JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He said "unit" uh, heh heh yeah.....
Well, he didn't say.. "Took It Out". Thank goodness.

Here is a Garmin handheld GPS model comparison matrix. One of the models actually has a 840 hour battery life in one of its modes. Can your phone do that? Of course, some of these cost more than your phone by itself. An app is much cheaper (or free). I don't know if any of these will show property lines and property owners such as some of the phone apps will, which is an astounding feature.

Many of these Garmin models, if not most, come preloaded with maps.

No reason you can't have both, other than money. I like the idea of using my one, with the other along for backup, depending on whether I am hunting or I am hiking the Pacific Coast Trail.

some Garmin models comparison matrix

Not shown here are the Rino models, which are the Garmin models which will show you the locations of other members of your hunting party.
All those Garmin, uh, units, are way more than what we'd need. Just wanting something that is as accurate for forest roads and possibly elevation. Still with the understanding that these roads are susceptible to fallen trees and other unknown closures. and should be able to put it on the car's 9" screen.

My big problem with electronic maps is the small view they allow. Sure you can expand them out but then you loose all detail. I know a larger screen like the lap top sized screens you see Overlanders using helps. But I like a paper map. Sure I'll use Google maps for some stuff but for the most part I prefer paper. and 7.5 or 15 min scale.TOPO's

My big problem with electronic maps is the small view they allow. Sure you can expand them out but then you loose all detail. I know a larger screen like the lap top sized screens you see Overlanders using helps. But I like a paper map. Sure I'll use Google maps for some stuff but for the most part I prefer paper. and 7.5 or 15 min scale.TOPO's
Who are your go-to sources for paper maps? I mentioned earlier the idea of using a phone app and a Garmin GPS ... device ... , where one would be the backup to the other, but what I really want to do is use compass and paper map as backup ... no electricity required (unless you want to make a convoluted case for the earth's magnetic field being a form of electricity).

I played around with compass and map a while back, and found this to be an interesting site

Cascade Orienteering

but I never got around to getting some "adult" maps of areas I might want to trek.

What I occasionally do is if I know exactly where I want to go I will print a 'narrowed down' map of the area from Google maps.

I find this helps a lot when I am heading to one specific place and don't need an expanded map of the area.
I used to do that but now I just set the destination before I even get in the car, review the route and then go. Frankly the audio is enough in a lot of situations once you get used to the quirks and mispronunciations.

What I occasionally do is if I know exactly where I want to go I will print a 'narrowed down' map of the area from Google maps.

I find this helps a lot when I am heading to one specific place and don't need an expanded map of the area.
Ok, that's quick and easy and cheap, but are you getting Topo info on those maps? I know there is a "terrain" view for Google Maps, but is that sufficient for your use?

Get the "On-X" app on your phone or tablet,
carry a few small power banks (in case you need to recharge and call it a day.

THIS
I have been using ON-X on my phones and Tab in car/truck for a little over a year now, and it's SUPER DOOPER awesome. Especially when your in a "No Cell Signal Area" you just download the map your on, and you can continue to use it as is, and it will continue to allow you to track your travel. It's super handy for showing not only the roads but the conditions and "Trail Ratings" so you know if it's passable in your rig or not,a nd it also gives you rout info which is super important to have!! I don't know how we all survived with out this, but now that I have is, I cannot go with out!

THIS
I have been using ON-X on my phones and Tab in car/truck for a little over a year now, and it's SUPER DOOPER awesome. Especially when your in a "No Cell Signal Area" you just download the map your on, and you can continue to use it as is, and it will continue to allow you to track your travel. It's super handy for showing not only the roads but the conditions and "Trail Ratings" so you know if it's passable in your rig or not,a nd it also gives you rout info which is super important to have!! I don't know how we all survived with out this, but now that I have is, I cannot go with out!
Several of the off-road channels that I watch really seem to like it, but of course they are being paid to say that. If @Ura-Ki says it's good, it's good.

I have been using ON-X on my phones and Tab in car/truck for a little over a year now,
? Does this show on the screen in your car/truck?
I've kind of let this idea of mine fall to the side. Became disgusted with trying to find morels. Couldn't find one! Not an over-mature rotten one, or a little immature one. Covered from 3,000k'-4,000k'. Saw other cars in the same areas we were. Had the mushroom goggles on even. :(

? Does this show on the screen in your car/truck?
I've kind of let this idea of mine fall to the side. Became disgusted with trying to find morels. Couldn't find one! Not an over-mature rotten one, or a little immature one. Covered from 3,000k'-4,000k'. Saw other cars in the same areas we were. Had the mushroom goggles on even. :(
It will show the screen until the battery goes out! Lol I have a mount in the Super Cub and one in my trucks that holds it up where you can see it easy, and you can follow your progress just like a GPS unit!

Forgot to mention, it's super easy to drop "Pins" and to save them, as well as sending them to other folks, as long as they also have the app. If not, not to worry, it sends the actual GPS data, so EMS/LEO can find you or at least your PIN!

One of the other cool things, the system is always learning, so as new trails are discovered, or you discover a new trail, On-X logs it and will then display it, and allows you to even name it! Be careful though, if it's not public lands, you could get in trouble!

I think Mike wants it to show up on the screen that is built into the car. The only way I know to do that is with factory GPS.

Mike, when he says tab, I think he means tablet.

There. Now I've either cleared a couple of things up or confused everyone. :)

I think Mike wants it to show up on the screen that is built into the car. The only way I know to do that is with factory GPS.

Mike, when he says tab, I think he means tablet.

There. Now I've either cleared a couple of things up or confused everyone. :)
Tab, as in Apple Tablet, .............Sorry! ;)
I don't know with the manufactures, My Dodge Durango can download some apps, I haven't ever tried, but it might!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top