JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, please tell me you don't drink that guys kool aid..
Mostly the advice about driving hoopties.

I don't have time to listen to you guys badmouthing Dave, I have to go make my breakfast, lunch and dinner.

1000003133.jpg

Trying to live on $500 a month would be a struggle with one car that gets great gas mileage. Adding a second vehicle to the mix would be very difficult. I really wouldn't have much use for a truck otherwise. Packrats would probably tear it up anyways.
I have a PU, the truck and an SUV - all paid for before I retired so sunk cost.

I don't have insurance on either the truck or pickup, nor tabs - I generally only use them on my property. Basically, their only expense is fuel and a little electricity to keep the batteries charged. I drive them so little that there really isn't much cost to owning them. If SHTF, they would both be a lot more useful than my SUV as the SUV would only be used on road and only if the road was passable.

My insurance on the SUV is $100+ a month, more than I spend on actually driving it. *shrug* it sucks, but there it is.

I have a PU, the truck and an SUV - all paid for before I retired so sunk cost.

I don't have insurance on either the truck or pickup, nor tabs - I generally only use them on my property. Basically, their only expense is fuel and a little electricity to keep the batteries charged. I drive them so little that there really isn't much cost to owning them. If SHTF, they would both be a lot more useful than my SUV as the SUV would only be used on road and only if the road was passable.

My insurance on the SUV is $100+ a month, more than I spend on actually driving it. *shrug* it sucks, but there it is.
My insurance on my 2006 hooptie Corolla is $118 a month. I just watched a segment on CNBC this morning saying the average new car this year will cost a person $1000 a month between payment and insurance. Redic!

Last Edited:
Hey, at least some of you will get your SS payments. I am young enough that I will probably get bupkis. There are not enough people my age and younger paying into this pyramid scheme for my generation to get a payout. So we will either have to dip into yet more taxes to get ours or go without. As with most things, eventually you run out of someone else's money.
I was told all my life that SS would not be there when I got to that age, But TADA! I'm here, and they are sending me monthly checks! DR

A 24ft D high quality Teepee. A rig suited to move the Poles with a trailer. A Solar generator set up a small wind generator set up. A bank of suitable hi cap batteries.a 12v fridge. a gas generator a small lt wt camp stove wood burning you can cook on.

Basically go back to 1850 with the addition of modern transport and refrigeration.

A new book came out last week that looks interesting.

Screenshot 2024-06-01 103457.png

"So what has he learned, in a lifetime alone? His opinions about his life decisions remain firm: "I've spent the majority of my life living outside the conventions of mainstream society, and I'll tell you what I think is weird, and it ain't the hermit. It's how entire generations of people have been conned into believing that there is only one way to live, and that's on-grid, in deepening debt, working on products you'll probably never use, to line the pockets of people you'll never meet, just so you might be able to get enough money together to buy a load of crap you don't need, or, if you're lucky, have a holiday that takes you to a place, like where I live, for a week of the happiness I feel every day."

Here's an article about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar-BB1noFYS

A new book came out last week that looks interesting.

View attachment 1891514

"So what has he learned, in a lifetime alone? His opinions about his life decisions remain firm: "I've spent the majority of my life living outside the conventions of mainstream society, and I'll tell you what I think is weird, and it ain't the hermit. It's how entire generations of people have been conned into believing that there is only one way to live, and that's on-grid, in deepening debt, working on products you'll probably never use, to line the pockets of people you'll never meet, just so you might be able to get enough money together to buy a load of crap you don't need, or, if you're lucky, have a holiday that takes you to a place, like where I live, for a week of the happiness I feel every day."

Here's an article about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar-BB1noFYS
The comment about living in a place similar to where some people go "to get away from it all" (to paraphrase) is how I feel about where I live - every day is "away from the things of man".

Minimalist living in the woods sounds like fun when you are young. I used to dream about it too. However, as I aged into an old man, I have come to appreciate the comforts of home. I like my internet, TV, hot shower, comfortable bed and well stocked fridge with really tasty stuff to eat.
I am too old to haul water and cut firewood. Heck, I just converted our fireplace from wood to gas so I can enjoy having a fire without chopping wood.
I am also no longer able to physically do what is required to live off grid. Really doesn't matter though as the wife would have no part of it anyway.
But hey, ya all enjoy dreaming about it and I hope you can pull it off if that is what you want to do.

Over $2100 a month, they would be living like a king and queen with a cabin in the woods.

I get almost $3K/mo from SS - it pays for my mortgage (house, not cabin - but in the "woods"). This year I started to pull $1K/mo from my IRAs to pay for "extras" (preps, "toys", etc.) and unexpected expenses.

The "cabin in the woods" is fine - IF it is all paid for. I am too old to no have running water, septic, and preferably electricity.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top