JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Did You Or Are You Going To Start Collecting Social Security Retirement Income At 62, Full Retiremen

• Age 62

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Full Retirement Age

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Age 70

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Before Age 62, because I got lucky.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
By 65, I was in so much pain from physical work in my job and had to retire. But I had almost 1 1/2 more years until FRA. So, what I did was draw on my deceased spouse's SS benefits so I could quit my job. I did that until I drew on my own FRA benefits which is more than double.

May I ask why you regret retiring so soon? For financial reasons?
my retirement account is getting thin, i have too much free time, i have itchy feet. my pickup is 20 years old. i could have kept my CDL and could still be driving truck on a part time basis. it will cost me $3,000 to get my cdl back. i cant afford to do all the fun things i thought i would do in retirement. the wife is retired now and that creates some friction. i didn't plan on living this long. i could go on, but............

my retirement account is getting thin, i have too much free time, i have itchy feet. my pickup is 20 years old. i could have kept my CDL and could still be driving truck on a part time basis. it will cost me $3,000 to get my cdl back. i cant afford to do all the fun things i thought i would do in retirement. the wife is retired now and that creates some friction. i didn't plan on living this long. i could go on, but............
A few people I have worked with over the last many years have done the CDL route. Due to money being offered. The one worked part time for a long time after keeping his job with us. He was driving one of those mini bus things full of older people from some retirement community. He loved the easy extra money. Since you have had one before it should be a snap to pass again. I would go ahead and get it back. You will not need to work full weeks. Just enough to pay for the toys and give your free time more money to have fun with. Seems like a win to me. :D

i am thinking the same thing i have enough in my retirement account to cover the schooling but i still have to pass the physical, i have to have my cardiologists approval. i could never drive a bus, been too independent for that. i still long for the open road. have dreams ( and nightmares) about driving a big rig and still miss it.

I am winging it, plan is to SS at 62, in three years.

As someone on here stated, subject to change.

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy"

Currently work three days a week max anyways.
I guess I am semi-retired, I mean... I did ride my dirt bike three times this week, so far

Just got word that a close friend, exactly one month older than me (would have been 70 next week), died of cancer. I am not particularly surprised - he was a heavy smoker for somewhere around 40 years, so...

You just don't know when it will be your time though, unless you make it your time. :s0092:

I plan to start collecting at 62 just to get my foot in the door. If the economy has recovered enough by then I will reopen my business as a corporation and pay myself just under the amount allowed by SS so my benefits are not reduced.

I plan to start collecting at 62 just to get my foot in the door. If the economy has recovered enough by then I will reopen my business as a corporation and pay myself just under the amount allowed by SS so my benefits are not reduced.
When you get to FRA, you have to also watch your income closely so that your SS benes won't be taxed.

Food for thought. Suppose both spouses are collecting SS and are just getting by and don't have a great deal of savings. One day one of you will pass away and you have to be prepared for that. It brings you down to one income. Will you still be able to support yourself?

Food for thought. Suppose both spouses are collecting SS and are just getting by and don't have a great deal of savings. One day one of you will pass away and you have to be prepared for that. It brings you down to one income. Will you still be able to support yourself?
I can - been divorced/single for ~35 years. I am doing okay. Would be doing great with two incomes.

I believe if the couple is married, the spouse can keep collecting the spouse's entitlement, or part of it.

That all makes sense and shapes my views on my retirement plans. Thank you!

I used to think I might want to do some part time coding for pay - but that temp gig convinced me that I didn't.
I've had misguided bursts of enthusiasm for taking on employment since I retired. About five or six. It hasn't happened lately. I'd get inspired for one reason or another by an opportunity that came along. I'd get invested in the application process, several times I even got hired. Then I'd change my mind, call the HR peep and back out. I've wondered if maybe in at least some of those cases, maybe I did it just to see how far I could get in the process. I haven't regretted my decisions in all cases.

I've had misguided bursts of enthusiasm for taking on employment since I retired. About five or six. It hasn't happened lately. I'd get inspired for one reason or another by an opportunity that came along. I'd get invested in the application process, several times I even got hired. Then I'd change my mind, call the HR peep and back out. I've wondered if maybe in at least some of those cases, maybe I did it just to see how far I could get in the process. I haven't regretted my decisions in all cases.
Yeah my dad was a Nuclear Engineer and NDT Engineer and worked out at Trojan until the end . Compliance stuff for the NRC. Then he worked at Weyerhauser in IT for years until he retired. Got bored and picked up a gig at Hanford to help clean up their paperwork fiasco. They were paying him Handsomely !!!! He could only take about 3 weeks of that sh!t show before he hung it up for good.

At first, I got inquiries from recruiters, because I had put my resume out there after being laid off and I was actually looking for work. I did have 2-3 interviews per month (many of them thought I was female due to the spelling of my first name, and were looking for one to fill their EO quota.

But once the UI benes ran out (~18 months), I stopped looking and retired. I still got inquiries up until about a year ago but I ignored them. They tapered off and now I get maybe one a month, if that.

At first I looked at them, but now I don't - I just mark them as spam and delete them.

I get the franchise spam too - often disguised as job offers until you read the email and they want me to invest in a franchise of some sort.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top