JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello my fellow reloaders,

I've tried doing some searching and haven't had much luck finding any load data for 223/5.56 80gr bullets for barrels under 20" (10" to 18") with twists 1:7 to 1:9 for both standard and sub loads.
If anyone has any info or knows where to find it, I would appreciate it greatly, thanks.

Hello my fellow reloaders,

I've tried doing some searching and haven't had much luck finding any load data for 223/5.56 80gr bullets for barrels under 20" (10" to 18") with twists 1:7 to 1:9 for both standard and sub loads.
If anyone has any info or knows where to find it, I would appreciate it greatly, thanks.
77gr data should work?

Last Edited:
1000003258.jpg

1000003259.jpg

I found all of that data but it's all for 20-24" barrels with a 1:12 or lower twist.
Looking for under 20" barrel with 1:7 to 1:9 twist rate.
You may have to improvise. I can't imagine how many pages the load books would be if they had to develope different data for each barrel length and twist rate available in all calibers. My understanding is the load data is just a guideline and you have to tweak it to fit your individual firearm and component selection.

Yeah I found similar info to that, not sure why they chose 20" and 24" for an AR-15 given most are 16-18".
Because almost all people loading 80's are shooting mid range (600 yards) or longer and use that extra barrel length for velocity. They are also loading them longer than mag length. Look at the OAL of the load data posted, most of it is much longer than mag length of an AR.

Because almost all people loading 80's are shooting mid range (600 yards) or longer and use that extra barrel length for velocity. They are also loading them longer than mag length. Look at the OAL of the load data posted, most of it is much longer than mag length of an AR.
Yeah, my problem is I'm wanting to load for low velocity as close to sub as I can get.

I was going to recommend service rifle loads but as mentioned it'll be for 20" and single feed more than likely.

Curious to ask what you're going for and would 300BLK be a better option for going sub?

Yeah, my problem is I'm wanting to load for low velocity as close to sub as I can get.
I just looked on the Hodgon site sub sonic data and they have loads for the 77gr bullet yes in a 24" barrel so maybe not the end all be all for you but it might be a starting point for load development. If a load is sub sonic in a 24" barrel it should be even slower in a 20" or less.

I was going to recommend service rifle loads but as mentioned it'll be for 20" and single feed more than likely.

Curious to ask what you're going for and would 300BLK be a better option for going sub?
I'm trying to create some sub rounds or as close to sub as I can get for home defense rounds. Closes load data I've been able to find is the 223 SR and 22 ARC(gas gun) both use the 80gr bullets and have similar charge weights for similar velocities.

I'm trying to create some sub rounds or as close to sub as I can get for home defense rounds. Closes load data I've been able to find is the 223 SR and 22 ARC(gas gun) both use the 80gr bullets and have similar charge weights for similar velocities.
I didn't think 80gr pills would fit into a magazine?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top