JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did the scope break because of the stout more magnum loads?
It was a 2021 Burris 2x scope, very little rounds shot with it on, but yes, the little scope couldn't handle the 44mag. Looks like people online have had mixed reviews on it with some scopes lasting forever and some breaking very quickly. Either way I'll warranty it and try again.

I used to use H4831 exclusively, because I had something like 30 pounds of surplus that I got for very cheap a very long time ago. I haven't loaded magnum rifle rounds for well over a decade, so I'm not very current on such things. He said that Bimart here doesn't currently have anything useful, and Sportsman's in Salem wants $65 to $75/lb. It's a discouraging time to take up reloading, especially anything that takes a lot of gunpowder.
You might check out Accurate MagPro, it is still somewhat affordable online. If I were going to load for a .300 Win Mag, I would also look for the slow burning Vihtavuori powders, N-165 and N-170 are currently cheaper than Hodgdon or IMR powders and would work well in .300 Win Mag.

Thank you, and Mike for the same suggestion. I see that Cabelas has some in stock, so I just let him know about it.

I remember the days when I could load the big magnum rounds for almost nothing. I hadn't been reloading long, back in the early '90s. I bought a bunch of old reloading stuff that was advertised in the paper, from an old-timer. Boxes of old Speer bullets, even older Winchester primers in wooden trays, lots of brass, and a very large can full of 4831 powder, that I later learned was WWII surplus 20mm cannon powder. I used it for 30-06 for many, many years, and it was my go-to for 7mm and .300 mag as well, though I never shot those in large quantities. It seemed like an inexhaustible supply at the time. I gave a lot away to friends, and eventually used it all up.

Thank you, and Mike for the same suggestion. I see that Cabelas has some in stock, so I just let him know about it.

I remember the days when I could load the big magnum rounds for almost nothing. I hadn't been reloading long, back in the early '90s. I bought a bunch of old reloading stuff that was advertised in the paper, from an old-timer. Boxes of old Speer bullets, even older Winchester primers in wooden trays, lots of brass, and a very large can full of 4831 powder, that I later learned was WWII surplus 20mm cannon powder. I used it for 30-06 for many, many years, and it was my go-to for 7mm and .300 mag as well, though I never shot those in large quantities. It seemed like an inexhaustible supply at the time. I gave a lot away to friends, and eventually used it all up.
Aahhh. The good old days.

Aahhh. The good old days.
Drying brass in the Goodwill rotisserie...

1000001027.jpg

On my Lee APP press I have found that the bolts [EDIT - bolts are UNDERNEATH the press base] holding the two vertical piston-rods (you have one circled in your photo), will come loose, and even fall out. The movement in the rods from the bolt being loose causes them to NOT align correctly and makes the press hard to cycle.

For the longest time I kept having problems after processing 500 or so cases and couldn't figure out what the cause was. Then I saw a small bolt on the floor and figured out where it came from. I reinstalled and tightened the other one and my problems went away. Now, whenever I use the APP press I tighten those two bolts before I start, and I check them periodically. Don't know if this information will help, but thought I'd pass it along. I really like my APP press and will do what I can to keep it functional.

Good luck.
I can remember seeing that in a YouTube video. Don't get me wrong.....thanks for the tip.

I have yet to get a good production run on my Lee APP. I've been busy ordering various APP parts....LOL.

Aloha, Mark

I am going to start doing a minimum of 5min of reloading activities everyday for the month of June. Each month there after I will add a minute. Today I unboxed my recent powder purchases and got them put away. I had to clear a toolbox drawer to do it so I went over my 5mins :)

Tomorrow I will work on getting bench cleared so I can set up my press. Still deciding on what to load first. I am leaning towards some 40 S&W with magnum pistol powder.
5 minutes a day will get you into a routine. I'm sure it will be hard to stop at 5 minutes.
I find it amazing what you can get done with just a little time everyday.
Get that press set up and get going!

He needs some magnum rifle powder, and suggestions on what to buy. I'm not much help because the powders I used to always use are either unobtainable or crazy expensive.
A full selection of powder isn't available. You didn't say what bullet weight was going to be used in the .300 Win Mag. But of the powders that are usually found on shelves today, Accurate 2700 or Magpro might fill the bill. A fair/customary price for those these days is in the $40's. Also, the Winchester line of Sta-Ball powders has a couple of slow numbers that might work. The latter are fairly new and haven't gained a lot of acceptance yet so I suppose that's whey they can be found on shelves. The Sta-Ball powders are around $50. Which is about 2/3 the price of the popular stick powders.

I have yet to figure out why Accurate powders, both ball and stick, are lower priced than competitors and have better availability.

A full selection of powder isn't available. You didn't say what bullet weight was going to be used in the .300 Win Mag. But of the powders that are usually found on shelves today, Accurate 2700 or Magpro might fill the bill. A fair/customary price for those these days is in the $40's. Also, the Winchester line of Sta-Ball powders has a couple of slow numbers that might work. The latter are fairly new and haven't gained a lot of acceptance yet so I suppose that's whey they can be found on shelves. The Sta-Ball powders are around $50. Which is about 2/3 the price of the popular stick powders.

I have yet to figure out why Accurate powders, both ball and stick, are lower priced than competitors and have better availability.
I have used Accurate and Western powders for a long time. Affordability certainly will not make me stop. Just make it easier to continue.

I've been splitting my time between the yard work and loading. Today I got the last of my logs cut up and the last of the 45 caliber sizing done. Tomorrow I'll see how I do with the splitting maul in the morning and running 9mm on the Mark 7 in the afternoon. .

H4831SC is my go-to for .25-06, .30-06 and .300 Wby Mag. I actually saw a pound of it at Bi-Mart about a week ago. I was going to buy it out of habit until I saw the price was well north of $50. I did some calculating in my head and decided I had enough to get me by for the foreseeable future and told the gal to put it back on the shelf. I'm still second-guessing my decision, but I hunt primarily with a bow and don't do that much target shooting. Hopefully I have enough to last me, because factory ammo is also darn expensive - especially for that Weatherby.

Sized my first .45 Colt today.
I had to move my RCIV to a lower location after I put the Inline Fabrication left handed Ergo Handle on it on an Ultramount.
Excellent combination and I'm really happy with it.

1000009271.jpg

I had my Winchester Model 70 FW in 7mm Mauser out last week to zero the scope. So I've been prepping the brass, and today I got them reloaded. Now that the rifle is zeroed and the ammo is renewed, I probably won't touch it again for who knows how long. That's how it goes around here. I need to get into that back row in the safe and tune some of those up.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top