JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've thought a lot about a motorcycle as a cheaper alternative to a car. But I can't get over the impression it's just a matter of when I'll have to lay it down and die.
OP hasn't been on the forum since almost a year ago, but I will weigh in here.

Been riding, off & on, for about 40 years - haven't been though since about 12 years ago when I started having heart problems (but didn't know it then - I just knew I had serious stamina issues).

Not counting riding off-road, I've been "down" about half a dozen times - several of those were at speed. Worst was crashing - due to a tank slapper induced by a slick road - at 80 MPH. I never rode to save $, it was always for fun.

I sold my Ducati about 13 years ago because I was having too much fun going 100+ MPH in traffic, and riding the back roads I felt that someday I would either kill myself, or I would hit somebody pulling out of a driveway, or hit a deer, or something. Also, I had bought my Husaberg and riding off-road was a lot more fun and less dangerous (if I didn't have a heart attack) so I wasn't riding my Ducati anymore.

Riding off-road, I don't think there was a single ride were I did not lay the bike down - but it was always at slow speed in the woods, on a trail - so at most, I might have a bruise. Hit my head on a tree a few times, but I had good gear.

Anyway, after crashing a dual sport back in '96 and dropping it on my foot (I was showing off popping a wheelie) and crushing my foot (broke many of the bones), I started wearing proper gear, which was a good thing as it saved my skin a few more times - especially when I had the tank slapper.

Always assume you are going to crash, for one reason or another. For me, it was usually my own stupidity. But I did have a pickup bump me out of my lane once, but I wasn't hurt, just pissed off.

Riding a bicycle was worse than a motorcycle and I used to ride bicycles a lot. There are enough car drivers who hate bicyclists that it just got too dangerous and I gave my bicycle to my brother. I've had people throw bottles at me, literally get into fights, dogs chase me and so on. With a motorcycle, at least I had the ability to try to outrun them, and there was little to no speed difference.

So... :s0092:

I'm not interested in anyone's ire, but if you're trying to impede someone just because you're a jealous bubblegum, well, you've earned whatever gesture comes your way.

It takes the exact same amount of effort to move to the left to block someone as it does to move to the right to give them space.
True- In my youth I spent too much energy trying to pick up every offence that some one's poor driving skills laid before me.

Now, I just go about my business and keep those positive waves.

I ride about 5,000 miles a year, mainly for fun. I stay off hiways as much as possible...less cages less worry for me.

Rapid City, South Dakota, 1975: (and a large part of why I ride to survive)

Being the least drunk G.I. at a party that ran out of beer, I was appointed runner.

....to Gilette, Wyoming. Where Coors could be bought. Before Coors was Pasteurized (cooked), and was only available where it could arrive kept cold from the brewery to point of sale. It actually tasted like beer. Fresh beer.

Worth the trip, if you haven't caught my drift.

Vehicle available: a Honda CL350. A High-Pipe "college level" bike that could do the highway pretty good for its size. Bulletproof reliable.

Station wagon lady made a left turn against a red, and thank God I'd touched the brakes on approach and had the green.

Laid the Honda down, got behind it as we skidded on the blacktop, and the bike went partially under the car, my hands went forward and dented her door a bit.

I got up, cursing, driver lady was horrified, asked if I was okay (this is about midnight), I knew at a glance she had no insurance, I retrieved the bike from under her car, made the trip to Gilette and back with 4 cases of Coors bungeed to the Pussy Perch. :cool:

Last Edited:

Been riding, off & on, for about 40 years - haven't been though since about 12 years ago when I started having heart problems (but didn't know it then - I just knew I had serious stamina issues).

Not counting riding off-road, I've been "down" about half a dozen times - several of those were at speed. Worst was crashing - due to a tank slapper induced by a slick road - at 80 MPH. I never rode to save $, it was always for fun.

I sold my Ducati about 13 years ago because I was having too much fun going 100+ MPH in traffic, and riding the back roads I felt that someday I would either kill myself, or I would hit somebody pulling out of a driveway, or hit a deer, or something. Also, I had bought my Husaberg and riding off-road was a lot more fun and less dangerous (if I didn't have a heart attack) so I wasn't riding my Ducati anymore.

Riding off-road, I don't think there was a single ride were I did not lay the bike down - but it was always at slow speed in the woods, on a trail - so at most, I might have a bruise. Hit my head on a tree a few times, but I had good gear.

Anyway, after crashing a dual sport back in '96 and dropping it on my foot (I was showing off popping a wheelie) and crushing my foot (broke many of the bones), I started wearing proper gear, which was a good thing as it saved my skin a few more times - especially when I had the tank slapper.

Always assume you are going to crash, for one reason or another. For me, it was usually my own stupidity. But I did have a pickup bump me out of my lane once, but I wasn't hurt, just pissed off.

Riding a bicycle was worse than a motorcycle and I used to ride bicycles a lot. There are enough car drivers who hate bicyclists that it just got too dangerous and I gave my bicycle to my brother. I've had people throw bottles at me, literally get into fights, dogs chase me and so on. With a motorcycle, at least I had the ability to try to outrun them, and there was little to no speed difference.

This is why my street bike has been parked in the garage for about a decade. The worst wreck I've ever had on a quad was when I rolled it doing a donut, and it was entirely my fault. Hardly got a scratch. Actually, I broke a tie rod once, maybe that was worse, but I didn't fall off that time. On tight trails you may average 15 or 20, and never get over 35.

Sold both bikes a few months ago, for many reasons, including everything said here..#2 was the drivers out there, texting etc. You absolutely do have to ride like you're invisible.

But what it really came down to was that I have an inherited and well dug-in love of speed. Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW's..love em all and know how to drive fast.

But with the Ninja, it was just too addictive. I wont regal everyone with the stupid things I've done on it..but it was enough that I had one of those, "you're gonna die and leave your wife and pup behind".

That's what did it. Don't regret it either.

Sold both bikes a few months ago, for many reasons, including everything said here..#2 was the drivers out there, texting etc. You absolutely do have to ride like you're invisible.

But what it really came down to was that I have an inherited and well dug-in love of speed. Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW's..love em all and know how to drive fast.

But with the Ninja, it was just too addictive. I wont regal everyone with the stupid things I've done on it..but it was enough that I had one of those, "you're gonna die and leave your wife and pup behind".

I had a CB900F for about 3 weeks once. For the time, it was crazy fast. Did some really stupid shet on that bike, got rid of it before it got rid of me.

Anyone exercise self control?........... :D
Believe me..I tried tried tried. "You will drive the speed limit. You will not race ahead of that texting cage. You will not have fun in that next twisty..."

Wasn't possible. I wish I could just been one of those slow riders that cruise along..wasn't in me. I know myself.

Here, here. There's an '03 Ninja ZX-6R sitting in the garage, actually rode when I first moved to the PNW, but quickly realized drivers around here just aren't accustomed to motorcycles. Meaning each outing felt like an episode of "drive for your life". Too many distracted cagers, and just generally piss poor drivers out there.

It's been a good dozen years since I rode, miss it, but value my well being too much. It was an adventure to have had…

Here, here. There's an '03 Ninja ZX-6R sitting in the garage, actually rode when I first moved to the PNW, but quickly realized drivers around here just aren't accustomed to motorcycles. Meaning each outing felt like an episode of "drive for your life". Too many distracted cagers, and just generally piss poor drivers out there.

It's been a good dozen years since I rode, miss it, but value my well being too much. It was an adventure to have had…
Now see I couldn't have a ZX-6R sitting in my garage. Would be like an alcoholic working as a bartender.

My youngest daughter (16 y/o) keeps eyeballing it, keeps making overtures it could be her first bike. :s0140:
My stepson did the same with my Ninja 650..but I wouldn't let him have it. He just bought his first bike..a used Ninja 250. Still not crazy about him riding and he knows it..but..whatcha gonna do. Glad it's a 250.

My stepson did the same with my Ninja 650..but I wouldn't let him have it. He just bought his first bike..a used Ninja 250. Still not crazy about him riding and he knows it..but..whatcha gonna do. Glad it's a 250.
250 is plenty enough to learn on. Once the skills are refined, can move up in performance and handling.

None of us started driving with an F1 race car…

When I lived in San Diego every month there'd be a story about some young soldier from one of the nearby bases wrapping a brand-new superbike around a tree. Navy guy one month, Marine the next. Crippled or dead.

Track days took the stupid out of me for the most part. Back in AZ, I had an '06 ZX-10R and '07 ZX-14R. We (boss and I) used to frequent Phoenix to sell some holsters and stuff and do a few laps around AMP.

When you go truly fast on the track, going kinda fast on the street is less appealing.

These days I ride a '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200. 500lbs and ~100HP makes it feel docile compared to my past bikes.

You can always do track days at your own pace. They used to let bikes on track during lunch break for $20 at Portland International Racetrack. I don't know if they still do it. 10 yrs ago for me.

Didn't see previous post before. 😕

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top