JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's exactly one of the reasons I carry a tablet.
After tablets became so damn cheap they were the way to go. LOVE having one at work that is just WiFi. Simple to carry and use when I have down time. At home great for using all around the home without picking up a laptop.
As for the click bait story cry me a river. The one complaint is men are getting lazy. Said if they don't work they don't eat. Well that problem will fix its self fast as long as they do not introduce welfare.

After tablets became so damn cheap they were the way to go. LOVE having one at work that is just WiFi. Simple to carry and use when I have down time. At home great for using all around the home without picking up a laptop.
As for the click bait story cry me a river. The one complaint is men are getting lazy. Said if they don't work they don't eat. Well that problem will fix its self fast as long as they do not introduce welfare.
Mine also doubles as a big GPS map screen in the truck.

I have a bracket that I can insert the tablet into one-handed. It partially blocks one AC vent but it's never been an issue. A laptop would probably fit but I wouldn't want the keyboard in the way. Plus I feel like it looks too LEO.
I am very used to keyboards and strongly prefer them - plus the rugged laptop wi=ould have a touch screen. Also, either the pickup or the truck would be taken over rough dusty roads, and possibly used outside when it is wet.

*shrug* - to each their own.

I am very used to keyboards and strongly prefer them - plus the rugged laptop wi=ould have a touch screen. Also, either the pickup or the truck would be taken over rough dusty roads, and possibly used outside when it is wet.

*shrug* - to each their own.
One thing to consider is a lot of tablets have passive cooling, while many laptops (even rugadized ones) have active cooling (fans). All fans will eventually succumb to dust intrusion, the only question is if they will do that before or after the life of the rest of the machine. If you do go with a laptop I would recommend keeping a can of air on hand in the truck, and give the cooling system a good blow out on a regular basis. Dust intrusion can be a real b*tch.

(also, I hate having to log out to see the context of these conversations. This is going to be a really annoying one to follow. . . )

One thing to consider is a lot of tablets have passive cooling, while many laptops (even rugadized ones) have active cooling (fans). All fans will eventually succumb to dust intrusion, the only question is if they will do that before or after the life of the rest of the machine. If you do go with a laptop I would recommend keeping a can of air on hand in the truck, and give the cooling system a good blow out on a regular basis. Dust intrusion can be a real b*tch.

(also, I hate having to log out to see the context of these conversations. This is going to be a really annoying one to follow. . . )
View: https://youtu.be/i5homfGR0QE?si=8f8GoRyCgdSg7jTG&t=134

Oh I am sure they have perfectly good seals to keep dust out of the electronics. That is not the problem. The problem is dust gets into the cooling system and clogs up the air flow and (eventually) ruins the fan. Then you have to take the whole thing apart to replace the fan and clean out the dust clogs.

Most tablets*, on the other hand, use a giant heat sink on the back to passively cool the system, which has no moving parts and no air channels to get clogged. Granted you pay for that in performance, because passive cooling cannot handle huge cooling loads, but if all you want is GPS/web browsing, or do do some light duty office work in the truck, a tablet with a separate, fully sealed USB keyboard might be a more rugged option.

I do know the Dell rugged laptops are pretty good though, and as long as you take care of them they will last a good long while in adverse environments. But they are not invincible and a tablet will be able to go longer with less maintenance in that same environment, if you are willing to suffer the performance hit that comes with it.

Just something to consider, pick what works best for you.

*I am not talking about the fully fledged laptops in a tablet case. Those still have active cooling with all its inherent problems. I mean a low power, actual tablet machine with everything mounted to one board and one big heat sink style case.

Damn! That is impressive. I have noticed for a good while the LEO's and Medics coming in with those things but did not pay much attention. Damn things are pricey but that is impressive what they can be put through.
Every couple of months, Woot has a refurbished Dell 7414 rugged laptop on sale for ~$350 - basically the equivalent of my current Lenovo laptop. Newegg has a refurbished 7424 on sale for $850.

Both have some interesting features besides being "rugged"; like a touchscreen display that is supposed to be viewable in sunlight (TBD), hot swapable battery that is upgradable (IMO - easily replacable/upgradable batteries are important in any portable device - eventually you need to replace the battery as its life degrades - being able to hot swap it without losing work is a kewl feature for the field), upgrade RAM from 16 to 32 GB using std SODIMMs, a swappable SSD (upgradable to 4TB), a "Stealth" feature (turn off everything in the laptop quickly with a key combination). And I believe, it has a GPS module.

Looking at the owners manual, the internals seem to be very modular, with a lot of the modules fairly easy to swap out if a repair is needed.

Of course, it weighs 2X+ what my Lenovo weighs and is a lot bulkier, but that is to be expected for a ruggedized laptop. *shrug*

No mention of 12VDC or power consumption
Yeah that is what i am waiting for- make it 12v, able to be powered straight off a lithium battery with no need for an inverter. If they can do this and keep the power consumption the same as current, you could power it for days and days with a decent lithium battery set up, and indefinitely off the grid with a decent solar to lithium set up. PS I already have both the solar and Lithium batter set up- ELON bring on the 12v mini dishy!!

Have a customer far out in the woods paying A LOT a month for microwave and wants to try StarLink Business w/ the performance dish ($2500 + the $250/month plan). Lots of $$ for sure, but a $750/month savings.

Not a StarLink reseller. Heard with the large dish they ship the wedge mount - needed to a secure pole mount adaptor - is shipped delayed and separately. The problem with that is if the customer orders the dish and power supply on their 30-day trial, and then the mount shows up at the 30-day mark the trial is over.

Want to help them even though there isn't much $$ motivation for me. Proficient in routers and IT so that part is easy.

Climbed onto the clearest structure out there, flat roof, and the Starlink App sees the TALL trees up the hill about 75 yards away. (see mobile pic save)

Would rather purchase the dish (they will reimburse) from Best Buy in Clackamas and have a face to face person to deal with instead of a zero customer service level internet entity. Same pricing and they sell mounts. If they don't have everything in stock to do the project the customer will have to wait until they do.

They are awesome people, want to save them money, but as they say No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. Could set up a test network, run PingPlotter/Teamviwer off it with a couple PCs and VoIP phones vs just connecting StarLink to their business network and hoping it is going to be OK. About an 1.5hr drive out there.

Starlink Obstructions.jpg Baird Pole Mount Flat Roof.jpg

Have a customer far out in the woods paying A LOT a month for microwave and wants to try StarLink Business w/ the performance dish ($2500 + the $250/month plan). Lots of $$ for sure, but a $750/month savings.

Not a StarLink reseller. Heard with the large dish they ship the wedge mount - needed to a secure pole mount adaptor - is shipped delayed and separately. The problem with that is if the customer orders the dish and power supply on their 30-day trial, and then the mount shows up at the 30-day mark the trial is over.

Want to help them even though there isn't much $$ motivation for me. Proficient in routers and IT so that part is easy.

Climbed onto the clearest structure out there, flat roof, and the Starlink App sees the TALL trees up the hill about 75 yards away. (see mobile pic save)

Would rather purchase the dish (they will reimburse) from Best Buy in Clackamas and have a face to face person to deal with instead of a zero customer service level internet entity. Same pricing and they sell mounts. If they don't have everything in stock to do the project the customer will have to wait until they do.

They are awesome people, want to save them money, but as they say No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. Could set up a test network, run PingPlotter/Teamviwer off it with a couple PCs and VoIP phones vs just connecting StarLink to their business network and hoping it is going to be OK. About an 1.5hr drive out there.

View attachment 1901795 View attachment 1901796
I can't speak to the performance/etc. of the business dishes or how/why that would meet the requirements for a given business, as I have no experience with that particular system, but I will say that my systems did a lot better than I thought they would with regards to trees that I have around my house (lots of them, and very tall).

Also, I have not used my system for over a year since I went to TMobile to reduce my costs. But from the feedback I have read on Reddit and blogs/etc., Starlink pretty much has so many satellites up now, and more and more of them being the mini V2 satellites, that if you have a direct overhead view of the sky, then interference is not an issue anymore.

I know it is possible to mount their dishes on a solid 2" extending flag pole and gain height that way. Seen many vanlifers/RVs do that to help negate trees blocking the signals. Just have a flat roof though to work with due to the crazy overhang. Will take pics and provide details. Performance BIG dish only because they need every advantage out there.

Starlink Pole.jpg

I know it is possible to mount their dishes on a solid 2" extending flag pole and gain height that way. Seen many vanlifers/RVs do that to help negate trees blocking the signals. Just have a flat roof though to work with due to the crazy overhang. Will take pics and provide details. Performance BIG dish only because they need every advantage out there.

View attachment 1901819
Yup - I got an "eave" mount for a TV antenna, then got the Starlink 8' ground pole mount, and put the SL pole in the eave mount. It is still attached to my house roof after two years - it worked fine that way. It is powered in order to get firmware updates, but the account is paused now so I am not paying for service (if the cell network went down for more than a day or two, I could restart the service within an hour).

The dish is about 10-15 yards from tall trees to the west of it and has no problems with interference.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top