JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apologies if this has been asked to death before.

Here is the situation:

I am an OR resident and want to trade my lever action rifle to a WA resident acquaintance who has a Ruger PCC.

As I understand it, the PCC is now illegal to buy (and transfer?) in Washington. But I assume he can still sell it out of state to an OR resident.

My question is, would this transfer scenario be legal and the right way to go:

I drive up to WA with my lever action rifle and meet him at an FFL in WA. We do the transfer for the lever. He then has that FFL ship to my OR FFL and I return to OR to finalize paperwork on the PCC.
Is that how it would go?

TIA

Long guns can typically be purchased through an FFL for out of state residents. I don't think Washington has a waiting period or permit to purchase for long guns, trust but verify. So I would find an Oregon FFL willing to do both.

The Washington resident can come to an Oregon FFL to purchase/trade a (legal) rifle. Why don't you arrange to have him come down here instead of shipping one way?
Handguns have to be transferred in the state of the recipient, so this wouldn't work for a handgun.

Apologies if this has been asked to death before.

Here is the situation:

I am an OR resident and want to trade my lever action rifle to a WA resident acquaintance who has a Ruger PCC.

As I understand it, the PCC is now illegal to buy (and transfer?) in Washington. But I assume he can still sell it out of state to an OR resident.

My question is, would this transfer scenario be legal and the right way to go:

I drive up to WA with my lever action rifle and meet him at an FFL in WA. We do the transfer for the lever. He then has that FFL ship to my OR FFL and I return to OR to finalize paperwork on the PCC.
Is that how it would go?

TIA
Since you can buy a long gun in WA you "may" be able to buy the PCC here. Since the FFL here would be using your state laws to do that transfer. If so you could save on the shipping. Not being an FFL not sure but could not hurt to ask. First place to start is the buddy here in WA. Have him go to an FFL here and ask them. What anyone here tells you will not much matter. Ask an FFL here you two want to use. If you do this let us know how it went. Others may end up wanting to do the same thing.

While it is legal for a WA resident to buy long guns in OR, most FFLs don't want to deal with the ever changing BS that is WA gun laws. Most don't pay much attention to what is legal this month for WA, so they just wont sell any item that requires a BGC.

OP, I'd do the deal in OR, but call the FFL and see if they will even do it. Also, is the PCC really a rifle, or is it a braced pistol?

I'd recommend that you drive to an FFL near his home and transfer the lever gun to him there. Since there is a mandatory 10 day wait, it will make it easier for him to pick it up once it clears. Have him do the same for you by transferring it to you at a local FFL near you.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top