JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honestly, don't know, as both of those factors are subjective. I just haven't had a hard time selling firearms here or on GB, in recent memory. 🤷‍♂️
You probably have desirable stuff priced so its a reasonable deal for both sides. The stuff I've seen that is highly desirable but seems to sit there is usually priced so that it is a good deal just for the seller.

I've had no trouble selling a good half dozen guns on consignment. Less than a week on the shelf in most cases. Buyers are still there, just not here.

I tend to jump my focus around from hobby to hobby.
Currently it is focused on researching the kind of cars my daughter wants for her first car.
Today, we are going to look at a 1992 Camaro for her.

That severely diminishes my want for another box of bullets or firearm to sit in the safe.
Her happiness makes up for not getting those things.

Definitely is slow. But stuff is sellable if you have it priced right. I have no problem taking a loss on certain things because I'm taking an even bigger loss by them sitting in a safe doing nothing. I always scour the new market and always try to make sure I'm at least 30% below that or else it'll be hard to justify buying a used one for someone else. In other words, try to think like the buyer when you're the seller.

I religiously scan ads for items that match my interest's,.....(Here and elsewhere.)

Some sellers price their quality items too close to brand new retail prices. (An item priced at $300.- when a brand new delivered item is $350-) I would rather pay the extra $50.- for the piece of mind of a brand new item with a warranty.

Ammo, most people involved in the shooting sports are well aware that lots of guys are not just looking to unload their surplus stock. Ammo has become a side business for them.

Just like "Playing" the stock market, some guys simply bought too much ammo at an inflated price and then they try to unload it without taking a "Haircut." Scratching their heads as to why their ammo won't move.

Price any item realistically by researching the market and it will sell.

My two centavos.

Most of the younger shooters have been raised with the belief that brand new is always better.

At least one here actually verbalized a personal absolute prohibition against "shooting someone else's used gun". Ignorance IS actually bliss, I guess.

They will gladly pay a thousand dollars for a new Bi-Mart "Henry" (they ain't Henrys), take it home, throw away all the paperwork and box, rendering it "just another used Henry", and in 5 or 10 years wonder why no one wants it unless they can steal it.

When a nice used Marlin would BEGIN as a better gun, shoot better, and make money all the time it is not being shot, returning at sale better than money in the bank.

I priced my 2 guns on here at what I'd consider to be fair prices as in what would get my interest if I was looking for like items. I'm not desperate for the sale but would like some portion of what I paid back in return. At this point with not even one offer trade or otherwise I'll just take them to the next gun show and put them on my table.

With the changes in WA, too much of a PITA for me to deal with used guns unless they happen to be local or willing to ship to my FFL.

I have a few things I'm not using anymore that I would sell, but again, just not worth the hassle.

I priced my 2 guns on here at what I'd consider to be fair prices as in what would get my interest if I was looking for like items. I'm not desperate for the sale but would like some portion of what I paid back in return. At this point with not even one offer trade or otherwise I'll just take them to the next gun show and put them on my table.
Not necessarily a "strategy", but one way of dealing with a paucity of buyers is to rarely sell, except when strongly motivated to get rid of the gun.

If the two referred to are the Scout and the Glock, these guns represent the far ends of the spectrum toward desirable used guns. I share the disbelief that the Glock has garnered no interest (I am not a Glock guy, but a buddy recently purchased that exact gun for more than you are asking). He borrowed some money to make the amount, and consequently when I saw Glock hats for sale at 8 bucks, I bought one and made him wear it for the rest of the show as a condition for the loan. Dealers were asking him if he lost a bet. :cool:

The Scout caught my eye, as another buddy hunts hogs in Texas, silenced a Ruger Deerstalker for the work. The Scout would be just as good, and a helluva lot cheaper, but ya gotta find a buyer headed to Texas for hogs. Not the same desirability that would cause a man to borrow money and suffer the indignity of wearing a cheap hat.

On the rare occasion that I do sell, I make the decision to SELL. A prospective buyer with genuine and high interest in the gun and who expresses an intent to actually put it to good use will get great consideration toward final pricing from me. A bargain hunter with little knowledge or true interest in the gun itself will not receive the same consideration.

I price to SELL when I want to get rid of a gun. If the desirability factor is low, I know when I buy it that that I'll end up taking a hit.

Last Edited:
Yeah Mike. There's nothing wrong with your pricing. I paid more for my Glock 22 used five years ago than you are asking. Maybe most folks already have a Glock. Given a little time, I think that one should sell at your price. That rifle you're offering is more of a niche item. Just need the right guy to come along that needs one. I don't think it's your pricing that is blocking either deal.

And then there's the idea that maybe some of us are holding out to see what else Mike might be looking to offload, and don't want to disburse all of our discretionary funds too soon. :p

1717694870754.png

That's literally an offer I got from someone. It was a listing for ammo and it was on armslist. That's the kind of ish that made me stop using armslist.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top