JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will be shooting 10mm today.
I have 2 doctor appointments tomorrow and I will be in shock if they don't try to drain some blood out of me.
Ain't live grand. My Heart Dr. changed a prescription and wants to be sure it didn't affect my Kidneys. I guess that's why they call it practicing medicine. I shot my 10mm yesterday but this ammo is for an order.

Got the LEE APP spring stiffness tighter using heat shrink tube and a coat hanger wire. This resolved having to manually pull back the shuttle. But I still have to give it a push forward to ensure the case is centered.

I can get pretty fast now.

I finished decapping my annealed brass. Onto decapping the cleaned 223/556 brass.

Here is how I process my 556 brass::

Anneal first if my machine is setup, otherwise wet clean first. Annealing works regardless of how clean the case is.

So in the many 5 gallon buckets in my garage, I process from one bucket to another.

Bucket 1: cleaned brass that needs annealing, decapping and swaging prior to size and trim. This is what I am working on decapping with the LEE APP. A 5 gallon bucket still takes considerable time.

Bucket 2: cleaned and decapped.
Bucket 3: cleaned/decapped/swaged.
Bucket 4: cleaned/decapped/swaged/annealed.

I currently have a bucket of just cleaned/annealed/decapped brass that is in need of swaging. I do mass swaging on the LEE APP, but I also have the SWAGE-IT for the 650xl if I desire.

Once I get that far I setup my Dillon 650xl with Dillon Trimmer to mass size/trim. Making quick work.

Then a final clean before tossing into bucket 5.

Bucket 5: cleaned/decapped/swaged/annealed/sized/trimmed.

Attachments

• 1000015929.jpg
    1000015929.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000015928.jpg
    1000015928.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000015927.jpg
    1000015927.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 9
A beginning and an end:

The very last of my linotype stash is now a pile of .44 pills that weigh in at 236gr. I will miss that alloy; it makes such great bullets.

That bullet mold in the corner just arrived last night, it's for .311 100gr. RN to feed my new .327 Federal Magnum SP-101.

20240612_065755_resized.jpg 20240612_065931_resized.jpg

A beginning and an end:

The very last of my linotype stash is now a pile of .44 pills that weigh in at 236gr. I will miss that alloy; it makes such great bullets.

That bullet mold in the corner just arrived last night, it's for .311 100gr. RN to feed my new .327 Federal Magnum SP-101.

View attachment 1898005 View attachment 1898007
To a bullet caster, I can imagine the sense of accomplishment and pride when you look at a box or tray full of those beauties! AND, as you put each shiny newly completed round in the ammo box! Mmm hmm...... :D

Not a cast bullet user, but I get a good feeling with every shiny, fresh loaded round, myself.

Last Edited:
Got the LEE APP spring stiffness tighter using heat shrink tube and a coat hanger wire. This resolved having to manually pull back the shuttle. But I still have to give it a push forward to ensure the case is centered.

I finished decapping my annealed brass. Onto decapping the cleaned 223/556 brass.

Anneal first if my machine is setup, otherwise wet clean first. Annealing works regardless of how clean the case is.

So in the many 5 gallon buckets in my garage, I process from one bucket to another.

Bucket 1: cleaned brass that needs annealing, decapping and swaging prior to size and trim. This is what I am working on decapping with the LEE APP. A 5 gallon bucket still takes considerable time.

I currently have a bucket of just cleaned/annealed/decapped brass that is in need of swaging. I do mass swaging on the LEE APP, but I also have the SWAGE-IT for the 650xl if I desire.

Once I get that far I setup my Dillon 650xl with Dillon Trimmer to mass size/trim. Making quick work.

How do you like the Swage-it?

1 of the plusses of the x10.
Size decap swage and trim with one pull of the handle and never touch the brass.
Thinking very seriously of getting a Super 1050 as the Frankford Arsenal seems to be more like the Lee version of the Super 1050.

To a bullet caster, I can imagine the sense of accomplishment and pride when you look at a box or try full of those beauties! AND, as you put each shiny newly completed round in the ammo box! Mmm hmm...... :D

Not a cast bullet user, but I get a good feeling with every shiny, fresh loaded round, myself.
Absolutely. I hope I never tire of that satisfaction or I will probably stop.

A beginning and an end:

View attachment 1898005 View attachment 1898007
I'm not a caster but I sure can appreciate a job well done. Nice job.

It has some downsides, because the case isn't supported internally, you'll occasionally rip the rim off one and push it out of the shell plate. This can be mitigated with a little case lube on the swage tip and ensuring the case is properly centered over the swage/prime station following Dillons instructions online.

View attachment 1898045 View attachment 1898046 View attachment 1898047 View attachment 1898048 View attachment 1898049
I did not like mine so I let it go to cut my losses.

Loaded up some 10mm's for my son for his birthday today:
50 with 180 gr Hornady HAP 10.5 gr Blue Dot, Fed GM150M, new GFL brass
50 with 200 gr Hornady HAP, 9.4 gr Blue Dot, FED GM150M, new GFL brass.

IMG_0184.jpeg

That's some old surplus powder. It's probably still fine, but surplus powder can be a little quirky. Be careful working up loads with it. There's plenty of info online.

Funny story about reloading; an acquaintance asked me if I have any small-primer .45 acp brass. He said he scrapped a lot of it over the years, absolutely hated it for it's sheer audacity of existing, because everyone knows that the old forty-five should always be large-primer. Anytime he ran across small-primer brass, he threw it away. Now that small primers are everywhere and large primers are a bit harder to come across, he's singing a very different tune. :)

That's some old surplus powder. It's probably still fine, but surplus powder can be a little quirky. Be careful working up loads with it. There's plenty of info online.

Funny story about reloading; an acquaintance asked me if I have any small-primer .45 acp brass. He said he scrapped a lot of it over the years, absolutely hated it for it's sheer audacity of existing, because everyone knows that the old forty-five should always be large-primer. Anytime he ran across small-primer brass, he threw it away. Now that small primers are everywhere and large primers are a bit harder to come across, he's singing a very different tune. :)
I share his opinions and still hold fast drawing the line.
NO SMALL POCKET .45ACP!

That is the very reason I hang onto small primer .45acp brass when I run across it. I have never bought that caliber of ammo with small primers, but over the years I have swept up enough of that brass and set it aside that I can keep shooting even without large primers.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top