JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The background check is part of their job. It's not an extra service.
Well, it IS - IF they are doing it to transfer a gun from a seller to a buyer, and not selling something out of their inventory, which for purposes of clarification is what is being discussed with regard to a $50 BGC fee correct? IE a private party , non LGS gun sale?

Ok IF so then $50 might seem like an exorbitant amount however what is the average time spent say by an FFL doing this?

I sold one gun after 941 via FFL transfer early on and the FFL only charged $10 however If I recall by the time everything was accomplished he had over a half hour into the whole process.

This took into account both the buyer and me coming into the store, intros, minor chit chat, the FFL handling all the admin requirements, the BGC etc. it WASN'T just a few minute process.

Fast forward to today. I read a LOT of posts about FFL transfers today and with the wait times, some FFLS not wanting to hold onto the guns I do NOT see any of this a taking just a 'few minutes'.

Now - take into account how many bizes charge 'Service fees' as an evaluation/diagnosis before doing anything? I do, I charge s $50 'service call' to diagnose a problem - and may only have a few minutes into it. AND my service all is typically less (way less) than most others in the same biz (mobile RV repair) .

NOW - if say the problem is something simple and I can repair it easily while I am there, possibly no parts involved I don't charge anything more than the $50 because I want to gain the customers trust and hopefully hear from them again.

Conclusion? is $50 BGC a lot ? Possibly, depending on how one interprets it however if it is for the purpose of a PP sale, no profit from a gun sale then considering the time the FFL may have it might NOT be so bad. HOWEVER on the flip side of the coin if the FFL were to show 'good faith' by charging say, $35 or maybe less then HE might send a message to the people who might remember him for future business.

Just my 2c worth....

Seems a lot are on dont it.. it is Summer break for those in the educational field, and a lot of seasonal workers..
Maybe a lot are just goofing off at work on phones? Who knows.

Perhaps a lot of the potential buyers here just want lower than retail prices, transfers/bg check fees included; perhaps they're busy paying for kids summer activities like camps, sports, swim lessons, so on.. or paying for daycare for those whose parents both work, speaking of which... I'm seeing ever increasingly high costs of daycares to the point it's cheaper to just have 1 parent work and 1 parent stay home.
It seems that the normal scenario of the little woman staying home has flipped over on its top and landed in the ditch and now guys are staying home…. :eek::eek::eek:

Sorry for my unfounded statements, you all are correct , if the FFL is providing a service to me he is entitled to charge a fee for that service. In looking back at my last purchases over the last year none were off the shelf purchases. All were either private party transfers or something I ordered and shipped to the FFL. So yes the fee was appropriate.

Last Edited:
I'll stay out of the ridiculous and myopic generational arguments in this thread.
"Will stay out of it"... but only after you've posted your opinion on the topic... Gotcha!

1719343902801.png

Can we just make an FAQ or automod that just answers and closes threads like this with the response "because you're overpricing?"
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the question and the OP/others gaining a little insight from those that make up the market they are trying to target. For someone that doesn't have a lot of experience selling firearms it can be helpful to understand the dynamics and considerations potential buyers are looking at when deciding if/and how much they are willing to pay.

At surface level, $450 for a like new handgun that's typically $500 brand new, it's understandable how a seller might feel they are offering a very fair deal.

...until they understand why potential buyers would disagree.

Sorry for my unfounded statements, you all are correct , if the FFL is providing a service to me he is entitled to charge a fee for that service. In looking back at my last purchases over the last year none were off the shelf purchases. All were either private party transfers or something I ordered and shipped to the FFL. So yes the fee was appropriate.
So Tom and Dick are appropriately advised to take their transfer elsewhere, and the FFL is under no obligation (legally) to perform that service unrelated otherwise to his business?

Here are the reasons some people think no one is buying on this forum:
  1. People asking almost new prices for used guns. I get why our classifieds have a policy about not responding to a post when the price is way to high, but methinks a little communication about that might be good. No one is buying your used gun for an almost new price. Price it aggressively, and if it is desirable it will sell.
  2. Soft economy. People dont have disposable income right now. May see an increase in sales once 114 litigation moves forward, and as we get closer to the elections.
  3. Sellers not willing to travel. Right now most people end up in the queue. Buyers are not willing to drive twice to you to buy your used gun. I have had great success offering to drive to them- yes costs a little more of my time/money, but worth it in the end. If you live way out of major populated areas, factor this in if you are wanting to sell.
  4. Buyers with good transaction history on this forum. Lots of new/unproven buyers. Would rather wait for a trusted longer term member with good transaction history, to not waste my time.
  5. Photos- take a few extra seconds/effort to take some high quality photos with good lighting. Stop posting fuzzy/blurry pics obviously taken in your mom's dank basement and posting photos taken with a potato . . .
I have sold multiple guns over the last few months, very successfully. Also met some very nice people on this forum doing it! ;-) All of them got what i would call a good deal. Did i have to lower the prices a little more than what the guns were 'valued' - yes, but that was worth it for me to sell more quickly and not worth it to not sell items or have to wait a long time to find a buyer just to make a few extra dollars.

I see hi point carbine(s?) Some mossberg or similar shotguns, several Glock copies (looks like P80s or other cheap glock copies?) And some ARs... too much of a risk though?
Learned young that "So, I pay you first, and you get to choose what I get in return?" wasn't in my best interest. Embarrassingly learned from experience. But it stuck.

Learned young that "So, I pay you first, and you get to choose what I get in return?" wasn't in my best interest. Embarrassingly learned from experience. But it stuck.
Yeah. In a pile like that too you only have their word with no means of ever proving that the items pictured were actually what they had available and were actually shipping. For all anyone knows, all they have are dud handguns. Every person get's a dud and how many are going to think much past, "I gambled, I lost, luck of the draw!"??

I paid off my 15yr mortgage almost 2yrs early, and we have ZERO credit card debt!

I pretty much pay "cash" for everything, or I wait until I have the funds to move forward on something. It's quite liberating.

A lot of Boomers were raised by The Greatest Generation. My parents were in their "Tween/Teens" during The Great Depression. Now THOSE people knew how to pinch a penny. Have you seen what it's like to clean up some of the houses of parents who spent their formative years during a depression after they pass? Mine never had debt. The only thing in their lives they had on credit for a time was a portion of the house they built in 1955. The rest of the house was payed with War Bonds
My folks were born in the early 30's. Dad's family wasn't wealthy, both of his parents worked most of his childhood. Mom's family was poor, especially after Grandpa fell and broke both knees. He was a riveter on bridges and there wasn't anything like Workers Comp then. My parents were very frugal their entire lives. Their son, Me, didn't heed their advice until he was 50 or so. I would refinance the house to buy what I wanted, but with one exception, the original 30 year date was my target. I ended up paying it off a year early.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top