JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with the folks who have suggested this is the wrong projectile for your purpose. I am a big fan of Sierra 80s and Berger 80.5s for single load at 600 yards with my 20" service rifle.

I have worked up a great load with Nosler 64 grain bonded bullets for my 16 and 18 inch rifles. Best price on non-blems is here...

They are not subsonic as I have them loaded, but I have full confidence in them for minor barrier penetration with good terminal performance.

1000010882.jpg

At some point you should be able to get sub sonic or close to it.
You can play around with .223 a lot; I've loaded some strange stuff. BUT: It was for bolt or single shot actions. The low velocity stuff won't function the action in an AR, and that is counter to the concept of an AR as a defensive arm. Unless of course single shot is good enough.

223 50gr Brown Tip Frangible BLEMS - 1000ct - American Reloading

Blemished Projectiles - May contain: Mixed Lots, Discolored Finish and/or Minor Deformities *Any specific blemishes will be noted and pictured cropped-ms-icon-310x310-1-32x32.png americanreloading.com
I bought some of those. I think mine came from RMR. I've only fired mine at "normal" velocities. I have no clue as to how lethal they might be against a target. My main interest in them was that they are lead free. I've been getting ready for the centerfire lead bullet ban. Since then, I've discovered the Barnes copper jacket/zinc core bullets.

Back to the original question. I still don't see why an 80 gr. bullet would be needed for this application. I'm thinking the powder type/charge and bullet design is more important than focusing on a bullet weight.

If I ever get a chrono, I will add this type of load challenge to my list.
Good advice. I think a chrono is an essential tool when going down these roads. Just as important with low velocity as on the high end.

I bought some of those. I think mine came from RMR. I've only fired mine at "normal" velocities. I have no clue as to how lethal they might be against a target. My main interest in them was that they are lead free. I've been getting ready for the centerfire lead bullet ban. Since then, I've discovered the Barnes copper jacket/zinc core bullets.

Back to the original question. I still don't see why an 80 gr. bullet would be needed for this application. I'm thinking the powder type/charge and bullet design is more important than focusing on a bullet weight.

Good advice. I think a chrono is an essential tool when going down these roads. Just as important with low velocity as on the high end.
I bought some of these frangibles to use at our silohette range. The only 223 you can shoot there are frangibles. I am somewhat concerned they won't pass muster with the ROs because they resemble a jacketed bullet. We'll see.

As for a chrono, I have a meet up today that will hopefully net me a chrono. I have been hesitant to buy one of the cheap ones that you have to set up out front of your shooting bench. It adds another layer of wait time for other shooters at the range and storage space which I have very little of. I found a V3 that has worked well for Johnny so hopefully it works for me.

I bought some of these frangibles to use at our silohette range. The only 223 you can shoot there are frangibles. I am somewhat concerned they won't pass muster with the ROs because they resemble a jacketed bullet. We'll see.
Maybe keep a loose bullet with the nose clipped off in your pocket. If questioned, you could show it to the RSO. Or maybe they think that having a jacket present doesn't make it frangible enough?

I like these jacketed ex-GI frangibles a lot better than the non-jacketed versions that are commercially offered. The non-jacketed fired okay and were accurate enough at something less than long range, but they aren't as easy to reload.

As for a chrono, I have a meet up today that will hopefully net me a chrono. I have been hesitant to buy one of the cheap ones that you have to set up out front of your shooting bench. It adds another layer of wait time for other shooters at the range and storage space which I have very little of. I found a V3 that has worked well for Johnny so hopefully it works for me.
Yeah, that's an issue. Set-up at the range can be very fiddly if you're doing it out ahead of your bench. And you don't usually have the time between cease fires to play around with it to the extent that is sometimes needed. I have a crappy old Chrony, they went out of biz a couple of years ago. It stores in a pretty compact package, but that also means there is that much more fiddly stuff to do in setting it up. Typically, I no longer take the Chrony to the range where I'm a member. I save chrono work for when I go out onto public lands to shoot. And can futz around to my heart's content.

Not long ago, I mentioned to the current president of our range why not get a chrono for member use that is handier than the process I described in the paragraph above. He said, "I think we have one in the trailer that nobody ever uses; I don't know if it still works." I may look into that.

Maybe keep a loose bullet with the nose clipped off in your pocket. If questioned, you could show it to the RSO. Or maybe they think that having a jacket present doesn't make it frangible enough?

I like these jacketed ex-GI frangibles a lot better than the non-jacketed versions that are commercially offered. The non-jacketed fired okay and were accurate enough at something less than long range, but they aren't as easy to reload.

Yeah, that's an issue. Set-up at the range can be very fiddly if you're doing it out ahead of your bench. And you don't usually have the time between cease fires to play around with it to the extent that is sometimes needed. I have a crappy old Chrony, they went out of biz a couple of years ago. It stores in a pretty compact package, but that also means there is that much more fiddly stuff to do in setting it up. Typically, I no longer take the Chrony to the range where I'm a member. I save chrono work for when I go out onto public lands to shoot. And can futz around to my heart's content.

Not long ago, I mentioned to the current president of our range why not get a chrono for member use that is handier than the process I described in the paragraph above. He said, "I think we have one in the trailer that nobody ever uses; I don't know if it still works." I may look into that.
It would be great if our range would offer some Garmin Chronos to check out on loan.

I loaded up 5 with 6 grains of TB and 5 with 6.5 grains of TB. I seated them to about 2.35 OAL. They could probably be seated a little deeper but....
I might have went a little heavy on crimp but since this is a smooth bullet I wanted to make sure the bullet didn't go anywhere until it's fired.

If I can find the frangible bullets I will try some of those as well.

I should be able to try these this coming week but in a carbine not a pistol length barrel.

View attachment 1904130
This load was a dismal failure. I believe they were subsonic and that was backed up by a couple of shooters next to my bench that I ask to listen to the report. The problem was they were super unstable. The few that actually hit the target went through sideways.

Look at the bottom center of this target near the brand logo for the evidence. This was 50yd shooting.

1000003301.jpg

If these could pentetrate a target and continue tumbling inside the target. They might work but the target better be really close if you want to be able to hit it. I may try this load again in a 1/7 twist barrel and at very close range. That test will have to wait for a cabin trip. If they stabilize enough to hit a 2l bottle at 15ft, I will test that as well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top