JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the "old days" my stereo set-up was a Phillips turntable, an Akai tube tape deck, a Fisher tube tuner/amp with ~20 watts per side, and a pair of Altec A-7 Voice of the Theater cabs.
Crossovers at 500Hz.
Nobody ever complained about sound quality.
You never felt like the sound was being "blasted" at you from a point, the sound was "just there" around you.
When the woofers have a 1/2" of cone excursion the dynamics don't disappear.

Back in the "old days" my stereo set-up was a Phillips turntable, an Akai tube tape deck, a Fisher tube tuner/amp with ~20 watts per side, and a pair of Altec A-7 Voice of the Theater cabs.
Crossovers at 500Hz.
Nobody ever complained about sound quality.
You never felt like the sound was being "blasted" at you from a point, the sound was "just there" around you.
When the woofers have a 1/2" of cone excursion the dynamics don't disappear.
Definitely beautiful setup! Lots of people still raves these Altecs. My friend had a Klipsch Corwall. He sold it and bought the Altec.

Definitely beautiful setup! Lots of people still raves these Altecs. My friend had a Klipsch Corwall. He sold it and bought the Altec.
Yeah, today many would add a center channel sub-woofer, the VOT starts to roll off at ~40Hx.
To really enjoy them you need a room big enough to get back away from the cabs 20' or more, it's just the nature of the bass reflex/exponential horn-loaded cabinet.

Yeah, today many would add a center channel sub-woofer, the VOT starts to roll off at ~40Hx.
To really enjoy them you need a room big enough to get back away from the cabs 20' or more, it's just the nature of the bass reflex/exponential horn-loaded cabinet.
Excellent statistics. Matched made in heaven is the key. I am considering changing my main woofer driver. a 6.5 inch speaker (driver only) something like this (but not a full range).
The 6.5 inch tower 2-way speaker is driven by a 15 wpc 300b amp (like western electric.) I am looking for a 6.5 inch woofer (driver only) that has a lower wattage than the normal like some old Altecs. Preferably 15 up to no more than 40 watts 4 or 8 ohms, paper cone or any treated paper or hemp cone, metal cast or alum cast housing, input sensitivity no lower than 90 db.
I like lower power speakers because I want the full potential of the speakers rather than getting a 100db input sensitivity with high wattage. I prefer not using subs.
I was looking at the Dayton audio at parts express by I haven't bough anything from them yet. Any takes....?
Look at this Goodman 8 inch speakers. 6 watts with a basket and magnet that weight a ton. Disappointing they dont make speakers like these anymore same as your Altecs.

1719794940825.jpeg

Last Edited:
Oh but they do.
Great Plains Audio still makes several of the old Altec speakers and HF drivers.
They have the original tooling to produce new product.
https://greatplainsaudio.com/
They have lots of 15", 12", 10". Not 8".
Great site and thanks for letting me know.
I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can re-cone an 8 inch Goodman or equivalent.
1719811435917.jpeg
1719811454941.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top