JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Casually drop one on Broadway in downtown Portland.

No, wait. That wouldn't work. Before any cops showed up for an "explosive device" threat, a tweaker would snag it and take it to a pawn shop.

Tape a job application to it.
But first, fill with dog&cat/animal waste and a lot of dense rocks/pebbles to approximate the weight of a 120mm round! :s0140: then weld it shut. Freak out people, once opened peeeuuuuuwwwwwww

Gonna make a mess when the Bomb Squad robot shoots it with a shotgun.
The weight is right on the tube, so if we could get close to that weight, it'll make for an entertaining distraction :s0140:

Actually, just sandbag loaded to that same weight, and then seal up, maybe braze/solder shut, then offer as "military training weights" :s0140: much like how there's the Rogue weight plates for plate carriers for weight conditioning at crossfit gyms :s0064:

Edit. Actually thats not a bad competition idea. Load up so they each weight 70 lbs total, and challenge to transfer each tube quickly from a pallet to a rack 20-75 yards away or even full 100yds away

Give one to your son to take to school. Tell him it's lighter to carry around all day if you rest it on your shoulder. Make the antigunner teachers crap their pants.

1719438278383.png

Last Edited:
It makes you wonder if some of them are coming back from overseas...
From training ammo, probably these haven't been overseas. Maybe from Yakima Firing Range, poss. Fort Irwin. Or similar.

I doubt they'd ship ammo containers back from theater, too much money goes into handling and shipping to turn around and have DRMO auction them off as surplus. Yet, you have to wonder, why don't they recycle them in the ammunition making business? Meaning, wouldn't there be value in having the manufacturer use them multiple times for the same purpose? I'm sure this has been thought of. Perhaps there are worries that they wouldn't meet condition standards, once they've been issued and used. Oh, and container manufacturers would loose out on new container production.

From training ammo, probably these haven't been overseas. Maybe from Yakima Firing Range, poss. Fort Irwin. Or similar.

I doubt they'd ship ammo containers back from theater, too much money goes into handling and shipping to turn around and have DRMO auction them off as surplus. Yet, you have to wonder, why don't they recycle them in the ammunition making business? Meaning, wouldn't there be value in having the manufacturer use them multiple times for the same purpose? I'm sure this has been thought of. Perhaps there are worries that they wouldn't meet condition standards, once they've been issued and used. Oh, and container manufacturers would loose out on new container production.

And why aren't we selling the stuff we can't ship back, instead of abandoning it?

Well... we are training foreign artillery units overseas as well. Very likely in much larger scale than our own troops, domestically. We can't very well ship foreign troop units into Yakima for training.

The point of shipping back excess materials/equipment/containers has a purpose and something the US has done in previous conflicts. Nearly empty/underloaded supply vessels are not designed to "ride high' and are very unstable in the high seas. Those types of materials were/are(?) often used as ballast to sink a ships keel deeper for stability. A necessary expenditure.

In the past, much of those excess materials making their way back as ballast was often discarded off-shore once the ship was back within calmer territorial waters. I don't think they can get away with that as freely as they used to, though. Selling as surplus is cheaper than recycling and causes less disruption in a supply chain designed for rate of production over costs.

IOW, reusing canisters having to be inspected, sorted, recertified for use and injected piecemeal into the production process causes an interruption in the rate of production. Costs be damned.

We can't very well ship foreign troop units into Yakima for training.
They are being trained in other places in the US. Read this:

In that post, I didn't limit the scope of this activity to Yakima, having said, "Or similar."

The Brits have also been training Ukrainian soldiers in the UK.

Unless I can find out otherwise, I disagree about retrograde shipment of common ammunition containers back from overseas. In contemporary times, most of that stuff is shipped on commercial maritime vessels under contract. One way. They don't have to worry about empty ships needing ballasting; when they get to the far side, they take on other commercial cargoes coming this way.

They are being trained in other places in the US. Read this:

In that post, I didn't limit the scope of this activity to Yakima, having said, "Or similar."

The Brits have also been training Ukrainian soldiers in the UK.
On highly specialized equipment that are in limited quantity with a limited number of operators being trained it may make more sense to train in the US.

I wasn't limiting it to Yakima either, or saying that zero training of any kind occurs on US soil. When we are shipping vast quantities of particular types of equipment that require large numbers of operators to be trained... and typically requires less specialized training.. it makes much more sense to do the training in friendly overseas countries closer to the area of conflict.

Just like we aren't going to ship 10's of 1000's of Ukrainins to the U.S. to teach them how to point and shoot a manpad or drop a mortar shell in a tube.

I also wasn't saying that the US doesn't use commercial ships. We are in fact using them, but we are also using US government owned ships simply due to the fact that some equipment requires special handling, stowing requirements (that commercial container ships are not suitable for), as well as loading/offloading expertise and specialized equipment to do so. There are also security concerns where non-military commercial merchants may not be suitable or cleared for.

It's not an "all or none" deal where we are exclusively using commercial transports OR exclusively government owned military assets. I would say though that it's a fairly safe bet that the US military ships being used for transport of military goods aren't simply picking up a load of TV's and smartphones to haul back to the US on their return voyage. :D

If the US military has backshipped 100's of 1000's of used tires as ballast from overseas theaters... what makes it so impossible to believe they might not use other "junk" for the same purpose?

As I said in the beginning, "it makes you wonder if...." :s0155:

Last Edited:
I was just in the local hardware store. They are selling some interesting army surplus.
See the picture. The short tubes are $19.95 and are about 2.5 ft long. The long tubes
are $29.95 and are about 3.5 ft long. Strap a couple of these to your SUV to
carry your fishing poles and have some "fun". No, not really, but an interesting thought.

View attachment 1905944

Parkrose Hardware
1855 Blankenship RD
West Linn
Just off 205 at the 10th st exit.
They are in the old Albertson's building
on the Northside of 205.
I was going to say that it looks like you're in my neighborhood.
I remember when the area where Parkrose Hardware is was a blackberry patch.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top