JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wanna see crazy, check out AZ's new m/c law

TRAFFIC
What to know about Arizona's new motorcycle law
The new law lets motorcyclists ride between lanes, but only at stoplights.

Published: 3:47 PM PDT March 28, 2022
Updated: 6:29 AM PDT March 29, 2022
Facebook
PHOENIX — You might notice a lot of "lane filtering" on Arizona roads soon.
That's because a new law will soon let Arizona motorcyclists go between the lanes of traffic to get to the front of the line at traffic lights.
Advocates say it's actually safer than making motorcycles wait in between cars at stoplights.

Here's what you need to know about the law and what motorcycles can and can't do.

1. Only at stoplights
The law allows "lane filtering," which lets motorcycles go between cars to get to the front of the line of traffic.
But that only applies at stoplights, and only when traffic is at a complete stop.
"Traffic has to be at a complete stop," traffic attorney Eric Hill said. "So they're passing stopped vehicles. They're not passing vehicles that are moving"
"Lane splitting," which is when motorcycles go between cars while traffic is moving on roads and freeways, is still illegal in Arizona.

RELATED: 'I have buried way too many friends': New Arizona law aims to save motorcyclists
2. Only at slow speeds

The law specifically says motorcycles can only lane filter on roads where the speed limit is 45 miles per hour or less.
It also limits the motorcycles themselves to 15 miles per hour as they move between the lanes.
Going faster than that would be a traffic citation, Hill said.
3. It's safer (supposedly)

Motorcycle experts say lane filtering is actually safer for riders since it doesn't force them to be stopped behind one car and in front of another, which could be dangerous if they're rear-ended.
"It takes motorcycles out of the spaces between cars," said Mark Weiss, a riding instructor at Desert Wind Harley-Davidson in Mesa. "When drivers are used to it, it works really, really, really well."

What this is guaranteed to do is set off more kooks with road rage to go after the bikes.

Regarding Arizona's new motorcycle law allowing lane splitting at red lights, that's just plain stupid. As is lane splitting in general.

It's bad enough motorcycle rides don the helmet of invisibility, but to add lane splitting to that equation makes zero sense to me. And yes, I'm an experienced street bike rider, I know cagers don't pay attention until it's too late.

I ride regularly.
Lane splitters and the concept, to me, are the epitome of stupid.
The other one that drives me nuts is other riders who think it's cool to come up and attempt to ride in formation with me. I don't know you, I don't know how you ride, get the F out of my space.

I miss it. Sold both bikes shortly after my daughter was born. The enjoyment I got from riding wasn't worth the risk of my daughter growing up without a father. I'm a very defensive driver (never been in an accident) and always rode like I was invisible, but there were still close calls.

I even commuted to work year-round in the rain and snow maybe about 15 years ago. My car suddeniy had engine trouble so the bike was all I had to get to work. One day i got caught in an ice storm and had to use my legs like a tripod during bumper to bumper traffic on I-5. Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done. LOL.

I ride regularly.
Lane splitters and the concept, to me, are the epitome of stupid.
The other one that drives me nuts is other riders who think it's cool to come up and attempt to ride in formation with me. I don't know you, I don't know how you ride, get the F out of my space.
Ambivalent on the lane splitting, total agreement on GTFOOMS. I noticed that when I rode a bike that looked like a total POS, they left me alone, but that's not really a solution.

I shake my head every single time I see some idiot riding a motorcycle in gym shorts, tshirt and tennis shoes (sometimes flip flops!!)

Usually a crotch rocket, and the rider is of the age fully confident he is immortal, and certainly has never laid a bike down.

I wish upon them a near-fatal crash in order that their life be saved.

I shake my head every single time I see some idiot riding a motorcycle in gym shorts, tshirt and tennis shoes (sometimes flip flops!!)

Usually a crotch rocket, and the rider is of the age fully confident he is immortal, and certainly has never laid a bike down.

I wish upon them a near-fatal crash in order that their life be saved.
I think the same thing. The only time I went down was when I was 19, and of course immortal. :D When I felt my head hit the pavement, no helmet the first thing that flashed through my mind was I will wake up in hospital with my Dad looking down at me saying " I TOLD YOU....................":s0140:
Then bike did not survive but I amazingly limped away and was even back at work next day. The only reason I had a jean jacket on was it was early morning and slightly chill for no shirt riding. Youth is wasted on the young :D

In the summertime, I ride street to get to the trails, what keeps my speed down is the deer jumping out of the brush, they don't look both ways before they cross.

Street bikes don't have to be boring though.

2015 scrambles.jpg

I started riding at about 12 YO. "Tote Goat" on the elementary school parking/paved playground when me and a buddy would be allowed to push the tote goat down and back. Then a Honda 55, and later a Honda 90. Dad/mom and I would take them in the van and trailered and road the bikes all over Utah. Used the 90 all over the mountain trial and open deserts, and to work and back when I turned 16. At 19 got a job wrenching at Pacer Honda in Murray UT. Got an XL250 right quick. Rode that thing all over. Never rode the bike after I moved here in June 1983 because I didn't want to dink around with having to put turn signals back on it. They had been long thrown away. There was no way to leave a hand signal flashing, never made sense to put those stupid things on bikes to me.
Now? bubblegum! Scares crap outta' me thinking about riding around town with how drivers are these days. And to to ride off road, too far away and too many hoops to jump through. Though I do feel envy when we're in The Tillamook mushroom hunting and see/hear guys on all those trails up there. But I'm too old to do that now. My body wouldn't take a spill, and I'm sure I've lost the ability to lay a bike down and ride it to a stop.
Been thinking back pretty heavy on all this since we got word, a few days ago, that my younger brother, in Utah, and his wife were on his Harley on a ride in Wyoming and he got into some gravel, laid it down, and sister-in-law broke her neck and passed away. Brother had road rash and will be fine.
Stay sharp guys!

I used to do it daily in CA. Most people actually move over to give you more room. Never once that I can recall did anyone display even a passive-agressive bit of road rage towards me.
I "used to do" a LOT of things I no longer do. Anyone who pays any attention to the news of late should know things have sadly gone VERY far the wrong direction of late. For those who wan to take their life in their hands? By all means start doing this. They should make sure they have their affairs in order first. :s0092:

I "used to do" a LOT of things I no longer do. Anyone who pays any attention to the news of late should know things have sadly gone VERY far the wrong direction of late. For those who wan to take their life in their hands? By all means start doing this. They should make sure they have their affairs in order first. :s0092:
I must have missed all the news stories of motorcyclists getting offed by cagers for lane filtering. Maybe you can send some links?

Have you lane filtered? What was your experience?

I used to do it daily in CA. Most people actually move over to give you more room. Never once that I can recall did anyone display even a passive-agressive bit of road rage towards me.
That was then, this is now. You're probably around the same age as me. People did crazy stuff on the roads back in the 80's and 90's..especially bikes. Most of the 20 something kids in the mid 80's rode around on crotch rockets with t-shirts, shorts, no helmet..and in big groups..doing wheelies...outrunning cops, lane splitting etc.

I was in CA at the time and you barely ever heard of road-rage. Hell if I drove now like I did in my teens with the Firebird, I'd have a road rage incident daily.

People out there are stressed, aggressive, pissed off, self-centered, rude, in a hurry to go nowhere. They have Teslas that do 0-60 in 3 seconds but can't operate a cable remote. Re-Dic bro's are driving bro-dozers with the loudest pipes out there..using their pent up agression to be as annoying as possible. Kids are driving around with the loudest fart-can optioned POS you can find..routinely doing 20 over in residential areas.

And bikes...

I stopped riding, sold both the Ninja and BMW K-75. It wasn't worth it anymore. My step-son bought his first bike, a Ninja 250, to commute to work. Against all my advice BTW, but he's gonna do what he's gonna do. He's already had two road rage incidents..and now wants to 'get strapped' as he says. Again, more of my advice, don't engage, pull over and call 911 if it gets real bad..but definitely do not bring a gun into the situation. I hope he listens to me this time.

Anyhow..ranting..I'm very glad I'm not a young man these days.

I've been riding since early 80s. I was 110% into it until more recent years where comfort and convenience was more important.

In California, motorcycle made sense with lane splitting and gas prices. But here, there isn't much benefit outside of parking, maybe. In Oregon, the motorcycles were great for meeting people and finding new places.

They still are a great escape and fill your brain with sounds, smells and views you don't get in a cage. They aren't for everyone. Some people just don't have the total awareness it needs to survive in traffic. But they can always ride off road or even do track days on road courses to build up their skills.

That was then, this is now. You're probably around the same age as me. People did crazy stuff on the roads back in the 80's and 90's..especially bikes. Most of the 20 something kids in the mid 80's rode around on crotch rockets with t-shirts, shorts, no helmet..and in big groups..doing wheelies...outrunning cops, lane splitting etc.

I was in CA at the time and you barely ever heard of road-rage. Hell if I drove now like I did in my teens with the Firebird, I'd have a road rage incident daily.

People out there are stressed, aggressive, pissed off, self-centered, rude, in a hurry to go nowhere. They have Teslas that do 0-60 in 3 seconds but can't operate a cable remote. Re-Dic bro's are driving bro-dozers with the loudest pipes out there..using their pent up agression to be as annoying as possible. Kids are driving around with the loudest fart-can optioned POS you can find..routinely doing 20 over in residential areas.

And bikes...

I stopped riding, sold both the Ninja and BMW K-75. It wasn't worth it anymore. My step-son bought his first bike, a Ninja 250, to commute to work. Against all my advice BTW, but he's gonna do what he's gonna do. He's already had two road rage incidents..and now wants to 'get strapped' as he says. Again, more of my advice, don't engage, pull over and call 911 if it gets real bad..but definitely do not bring a gun into the situation. I hope he listens to me this time.

Anyhow..ranting..I'm very glad I'm not a young man these days.

It was mid 90's through early 00's when I was riding out there. Road rage was definitely a thing in the Bay Area even back then. Hell, I had someone chuck his whole McDonalds oder at me once for some unknown reason. I don't think the dude even took a sip of his Super-sized coke.

I'm not here to sell anyone on lane filtering, I don't care if you do it or not. I'm just pro-choice. Nobody should force you to do it and nobody should tell me I can't.

Montana just legalized filtering in certain situations. The more normal it becomes, the less risky it becomes as well.

At most every traffic light you can watch motorcycles driving between cars to get to the front of the traffic
I don't see it here and I am sure I know why. No doubt places where laws are still enforced it would be far safer. The old line about there is bold and there is old, but very few old bold. The crap I see now on the highways with pissed off drivers who have no emotional control is an amazing sight to see. Bikes setting people like that off are begging for problems.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top