JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a variety of gun powder in a Cabela's DOT Approved storage box

1592785357620.png

It held a bunch of Hogdon powder in 1 lb plastic bottles along with a few Alliant 1lb canisters and 1 8lb jug of surplus 4895
The last time I opened the box was unpacking in July 2018 after we finished moving. All was well and I closed it up

I opened it again last week and to my shock, the interior of the container was coated with a brown fuzzy sort of lint. The paint on the inside was peeling in several places with the brown fuzz filling the peeled areas. There was no odor that I could detect. The weirdest part was that every lid on the Hogdon bottles was gone. The styrofoam seal inside the lids held up on many of the bottles but lids had evaporated for lack of a better word. I did find one remnant of a lid on one Hogdon bottle and it looked melted/rotted, There was brown dust/fuzz in a couple of the bottles but the powder beneath it looked good and in bottles where the styrofoam stayed in place, the powder appears fine, it burned well when I put a pile on the ground and ignited it.
The other weird part was that neither the Alliant containers nor the surplus jug were damaged or contaminated. All of the cans of powder in that container were made of plastic The lids on the Alliant and surplus were intact and tight but every damn Hogdon lid was gone, presumably converted to the brown fuzz in that was everywhere in that container.
I reached out to Hogdon and received no reply in the week since I sent it.
We did have a few days over 100 last summer and this was stored in my garage but generally the weather here is mild and seldom over the mid 80s in summer.

So what the hell happened?

I've already fertilized the lawn and garden with a couple pounds of the dusty powder I will be taking The rest of the contaminated cans to the local fire dept. for disposal

1592769683379.png

Look at the walls of the container!

And not a scratch on the Alliant canisters

Dang 1592769639263.png

Nitroglycerin eats away at plastics, temperatures can effect how nitroglycerin bounds itself to things. It can leach from powders at certain temps, then condense again. Looks like that might have happened here. Maybe, just my thoughts.

WOW I have powders that my dad bought in the 60's that are still viable and loads end up within a few fps of what the book says they should. Never seen anything like that. I do keep my powders in a room with very stable temps being its surrounded on all sides by other rooms and has a very well insulated ceiling.

Paint on the inside of the box gassing and affected the plastic lids? And then a reaction with the lids + powder? rubber seal on the lid seeing as the paint inside the box is affected on the upper edge.

Crazy! I'd say you're lucky there wasn't a kaboom!

It probably got hotter than 100 in the garage so I'm guessing elevated temperatures are partly to blame.

Additionally, I though bulk powder was technically supposed to be stored in a wooden structure, not a metal enclosure because of the danger of shrapnel and what might happen with a sealed metal container.

Definitely looks like the powder degraded from the color and "dust".

I will be taking The rest of the contaminated cans to the local fire dept. for disposal
Seriously?

Why even make contact with a 'public' organization about this?

Just rinse it out with a hose and throw the cannisters away.

End of story.

Last Edited:
Additionally, I though bulk powder was technically supposed to be stored in a wooden structure, not a metal enclosure because of the danger of shrapnel and what might happen with a sealed metal container.

Definitely looks like the powder degraded from the color and "dust".
Well, here's the copy from the manufacturer

Lockable Portable Storage Container

Type-4 Indoor Magazine

*Pictured with optional casters (set of 4, #1360002)

This tough and portable locking storage unit is Made in USA and comes equipped with two mortised locks, which are approved by the ATF as a Type-4 Indoor Magazine (see ATF Ruling here). This is an ideal way to store your propellants, model rocket motors, fireworks or other low explosives and flammable solids that require a Type-4 Storage Box.

Meets all requirements as set forth in subpart K storage, Type-4 indoor portable box, sections 55.203 and 55.210(b) of the federal law relating to explosives 18 USC chapter 40.

Seriously?

Why even make contact with a 'public' organization about this?

Just rinse it out with a hose and throw the cannisters away.

End of story.
Because that's a lot of chemical crap to dump down a sewer or storm drain.
I've been led to believe the fire departments uses this stuff for training purposes
It is not an illegal amount, if there are any ordinances about that here.

Nitroglycerin eats away at plastics, temperatures can effect how nitroglycerin bounds itself to things. It can leach from powders at certain temps, then condense again. Looks like that might have happened here. Maybe, just my thoughts.
I believe you may be right but if so, that is a ridiculous way for Hogdon to pack their powders. At least it appears that Alliant makes sure their product doesn't destroy it's container

Well, here's the copy from the manufacturer

Lockable Portable Storage Container

Type-4 Indoor Magazine

*Pictured with optional casters (set of 4, #1360002)

This tough and portable locking storage unit is Made in USA and comes equipped with two mortised locks, which are approved by the ATF as a Type-4 Indoor Magazine (see ATF Ruling here). This is an ideal way to store your propellants, model rocket motors, fireworks or other low explosives and flammable solids that require a Type-4 Storage Box.

Meets all requirements as set forth in subpart K storage, Type-4 indoor portable box, sections 55.203 and 55.210(b) of the federal law relating to explosives 18 USC chapter 40.
Seems pretty straightforward.
Sounds like you should have been fine except for the temperature part.

I gave the link to the part where I was thinking.

Looking at the pictures again. It really looks like the container itself is what degraded the most. I'm guessing the walls are some sort of composite. Perhaps an elevation change or nitroglycerin reaction popped of a lid or two, Hogdgens by the look of it, and the residual nitroglycerin reacted with the paint on the walls perhaps. Combined with heat and exposure, the whole thing just eroded to a pile of nasty!

San Jose CA is 45 ft above sea level, where I lived was maybe 200 ft Altitude where I am now is 275ft
The only altitude I faced on the move up here was a 4000+ ft pass on I-5

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top