JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe one day my wife will quit trying to talk to me from the other end of the house. :rolleyes:
When people try talking to me from a distance, I keep telling them "I can hear you are saying something, but I can't understand what you are saying". It is ten times worse when their back is to me. Most acquaintances know I have a significant hearing deficit but they seem to not want to take it into account. :s0054:

When people try talking to me from a distance, I keep telling them "I can hear you are saying something, but I can't understand what you are saying". It is ten times worse when their back is to me. Most acquaintances know I have a significant hearing deficit but they seem to not want to take it into account. :s0054:

I had a golf "buddy" who would talk to me on the course while facing away despite my repeatedly telling him that I can't hear him. I finally gave up and just ignored him when he did that. This didn't stop him, but it annoyed me less. Eventually I realized this was just one part of a larger pattern of passive-aggressive behavior and stopped golfing with him.

I had a golf "buddy" who would talk to me on the course while facing away despite my repeatedly telling him that I can't hear him. I finally gave up and just ignored him when he did that. This didn't stop him, but it annoyed me less. Eventually I realized this was just one part of a larger pattern of passive-aggressive behavior and stopped golfing with him.
To be fair, I know that the people who do this (at least most of them) are forgetting (or don't realize) that turning their back on me cuts way down on the volume/etc. of their speech. So I have to remind them. Same goes for distance.

OTOH - I've had a few people who get frustrated with me when I ask them to repeat themselves - sometimes to the point of them seeming to get mad at me. Those are the people that in turn make me mad because they do not have the patience to deal with my disability. I am glad I no longer have to deal with such people (I am thinking of one person in particular I used to work with).

Additionally, for me, they may also need to slow down and enunciate their words - in part due to my hearing, but also because I have always (since I was a child) speech processing problems (I think I always had a level of hearing deficit too, just not near as bad as today) - it isn't just spoken speech either, it can be closed-captioned text too.

To be fair, I know that the people who do this (at least most of them) are forgetting (or don't realize) that turning their back on me cuts way down on the volume/etc. of their speech. So I have to remind them. Same goes for distance.

OTOH - I've had a few people who get frustrated with me when I ask them to repeat themselves - sometimes to the point of them seeming to get mad at me. Those are the people that in turn make me mad because they do not have the patience to deal with my disability. I am glad I no longer have to deal with such people (I am thinking of one person in particular I used to work with).

Additionally, for me, they may also need to slow down and enunciate their words - in part due to my hearing, but also because I have always (since I was a child) speech processing problems (I think I always had a level of hearing deficit too, just not near as bad as today) - it isn't just spoken speech either, it can be closed-captioned text too.

I'm sure there are people who just forget. I'm fine with them.

Back on topic.

1719434062267.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top