JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am starting this thread to keep track of progress on my Savage Axis 1 Accurizing Project. The rifle is currently stock and chambered in 223. I will leave it that way except for a trigger job while developing loads that it likes. The trigger is natrocious and that needs some level of improvement before spending a bunch of time on working up loads.

Once I find some loads that it likes at 100 yards, I will start messing around with other parts of the rifle. I will limit this rifle to a 300 yard gun for this project.

No accu-trigger on you Axis? Reason I ask is my axis 2 has one and I thought the only difference between the 2 was the pillar bedding in the axis 2 stock. I might have an extra accu-trigger tool if you need one.

No accu-trigger on you Axis? Reason I ask is my axis 2 has one and I thought the only difference between the 2 was the pillar bedding in the axis 2 stock. I might have an extra accu-trigger tool if you need one.
No accutrigger on the edge/axis original. All other things are the same.

No accutrigger on the edge/axis original. All other things are the same.
Correct mine does not have the accutrigger. It gets even more complicated with some of the early Axis (Edge model) rifles having no threaded hole for adding overtravel screw.

I will have to take mine out of the action to determine if I can use a kit like this.

1000003248.jpg

Correct mine does not have the accutrigger. It gets even more complicated with some of the early Axis (Edge model) rifles having no threaded hole for adding overtravel screw.

I will have to take mine out of the action to determine if I can use a kit like this.

View attachment 1903279
I have the exact same one. It doesn't feel any differently than stock.

Here are some options. I haven't bought any yet (haven't fired the rifle since I bought it about 4 years ago.)

Before I fork over hard earned cash for fancy trigger spring kits, I am going to try cutting a coil or two off of the factory spring or buy a replacement spring from Ace.

At least you shot it.
Betcha a beer, according won't do squat. The Axis I series sucked. You're putting tinsel on a sow's ear.
Maybe. I sold my unfired 12fv in 223 to my Boss and took him to the 200/300 range at TCGC numerous times as my guest. He bought fancy Federal match grade ammo and a huge scope for it. He was shooting tiny groups with it. I brought my Savage Axis with Remington 55gr grain ammo and 3x9 scope and could barely keep them on a pie plate. I still have a 12fvin 308 and I hope it shoots as well as the 223 did.

I dug the rifle out of the safe. Next range trip I will take it out and run 5 five shot groups, each, of the following.

Factory Remington 55gr fmj

Somebody else's reloads I bought, two different recipes:

1000003252.jpg

1000003251.jpg

I will also try some of my AR15 reloads but I am not confident that the Savage will be able to set off the #41 primers.

1000003253.jpg

If you are wondering why the love for the Remington 223 ammo. Dick's ran some crazy clearance deal on the 50 packs a number of years ago, so I cleaned out a couple of different stores.

Yeah, the same one on Ebay. At the time the only seller offering the kit. There was one other manufacturer that selling a pretty expensive kit way more I was willing to spend.
I will try some homemade fixes, if that doesn't pan out, I'll give the MCarbo stuff a try. Thanks for the heads up on ebay kits.

I found a box of springs in my tool box. I saw some promising ones in there. I decided to set a baseline accuracy before fussing with it. I should be able to get the baseline testing done this coming week, then it's trigger job time.

I have 50 cases prepped and ready for powder and bullets. My plan for first powder is to use TAC with 55gr and 62gr bullets. For the 55gr bullets, I will do 22, 22.5, 23, 23.5 and 24 grain loads. Still deciding on charge size for 62gr bullets. If any of these loads give me good groups, I can revisit the loads with tighter increments.

Last Edited:
I am revising the goal for this rifle. Instead of trying to get it to shoot tiny little groups, I going to test the durability and accuracy under hard and abbynormal use & abuse. I expect to prematurely wear out the barrel but the great thing about Savage rifles is the relative ease of barrel replacement. First step is modifying that terrible trigger. I have some bubba-ing to do today.

First test will be 100rnds in an hour. Hopefully the stock doesn't melt.