JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had good luck with a 50gr HP out of a single shot with Benchmark. Was accurate enough for me at 100 yards near max charge. Rifle has a 1/12 twist I believe. Handi rifle.
My Savage has a 1/9 twist. I am hoping I can get the Berry's 55gr fmjs to shoot well in it because I have thousands of them. I have around a thousand 62gr fmjs and maybe a thousand of the Hornady 55gr fmjs.

I have many other lighter and heavier weight .224 bullets but not in sufficient quantities to allow for extensive load work ups. I have a fair amount of 77gr SMKs but I don't think they would be the best choice for 1/9 twist barrel. I wanted to save those for 224 Valkyrie and 1/7 twist AR15 loads anyways.

A couple of things, flyers or shots that miss & Temperature shifts.
A chronograph captures hot and cold shots. Plenty of shooters don't use chronographs
Agreed. Plenty of shooters don't.

But if accuracy is your goal, a chronograph's value will exhibit itself prior to ever owning one. It does far more than registering "hot" and "cold" shots. Primarily, it allows a path for the shooter toward consistency in the load. The chronograph displays velocity comparisons shot-to-shot, loading batch to loading batch. It analyzes predicted consistency based on current data. Though the most consistent velocity load may NOT be the most accurate load, it is an indicator of a correct path. :cool:

Agreed. Plenty of shooters don't.

But if accuracy is your goal, a chronograph's value will exhibit itself prior to ever owning one. It does far more than registering "hot" and "cold" shots. Primarily, it allows a path for the shooter toward consistency in the load. The chronograph displays velocity comparisons shot-to-shot, loading batch to loading batch. It analyzes predicted consistency based on current data. Though the most consistent velocity load may NOT be the most accurate load, it is an indicator of a correct path. :cool:
The short version being,

"Hey! Adding just two/tenths of a grain made the ol' Chrono really smooth out on that series!"
I consider the Chronograph my most important tool. When I started reloading 308 last century, 100 yard accuracy was easy but not 300.
Using a chronograph has made accuracy at 300 yds expected and enabled 600 yard with adequate preparation.

If you reload with lead bullets, velocity is essential to avoid too fast loads.

Last Edited:
My Savage has a 1/9 twist. I am hoping I can get the Berry's 55gr fmjs to shoot well in it because I have thousands of them. I have around a thousand 62gr fmjs and maybe a thousand of the Hornady 55gr fmjs.

I have many other lighter and heavier weight .224 bullets but not in sufficient quantities to allow for extensive load work ups. I have a fair amount of 77gr SMKs but I don't think they would be the best choice for 1/9 twist barrel. I wanted to save those for 224 Valkyrie and 1/7 twist AR15 loads anyways.
Both my savage .223 1:9 twist rifles shoot the 77gr lights out.

How do your rifles do with 55s and 62s, what are some of the favorite powders they like?
I'd have to go back and look at the specifics (not home at the moment). Got some really good groups with Bobs bullets (55gr) probably with TAC or could have been H335

I don't shoot the 62gr variety. Doesn't really do anything for me personally.
I picked up a couple of thousand 62gr Hornady bullets in a component package deal I bought from a WA member. These are not the ones with the penetrator in them, just a slightly heavier version of their 55gr fmj.

I would suggest making sure your vision isn't compromised. I believe my lack of accuracy was partially due to my near vision suffering. Adding some cheap reading glasses has made the scope picture much better.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top