci standard velocity is my "standard". If it will cycle those reliably when gun is mostly clean then I know it will reliably cycle cci quiet semi auto (NOT cci quiet 710fps or cci quiet segmented), American eagle suppressor, and other subs (excluding colibri).

So far the only gun I can get to reliably shoot cci quiet 710 fps is a browning buckmark. And that is only when it's clean and has been lubed with ceramic lube. Asking a gun to cycle with those (not the semi auto version) is asking a lot. Those cci quiet 710fps rounds are also horribly inconsistent.

Last Edited:
Looking for something thats not gonna break the bank, reliable and cheap to get magazines for. I'm just looking for any suggestions before I go looking at some
It's probably been said repeatedly, but the Taurus TX22 is beyond reproach. Including rifles, one of the most reliable rimfires I've owned. Gun's cheap, mags are cheap, suppressor ready out of the box, stupid easy to be accurate with. The Keltec P17 works great now that they've ironed out the kinks, I think it's my favorite suppressor host, even over my TX22 and Ruger MKIV lite. There's a lot of fun to be had with not a lot of money when it comes to .22s, I'll always be a rimfire fanatic.

"Test your 22LR firearm with different ammo."

If there is one immutable axiom of rimfire shooting, this is it.

Test for accuracy, but also test for function, fouling issues, and bullet performance (If hunting ammo).

Testing nearly every .22lr hollowpoint ammo I could find, it was shocking how many offerings exhibited EXTREMELY poor or erratic expansion of the hollowpoint bullet, even when fired into "hollowpoint friendly" test media such as a water jug or wet phone books. Economical .22's are almost without exception literally "hit and miss" for reliability, and dirty a gun in short order. The "extreme" high velocity stuff (Stingers, etc.) can be entirely disagreeable accuracy-wise to many guns. Yeah, they'll take out a Jackrabbit's lungs as long as you manage to hit him.

The stand-out exception is CCI Mini Mag Hollowpoints. 100% expansion reliability. This bullet does not fragment, but mushrooms like a magazine add for a highpower bullet. Accurate, clean, reliable function in every gun tried. Target ammo may shoot better, but cannot deliver clean kills as often.

For Kimber's (Ciener) .22lr conversion kit for their 1911 .45's, CCI mini mags are specified.

Good reason for it. :cool:

I've had mine for maybe a month and shoot nothing but federal auto match lead round nose through it. And have shot over a 1000 rounds through it and use it for steel matches. I've had literally one malfunction out of it maybe yours is a lemon and needs to be sent in. I do clean it after every time I shoot it but I do that with all my guns.
Maybe. I wrote Ruger about it. They confirmed, in the following email, that the Mk IV is, indeed, fussy:

The Ruger Mark-IV work best with standard or high velocity 22 Long Rifle ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1100 to 1400fps CCI Mini Mags are what we use to test. Subsonic will not cycle properly. Hollow points are ok. But truncated cone bullets may catch on the square shoulder. Stingers are ok but may have some feeding issues due to the longer cases. We hope this helps. Thanks for the e-mail and have a great day.

I just sold mine a couple days ago, in order to buy a P322.

Maybe. I wrote Ruger about it. They confirmed, in the following email, that the Mk IV is, indeed, fussy:

The Ruger Mark-IV work best with standard or high velocity 22 Long Rifle ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1100 to 1400fps CCI Mini Mags are what we use to test. Subsonic will not cycle properly. Hollow points are ok. But truncated cone bullets may catch on the square shoulder. Stingers are ok but may have some feeding issues due to the longer cases. We hope this helps. Thanks for the e-mail and have a great day.

Wow the manufacturer says it won't cycle subs? Yikes!

The Ruger Mark-IV work best with standard or high velocity 22 Long Rifle ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1100 to 1400fps CCI Mini Mags are what we use to test. Subsonic will not cycle properly.
We ran about 300 rounds of CCI Quiet 45 grain 835 FPS Target ammo through a 5.5" Mark IV Hunter last week and had zero issues. Perfect feeding/cycling and great fun.

It's pretty weird they would say that when they just released a "Silencer Shop Exclusive" 3" Tactical Mark IV that has no reason to exist except to shoot subsonic suppressed.

To run subs are you running a suppressor as well ? Mine goes no questions and will also run shorts.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top