JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bear menu.jpg

some time back I read a data driven comparison of the effectiveness of firearms vs bear spay on wilderness bear attacks. I should have kept the reference, it was well done, but I digress. To my surprise, the bear spray beat ( by a small percentage) out firearms as the best way to save yourself from a wilderness attack. The spray was easier to get to and deploy and definitely stopped the attack. The above referenced article's paywall prevented me from reading, but if she really wanted to keep the bear from hanging out, some bear spray in its nose would have let it know it was not a welcome visitor. I can't image that more that one or two applications would have been necessary to prevent her death, and the bear would have been left alive (I assume the bear has been destroyed) But, yeah, "I don't want to harm the bear" was not the best approach for her survival. And yeah, I too thought of Timothy Treadwell setting himself up for dinner, nice description of his final days by RVTECH !

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top