JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today I loaded up 20rnds of 38spl with special BP sub and topped them off with 125gr Bear Creek dry lubed bullets. I think the dry lube is some sort of moly product. I may add some additional lube to the revolvers cylinder bores if fouling looks like it will be a big problem. Elvis ammo shot 6 or 7 rounds of some real BP in his Ruger and the fouling was awful.

Skip to 13min mark to see fouling.

View: https://youtu.be/cGsXXrM649s?feature=sharedhttps://youtu.be/cGsXXrM649s?feature=shared

Did a trigger job on Savage Axis instead of reloading. I did spend a few minutes inspecting the latest batch of 224 bullets I got from American Reloading. They are 75gr HPBT bullets with cannelure. I have to say I am disappointed in this batch of bullets. The description said minimal pull marks but these bullets look deformed from the position they were latched onto. These will likely end up as heavy plinking bullets. In the past I ordered a bunch of 77gr SMKs from them and they were beautiful. I am happy with most everything I get from them but you can't win them all.

Same bullets from different angles.

View attachment 1906963

View attachment 1906964
It's a crap shoot.

Lehighs are done, now working on the 158 RNFP's. Those will keep me busy thru the weekend. Then I might get some me time to finish making 25-06 and 223 for , you guessed it, me. 41 Mag brass due to ship soonish from Starline.

I started early today. I flared and primed fifty 40 S&W cases I got from @JohnH
and took a break for some exercise. I made another cup of instant coffee and now it's time to charge up the cases. I am going to do the 6 grain load of #164 Mystery powder again. That load was pleasant to shoot and cycled the gun.

I was looking at the Lyman 47th Handbook and they listed 5.8 grains of Unique powder as max load for 180gr fmj. This #164 powder seems to be pretty close to Unique but a wee bit slower.

Back to work.

50 rounds are ready. Testing starts at 8am.

1000003318.jpg

Earlier this week I loaded up 200 .38-40 rounds for both pistol and carbine. 100 rounds for the carbine- 180 gr. coated bullet, 8.0 gr. of Unique, nickel plated Starline brass, 1.582 OACL. For the pistol, 6.2 gr. of Unique, 180 gr. lead cast bullet, 1.580 OACL. All crimped with Lee FCD. After spending money to alter dies for a roll crimp, I gave up on roll crimp and went with the FCD with superior results. Accuracy? Pistol hits clay pidgins at 35 yards and '92 carbine hits same at 75 plus yards, all consistantly.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top