JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's all take a moment to remind ourselves that somewhere in America...maybe even here...there is a person...probably a dude...who has no clue that this is their last weekend with all ten fingers.

Let's be careful out there you filthy savages. And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

Murrica!

Let's all take a moment to remind ourselves that somewhere in America...maybe even here...there is a person...probably a dude...who has no clue that this is their last weekend with all ten fingers.

Let's be careful out there you filthy savages. And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

Murrica!

ZomboMeme(17).jpg

Murrica!
Definitely be alot of alcohol induced firework tragedies......mf bootleg fireworks!!!

There's a video out there of a guy in the Netherlands pre soccer match blowing off fingers after he lit a flare and started waving it around.

Let that be a stark reminder to be careful, and if you drink don't touch anything, just stay comatose in your chair.
:s0005:

Yup. Lot's of cabinet makers out there.
That's exactly what I thought this would be about.

Table Saw Injury Statistics

1. Over 30,000 table saw injuries per year.
2. Over 10 injuries per day resulting in amputation of fingers.

I think the table saw is more dangerous than a miter saw or circular saw because with the table saw you push the wood toward the blade, meaning your hand gets closer to the blade as you operate it. With the other two saws you push the blade towards the wood, meaning your hand remains the same length from the blade as you operate it.

With the table saw you can also suffer injury from kickback. I don't know if that's true of the other two saws. I'm not going into that here, not really pertinent to the OP about losing fingers.

I used to wear leather gloves in my wood shop for many tasks, and then I read you shouldn't wear gloves while operating a rotating blade. The reason is that if your gloved hand comes into contact with the blade, the blade might snag the glove (instead of merely nipping it), and then reel the glove (and your hand) into the blade faster than you can react. One minute you're cutting wood, the next second you see your fingers on the table, the next second you feel pain, the next second see a lot of blood.

Hasn't happened to me (yet), but for me it's kinda like shooting: I always divide up my thinking between 1) what I'm trying to accomplish and 2) also keeping aware of staying safe. Before I start cutting (or shooting) I double-check what I'm doing to consider what could go wrong.

Fiancé lost 3/4 of her index finger the first week of May. She's been recovering and we've talked to a few reconstructive surgeons and many folks at the hospitals we've been to over the last month and a half. She's now just accepted the fate of having a mangled finger
(due to cost and would be heal time if we had it worked on) what's always interesting is how the body can heal wounds so life can go on (so long as massive infections don't occur)

Fingers (and toes) can be here one day and gone the next. Certainly be mindful of hand placement when moving things.

There's a video out there of a guy in the Netherlands pre soccer match blowing off fingers after he lit a flare and started waving it around.

Let that be a stark reminder to be careful, and if you drink don't touch anything, just stay comatose in your chair.
:s0005:
How do you blow off fingers with a flare?

I think the table saw is more dangerous than a miter saw or circular saw because with the table saw you push the wood toward the blade, meaning your hand gets closer to the blade as you operate it. With the other two saws you push the blade towards the wood, meaning your hand remains the same length from the blade as you operate it.

With the table saw you can also suffer injury from kickback. I don't know if that's true of the other two saws. I'm not going into that here, not really pertinent to the OP about losing fingers.

I used to wear leather gloves in my wood shop for many tasks, and then I read you shouldn't wear gloves while operating a rotating blade. The reason is that if your gloved hand comes into contact with the blade, the blade might snag the glove (instead of merely nipping it), and then reel the glove (and your hand) into the blade faster than you can react. One minute you're cutting wood, the next second you see your fingers on the table, the next second you feel pain, the next second see a lot of blood.

Hasn't happened to me (yet), but for me it's kinda like shooting: I always divide up my thinking between 1) what I'm trying to accomplish and 2) also keeping aware of staying safe. Before I start cutting (or shooting) I double-check what I'm doing to consider what could go wrong.
Oof, I bumped one and mangled the tip of my thumb. Couldn't load an M1 for a hot minute, but everything is better. Didn't hit bone, I got lucky.
Fiancé lost 3/4 of her index finger the first week of May. She's been recovering and we've talked to a few reconstructive surgeons and many folks at the hospitals we've been to over the last month and a half. She's now just accepted the fate of having a mangled finger
(due to cost and would be heal time if we had it worked on) what's always interesting is how the body can heal wounds so life can go on (so long as massive infections don't occur)

Fingers (and toes) can be here one day and gone the next. Certainly be mindful of hand placement when moving things.
Sorry to hear. Best wishes on healing.

Stupid story! Got a call out for a rescue out of one of the big FOB's, the initial report was some sort of explosive had detonated in side the compound and they had one Cat 2, non life threatening, but serious enough for a medivac, so we spun up and took off! We land on scene and go find the patient who is sitting against a wall getting treated by one of the platoon medics and they are all kind of laughing and joking with each other, Dude holds up a bloody stump and half the guys puke their guts out. I ask what happened, and what the medic has done so far, and if the dude is ready for transport. Dude was trying to hammer some sort of fastener, using a LIVE .50 BMG cartridge, and he hits the primer, and BOOM, fingers and palm splattered all over the camp! Medic is trying to clamp a bleed, and dress the stump,, and package the dude for transport, but the dude will not sit still or shut up! I kneel and give him a big dose of Ketamine and a few CC's of some other stuff and he finally quiets down and lets us finish up and get him moving so we can try and save what's left of his hand! Long story short, he ended up having a full amputation at the wrist, the tissue damage was far to great to even attempt to save what remained, had he sat still and let the medic work, he might have kept a few fingers, but now he gets to play with a stainless hook, stupid, stupid, STUPID!

I live in a county with 6 active lumber mills. Half of the adult male population is missing at least one digit and a good 10% of the females are missing one as well. Fireworks got nothing on 6 foot saw blades and 10,000 miles of conveyer chains and things that spin faster than a tornado.

Happy Independence day in 7.

Good advice. That guy you refer to lives on the property east of me. His family has been in there four or maybe five years. There is quite a bit of forested property west of the road. On the east side of the road from this guy is a development with kinda crowded up homes. First 4th of July he gets here, he's out in the road firing off mortar rounds, those big ones that commercial fireworks operators set off at public displays. The fallout debris was raining down on dry trees, but worse, on the far side of the road, onto the roofs of homes over there. He's calmed down in subsequent years. I called the sheriff but I don't know if they came out. They are pretty thin on the ground, don't have time to look into small stuff like this. Authorities don't care until someone's house gets burned down or someone gets killed. Then they will be all over it.

Those fireworks mortar rounds, every once in a while one has a premature detonation. Pros set them off remotely. My neighbor wasn't doing that.

Also good information. I had a minor mishap with a table saw once, just the tip of one finger, didn't get to the bone. At the time, the ER doc told me that table saws comprise a very high percentage of at-home injuries reported to the CDC. I have a 1964 table saw, no guard, no splitter, Extreme caution is advised. However, one of my former co-workers had a newer one with both features, the blade hit a knot and blew up the plastic guard. Pieces of the guard traumatically amputated a thumb and part of his index finger. The blade never touched him.

I suppose that if my Grandpa Fritz had cut off a finger back on the farm, he woulda just wrapped a dirty snot-rag around it and kept working. When I had my little accident, I went to the ER because I could. The worst part, when they stuck a needle into the cut-off tip to anesthetize it for debridement. That was way more painful than the original cut.

My accident didn't come about because I was feeding into the blade. I was paused, moving something or other around, and carelessly grazed the turning blade with my finger.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top