JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
200.gif

Edit to add: The Interwebs is such a funny place, 'specially for a childish person like me.

Last Edited:
To be clear here....
I don't mind paying a transfer fee at a gun shop.
I am taking up a shop clerk's / owner's time and all....and buying / trading for a non-store owned item.
I just don't think that all of that should cost me $50 or more dollars.

Asking that much for a transfer fee means that I am far less inclined to spend money that day in the shop.
I could easily spend that same $50 on ammo ...but it ain't gonna happen after a $50 transfer fee.
Andy

To be clear here....
I don't mind paying a transfer fee at a gun shop.
I am taking up a shop clerk's / owner's time and all....and buying / trading for a non-store owned item.
I just don't think that all of that should cost me $50 or more dollars.

Asking that much for a transfer fee means that I am far less inclined to spend money that day in the shop.
I could easily spend that same $50 on ammo ...but it ain't gonna happen after a $50 transfer fee.
Andy
Exactly! I'm actually less inclined of spending money there at all.

I don't like that FFL's charge extra for doing their job. The background check is part of their job. It's not an extra service.
...and as a business owner, his right to charge what the market will bear, balanced against his willingness to do it. It is NOT his job. It is a service he may or may not provide at his pleasure, and at his price. Same as drilling and tapping one hole. There is no compulsion. If one 'smith charges $50 and another $75, is the 'smith at $75 "gouging"? No.

My LGS owner (rest his soul) simply would NOT do a background check/transfer for any gun he did not sell. He WOULD politely refer them to another nearby business that would.

But then he, like me, was against the whole damned totalitarian process anyway, and believed it was his duty as a free man in the United States of America to keep every gun "off the books" that he could . By this method, he was pledging his "Life, Liberty and Sacred Honor".

A TRUE Patriot, and my heart hurts every day for his absence. :(

...and as a business owner, his right to charge what the market will bear, balanced against his willingness to do it. It is NOT his job. It is a service he may or may not provide at his pleasure, and at his price. Same as drilling and tapping one hole. There is no compulsion. If one 'smith charges $50 and another $75, is the 'smith at $75 "gouging"? No.

My LGS owner (rest his soul) simply would NOT do a background check/transfer for any gun he did not sell. He WOULD politely refer them to another nearby business that would.

But then he, like me, was against the whole damned totalitarian process anyway, and believed it was his duty as a free man in the United States of America to keep every gun "off the books" that he could . By this method, he was pledging his "Life, Liberty and Sacred Honor".

A TRUE Patriot, and my heart hurts every day for his absence. :(
The difference being it's a legal requirement to do the background check and has been for quite some time not so to drill and tap a hole. So that indeed does make it his job.

The difference being it's a legal requirement to do the background check and has been for quite some time not so to drill and tap a hole. So that indeed does make it his job.
I would value your knowledge in this area as greater than mine. To confirm: Tom and Dick walk into the gun shop and wanna do a transfer/background check on the gun Tom wants to sell to Dick. Gun shop owner is REQUIRED to provide that service?

If the law says yes (as a requirement to keep his FFL or some such, which does make it "his job"), this supplies a much greater understanding as to why some FFL's price that service prohibitively exorbitantly.

...but my LGS owner did not allow non-customers otherwise to interfere with his business at all. I watched him turn away multiple Toms and Dicks. Maybe if pressed with an existing law, he'd tell 'em, "Okay. Hundred bucks.", but I never heard that. Another method might be, "Well, my 'smith work is backing up, so it'll be a few days AND a hundred bucks."

Never heard that either. But certainly his prerogative.

I hear you on boomers! I'm a rabid Gen-Xer, my dad is a boomer (born in '47), that man has been in hock his entire life, constantly buying crap he doesn't need (or already has 2-3 of already), and has filed bankruptcy THREE TIMES (that I know of) and is up to his arse in debt to this very day.

He's 77, in very poor health, and he sits in front of his computer all day everyday "moving money" around to pay his balances. To top that off, the dummy just went out and bought (on credit) a pickup truck (that he doesn't EVEN REMOTELY need). We found out he's borrowed against 401ks, life insurance policies, etc, etc, etc

Then complains how expensive everything isā€¦.. the stubborn bastige won't be told, either!

What a way to spend your "golden years" and retirementā€¦. what a train wreck!

Boomers (currently) run the government, no wonder the national debt has gotten where it is!

"The borrow is slave to the lender" has never been more true!
VERY sad. NOT to make any excuse for someone his age screwing things this bad but, look at the example he has seen. The US has been spending like a drunken sailor for a good portion of his life. Law makers when cornered tell him this is "normal" and this is how its done. So I guess he tells himself why should he not do the same. The 3 times canceling debt is another great example. Since he has 3 times been able to just cancel the debt why learn to be more responsible. Kind of like kids who are bailed out over and over again so they learn nothing.
Long ago I worked with a guy who was at that time my age now. He had often openly bragged about how he filed bankruptcy every 7 years like clockwork. He was laughing at how good he was at it by then. File, then start looking for someone to extend credit. Soon take ALL the credit they could get, when the clock ran out file again. :(

Are we talking about two different things perhaps? Doing a background check on a firearm he has purchased and expects to make a profit on as a part of business, is far different than receiving a firearm into his inventory and then performing a background check for a firearm the shop owner did not purchase, and will not make a profit.

Are we talking about two different things perhaps? Doing a background check on a firearm he has purchased and expects to make a profit on as a part of business, is far different than receiving a firearm into his inventory and then performing a background check for a firearm the shop owner did not purchase, and will not make a profit.
We await the oracle.

Edited to add: 20 minutes. I still have faith....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top