JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know there was a recent law passed but has been held up in court, is that right? So I am curious as someone who is NOT an OR resident what are the requirements to purchase firearms in OR? Do I need some $65 permit? If I do, is that for each firearm or is it a one-time fee? I was already expecting a background check to be run. I was considering possible buying something locally but am also looking at ordering some magazines. And the last would be ordering some stripped AR lowers to pick up in OR at a FFL shop. Sorry if this has been covered here but I keep finding conflicting information.

I know there was a recent law passed but has been held up in court, is that right? So I am curious as someone who is NOT an OR resident what are the requirements to purchase firearms in OR? Do I need some $65 permit? If I do, is that for each firearm or is it a one-time fee? I was already expecting a background check to be run. I was considering possible buying something locally but am also looking at ordering some magazines. And the last would be ordering some stripped AR lowers to pick up in OR at a FFL shop. Sorry if this has been covered here but I keep finding conflicting information.
Don't know where you live cuz you list 3 places but your state of residence controls for serialized lowers and guns. No additional permit due to being in Oregon. Mags have no restrictions. Measure 114 the law you are talking about is not in effect yet.

I probably shouldn't buy another handgun right now anyway (at least according to my wife 😆). Although there are a couple I'd like. 🤔 So what about an AR-15 stripped lower? I have a line on a deal I'd need shipped to OR. I'll be in OR for about the next 6-7 weeks. I travel for work sometimes.

Last Edited:
Not a lawyer but I'm not aware of any Oregon-specific restrictions that would get in the way of an out of state resident purchasing a lower in Oregon, *at least at this time*… unless you count the dreaded BGC queue!

Background checks in Oregon are conducted by the state police and not through the national NICS system. A background check can be called in, but usually they are submitted online. The queue often gets very long (last I heard it was around 2700) and they're processed at a rate of like 20-25/hour, 14 hours a day… meaning it could take over a week for the background check to be approved. So if you're in Oregon for something like 5 days, it could be a problem. In that case, you might ask if the dealer could call it in… the hold times are long but the odds are better that you can have it that same day.

Long guns are the only thing you can buy outside your state of residence. No "handgun" or "receiver". That's federal law. So you can not buy lowers outside of your residential state.

Edit: technically you CAN buy handguns and receivers outside your state of residence, but they can only be transfered to you from a FFL in your state. So you'd have to ship them to TX as was mentioned above.

I'm now curious if one could circumvent a firearm prohibition due to a local protective order by going out of state? Does a TRO go into a national database? It would be a very stupid thing to do. But I'm curious if you get stuck in a prohibition database, how hard is it to be removed one cleared of any wrongdoing?
A guy I worked with had to get rid of all his guns due to a protective order that was later dropped. I know he had trouble buying a new rifle some time later. He said he was quite humiliated when he was told he was prohibited due to an old TRO.

I'm now curious if one could circumvent a firearm prohibition due to a local protective order by going out of state? Does a TRO go into a national database? It would be a very stupid thing to do. But I'm curious if you get stuck in a prohibition database, how hard is it to be removed one cleared of any wrongdoing?
A guy I worked with had to get rid of all his guns due to a protective order that was later dropped. I know he had trouble buying a new rifle some time later. He said he was quite humiliated when he was told he was prohibited due to an old TRO.
This is the kind of thing you need a lawyer for. Best one that does this kind of work. Going by what anyone on line tells you is just begging for disaster.

Purchasing out of state, you still sign the 4473 that asks the question..."are you subject to", so you're headed down a Bidenlike rabbit hole with lying on the form.

You can get old, erroneous data removed, but most likely it will be a challenge. If you know where it's at, start with the court clerk.

How about this scenario: someone in another state mails a long gun (rifle) to me (a TX resident) in OR as a loaner or gift. If they mail it to an OR FFL, could I pick it up there? I'd just like a little input. I plan on calling the potential FFL and seeing what they say. Having a hard time with the Google on something that checks all these boxes for the situation. Unfortunately I can't make things easy by being in TX since my schedule has me in the PNW into fall and I probably won't be close to TX until possibly Nov.-Dec.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top