JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think that will be necessary. Plugging the pipe will create all the pressure you will need.
In all seriousness the squib was essentially a plugged pipe. That pressure went somewhere other than out the end of the barrel? I believe most of the pressure escaped out the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone area. I noticed more flashing in that area when I was shooting the really low pressure Bullseye loads compared to normal loads.

The wife was napping so I took the opportunity to load up 50 more rounds of 40 S&W with the #164 powder. This time I reduced the charge weight from 6 grains to 5.7/5.8.
Playing hard ball today...

1000001078.jpg 1000001079.jpg

I partially resized fifty 223 cases, primed them and charged them with 23 grain loads of "similar to TAC" powder. Tomorrow morning I will top them off with 75gr BTHP bullets (no crimp). After those are complete I am going to full length size another 50 cases and load them with the same charge and bullet plus crimp them.

I partially resized fifty 223 cases, primed them and charged them with 23 grain loads of "similar to TAC" powder. Tomorrow morning I will top them off with 75gr BTHP bullets (no crimp). After those are complete I am going to full length size another 50 cases and load them with the same charge and bullet plus crimp them.
Since you are using a "similar to TAC" powder, I might have loaded a ladder starting at 21.0 gr and worked up in .5 gr increments to 23.0 or 23.5 gr. to make sure it really is close to TAC. Maybe 5 rounds at each charge weight, checking for pressure, accuracy and velocity consistency (if you have a chronograph). Might make for fewer bullets to pull if it turns out the powder is closer to Accurate 2200 or similar.
I presume you are loading these for a bolt action rifle. I rarely crimp bolt action rounds, but usually put a mild crimp on AR rounds.

Since you are using a "similar to TAC" powder, I might have loaded a ladder starting at 21.0 gr and worked up in .5 gr increments to 23.0 or 23.5 gr. to make sure it really is close to TAC. Maybe 5 rounds at each charge weight, checking for pressure, accuracy and velocity consistency (if you have a chronograph). Might make for fewer bullets to pull if it turns out the powder is closer to Accurate 2200 or similar.

Not a bad idea.

Edit: I will reduce the charge in a few to confirm 23 grains won't be over pressure. I did test some with 55gr and 62gr bullets on Friday and didn't see any signs of high pressures.

Last Edited:
I hesitated to post this smart Alec remark.
One should always extremely mindful every time you pull the trigger whether it is handloads or factory ammo to make sure each round functions as it should to avoid damage to the firearm and up to including bodily damage.
It was funny and worth it:)

BTW, I used a chamber flag (which extended from muzzle to cylinder) to check that my barrel was clear after every low powered round, I shot yesterday.

I presume you are loading these for a bolt action rifle. I rarely crimp bolt action rounds, but usually put a mild crimp on AR rounds.
I downloaded 5 cases to 22.5 grains and 5 cases to 22 grains. Along with all the ladder testing, I did with other bullets on Friday, I am confident this should be sufficient to test this bullet weight with this powder.

Finished off 50 rounds of 223, partial sized, no crimp. 40 rounds are 23 grains of TAC, 5 rounds are 22.5 grains and 5 rounds are 22 grains. All rounds have deformed 75gr BTHP bullets in them. I test loaded about 10 of these partially sized rounds into my Savage and they chambered easily.

1000003326.jpg

1000003328.jpg

1000003327.jpg

Up next is another batch of 40rnds with 23 grains and the deformed 75gr BTHP bullets. On this batch I will full length size the brass and use Lee collet crimp die to crimp into cannelure.

Doesn't work very well. Tried that yesterday at 75 yards. Came in to 50 and it was I little better.
A MISO rear sight lens installed in a national match hooded rear sight might be your answer.
I have 2 of them one on a Garand and one on a M1A. It brings the front sight into focus on
the target. Works for MOST people. This will work in a Garand with a rear NM hooded sight aperture.
You can look through one of my rifles to see if it will work for you.

A MISO rear sight lens installed in a national match hooded rear sight might be your answer.
I have 2 of them one on a Garand and one on a M1A. It brings the front sight into focus on
the target. Works for MOST people. This will work in a Garand with a rear NM hooded sight aperture.
You can look through one of my rifles to see if it will work for you.
That looks interesting.
I presume this... https://www.amazon.com/AmmoGarand-N...KRATS+COLLECTIBLES+LLC&qid=1719757222&sr=8-13 is the National Match sight hood the MISO lens is referring to using?
It's more than I want to spend now I think. Would the NM sight hood alone improve the picture?

"Like TAC" likely means that the powder is Eurenco 1700. Swedish/French military powder which is TAC.

I finished up 40 more 223 rounds this morning. Now I have 40rnds fl sized + crimped and 40rnds partially sized, not crimped. The goal with these 80rnds is to see how much accuracy is gained or lost by partially sizing vs FL sizing.

Last week I was working on 38 special.

Finished - final total is 1,474 rounds. Totally plinking ammo for my revolvers and Rossi carbine.

Several different projectiles. Used up a bunch of small quantities of left-over projectiles from large reloading projects in the past. (Cleaning up the stragglers.)

Most projectiles were new Berry's, new X-treme, American Reloading Blems and American Reloading Pulls. Weights were 125g, 148g and 158g. About a 50/50 mix between FMJ-RN and TMJ-RN and FN.

After cross referencing a bunch of load data sources, I landed on a power charge of 3.6g to 3.7g of TiteGroup for ALL projectiles (those charge weights fell within the range of all of them). So, only had to setup the power drop one time for the entire project. (I'm lazy, I'll admit it.)

COAL for most was 1.475", but also ran about 500 rounds at 1.455". Medium crimp so they'll cycle in the Rossi.

Now I'm starting a project to clean and prep about 5000 9mm cases.

Pics of the 38 special are below.

Cheers.

IMG_3088 Large.jpeg IMG_3089 Large.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top