JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What your favorite knife for deer hunting, when it's grab a gun and a knife and head out, I used a buck 110 for many years because it's what I had, now I own a lot of knives but I'm aways looking for the prefect deer knife, this is one of my favorites made for me by Gary little, 22 yrs ago cable Damascus and maple burl

20240620_144031.jpg

Last Edited:
I got lots of knives but haven't taken a deer yet so I can't really say I like one over another for that.

My hunting partners left the state so idk if or when I'll start hunting big game again.

With the price of groceries these days it sure would be nice to have a supplement but the cost of tags, gas and supplies to hunt on public lands by myself would be better spent on half a cow. At least I would know I'd come home with something for the money.

Old Timer sharp finger, been using one for decades.
☝️This. IMO, there's really no equal dressing game, start to finish.

That doesn't mean I don't carry a field knife while hunting, but I don't use it on game... well... except maybe on a chest plate or pelvis bone, but the OP said "deer knife".

Best way to spot a dude in camp is the size of his knife.

"Compensation" for other inadequacies is expressed in blade length which is useless and dangerous when dressing a deer.

1718978229339.jpeg

Clockwise from the top:

Keyring "promo" tool knife blade. Been on my ring for over 40 years, and thank God it was for more than one deer. No, the P38 has not seen similar work.

Schrade drop point "NRA ILA" embossed. Blade 2.75". Any and all needed, even to bust an elk's pelvis. My primary hunting knife for over 40 years, mostly because of the steel: the Schrade "finger tip" guys enjoy the same steel: easily sharpenable and lasts through a lot of work.

Case XX sheath knife. 4.25" blade. I discovered this in my Christmas stocking at age 12. The sheath has carved records of each head of game killed for my first few years. This knife was retired after it dislodged from the sheath twice (and I was lucky enough to recover it).

My style of hunting now does not lend itself to blades on one's hip. The Schrade rides in the fanny pack, along with a Kershaw Blade Trader (Saw, Filet, Hunting blades interchangeable) for backup and onsite processing and boning.

...and a word of caution to Deer Hunters, especially those hunting with irreplaceable knives: This pile in my display case is well over half sheath knives FOUND by myself and my Dad over the years. Some were in their sheaths, some were not. On a kill, stage ALL gear in ONE PILE religiously, and monitor the retaining features of your knife sheath. You'll see a lanyard on the Schrade, in case it's ever hanging on a belt. :cool:

1718978843786.jpeg

Last Edited:
I bought my wife a Benchmade because it was pretty, but after using it I bought one for myself. The top one is mine. Besides gutting and skinning, I use them a fair amount when butchering, too. The knife that gets the most usage when butchering, though, is our Kershaw paring knife! I love that little guy.

Benchmades.jpg Benchmades sheathed.jpg Kershaw.jpg

Bottom; Dad gave me when I was 10. A good knife. Cut my finger skinning a rabbit I'd snared the next day. Much bigger than my pocket knife.
Middle; Was my Uncles, given to me when he died in 68 it was a good knife too!
Top; I made in the early 80's with a hurried up handle in time for hunting season which I was successful. It worked so well I've used it since and never made a better handle for it.
IMGP0132.JPG

This is a Robinson Deer knife, Mike Robinson has his own deer herd and is a chief and restaurant owner that serves venison in his restaurants and kills 200 + deer a year.
He designed this knife as the prefect Deer knife, I got the first one shipped to the US.
Zg0At1P.jpg

This is a Robinson Deer knife, Mike Robinson has his own deer herd and is a chief and restaurant owner that serves venison in his restaurants and kills 200 + deer a year.
He designed this knife as the prefect Deer knife, I got the first one shipped to the US.
View attachment 1903361
That looks like the perfect combination between a butchering knife and a hunting knife. I don't even want to know what it cost lol

Nice piece of cable Damascus. Custom blades always add some appreciation and enjoyment any cutting task.

View attachment 1903105
Not much wear showing.

View attachment 1903361
Doesn't appear used much.

:s0092:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top