JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had my Winchester Model 70 FW in 7mm Mauser out last week to zero the scope. So I've been prepping the brass, and today I got them reloaded. Now that the rifle is zeroed and the ammo is renewed, I probably won't touch it again for who knows how long. That's how it goes around here. I need to get into that back row in the safe and tune some of those up.
Funny how that works.

I had my Winchester Model 70 FW in 7mm Mauser out last week to zero the scope. So I've been prepping the brass, and today I got them reloaded. Now that the rifle is zeroed and the ammo is renewed, I probably won't touch it again for who knows how long. That's how it goes around here. I need to get into that back row in the safe and tune some of those up.
One of my goals is to record info for one of my firearms every week. I have a reminder set up in my phone calendar to do that every Friday morning. During that process I will also inspect the firearm for rust or oxidation issues and oil as necessary. This will likely take a couple of years to get them all recorded (including frames and receivers).

I have rifles like that in the back of the safe, neglected hunting rifles and "someday" projects. Some of them have been barely touched for 20+ years.

Lately I've really been asking myself why I even have them. They just sit there taking up space year after year. If I sold them though, the money would just get swallowed up in the black hole of medical bills and such, and they would just be gone. Maybe I'll have time to mess with them someday, so there they sit.

I have rifles like that in the back of the safe, neglected hunting rifles and "someday" projects. Some of them have been barely touched for 20+ years.

Lately I've really been asking myself why I even have them. They just sit there taking up space year after year. If I sold them though, the money would just get swallowed up in the black hole of medical bills and such, and they would just be gone. Maybe I'll have time to mess with them someday, so there they sit.
Hang in there. I know retirement has allowed me to do projects I never thought I would have the time for.
Be prepared for that to create even more projects.

Sized my first .45 Colt today.
I had to move my RCIV to a lower location after I put the Inline Fabrication left handed Ergo Handle on it on an Ultramount.
Excellent combination and I'm really happy with it.

View attachment 1893754
Was thinking maybe I should do a pic of the setup I like.

1000009278.jpg

Take heart. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I doubt I have a handgun that hasn't been fired in the last ten years. The rifles and shotguns however, some may not have been fired in the last 30 years. I'm not worried about it though. Someday I'll pass them along to my son and a couple of nephews. Like you said, if I sold them the money would just get swallowed up.

Hang in there. I know retirement has allowed me to do projects I never thought I would have the time for.
Be prepared for that to create even more projects.
That's why I try not to do anything drastic when I get in a bit of a funk. Someday when the kids are all grown I might have time for a project; selling a gun and spending the money is a lot easier than replacing it.

Sized my first .45 Colt today.
I had to move my RCIV to a lower location after I put the Inline Fabrication left handed Ergo Handle on it on an Ultramount.
Excellent combination and I'm really happy with it.

View attachment 1893754
I never even shot a .45 Colt until maybe ten years ago, and it's been one of my favorites ever since. It's a very versatile round, fun to shoot.

That's why I try not to do anything drastic when I get in a bit of a funk. Someday when the kids are all grown I might have time for a project; selling a gun and spending the money is a lot easier than replacing it.

I never even shot a .45 Colt until maybe ten years ago, and it's been one of my favorites ever since. It's a very versatile round, fun to shoot.
Always wanted 1.
Finally got 1 couple months ago.

CLT65 said:

In my case, the guns without problems tend to work their way to the back. One that sits in back is a beautiful Ruger 77 Mark II in .223 Rem. that I bought new in 1990. It's the very light weight model with a pencil bbl. It wants for nothing. It's as perfect as you can get with an off the shelf firearm. Yet I'll bet it's been minimum ten years since I fired it. Because the problem children get more attention. Both existing and newly acquired. And load experimentation.

Last Edited:
Took 9 minutes. Press is back on bench. Bench needs more cleaning but progress was made.

1286458-2ab66b27a9c38367756e1afda9becdf0.jpg
That's the kind of press I use. I had an RCBS Rock Chucker II that I used for maybe 20 years. When the Lee Classic Cast press came out, I decided to try one. It has a deeper reach than the Rock Chucker, makes it easier to seat .30-06 bullets. I kept the RC as a spare, used it almost never, and eventually sold it. The Lee CC marches on. In spite of the negative reputation that a lot of Lee stuff has.

In my case, the guns without problems tend to work their way to the back. One that sits in back is a beautiful Ruger 77 Mark II in .223 Rem. that I bought new in 1990. It's the very light weight model with a pencil bbl. It wants for nothing. It's as perfect as you can get with an off the shelf firearm. Yet I'll bet it's been minimum ten years since I fired it. Because the problem children get more attention. Both existing and newly acquired. And load experimentation.
Isn't that the truth. The squeeky wheel gets the grease and so on.
Solving problems or dialing in something will get it a lot more use.

I have a Remington 700 like that, also in .223 Rem. It was a $299 BiMart Christmas special that I bought in December '02, as I recall. The only thing I did to it was swap out the cheesy plastic stock for an older wooden one I already had. It shoots extremely well for an off-the-shelf rifle.

I used to tinker with my rifles to try to find the best loads, as least the ones capable of good accuracy. Somewhere along the line I realized that I didn't really enjoy the process. I don't like ladder testing, or hours at the bench trying to discern the very best load for each gun. To each their own, and I realize that a lot of guys really enjoy that process, but nowadays I typically only work up a load enough to find reasonable velocity and accuracy at a safe pressure in the gun/guns I'm using.

Once in a while I sit down at a bench with sandbags and a good rifle, but for the most part it's not really my preferred discipline. A friend of mine (a serious hunter) once asked me what practical use it was to be able to shoot tiny little groups out at distance. It struck me that for the average guy there's really no practical use at all beyond the challenge and enjoyment of the discipline. I realized that I didn't have the money for really accurate rifles, nor the time to get really good, and I wasn't really into it anyhow. I still enjoy shooting for precision now and then, but I'll never claim to be more than an amateur.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top