JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
16) Two FR-8 Spanish Mauser carbines in .308. Gave one to a friend, forget what I did with the other one. IIRC, neither one fed correctly?
I had one of those that also never fed all that great, guy I sold it to (with full disclosure) discovered the ejector was installed backwards! I have read reports of others assembled the same but no idea were in the process it happened

I sold a bunch when I needed to pay a truck off. A Springfield 1943 garand with matching barrel and action. A 1917 Winchester 94 src spruce gun. A walther made 1941 p38 with holster, a luftwaffe browning 1910-22 with holster, a savage 1907, a colt 1903 pocket first model, a Winchester pump 22, a walther ppk, a commercial Luger and many more. I thought I'd replace them all but the problem is these guns are getting more and more valuable and I can't justify the replacement costs. Also the changing laws have hobbled the collectors at the gun shows where they were available for trade and purchase.

At this point I don't have any major seller's remorse... I did sell a civilian Luger, but it was in the oddball 7.62 calliber that's impossible to find ammo for... :(
My civilian Luger came with the original 30 Luger barrel and a 9mm barrel. The 9mm barrel was mounted when I bought it and I have never put the original 30 Luger barrel on. According to the seller it is just a matter of unscrewing one barrel and screwing the other barrel on.

The second hand gun I ever purchased was a Ruger P85. I swapped it (and 6 high capacity magazines) straight across for my Beretta 92 INOX which I still own (during Clintons national high capacity magazine ban).

I sold a MAK 90 to a good friend for cheap... eh, he is a good friend.

I sold a Remington 870 to another friend for cheap. I hated that shotgun ALMOST as much as it hated me!

35 years of collecting and those 3 are the only ones I can think of that I sold. No real remorse on any of them.

I sold a Remington 870 to another friend for cheap. I hated that shotgun ALMOST as much as it hated me!
Just curious. Why the hate for the Remington 870? I've got a couple. The 20-gauge youth model is my "go-to" for gophers in the yard, and I've killed quite a few grouse with it. The 12-gauge is just another pump action shotgun, but it certainly hasn't merited any hate from me.

I had one of those that also never fed all that great, guy I sold it to (with full disclosure) discovered the ejector was installed backwards! I have read reports of others assembled the same but no idea were in the process it happened
They were a handy little carbine, and I had ideas about making them a Scout rifle. IIRC I think I did with one, but then decided a cut down Ishapore Enfield would be better (which it was).

Just curious. Why the hate for the Remington 870? I've got a couple. The 20-gauge youth model is my "go-to" for gophers in the yard, and I've killed quite a few grouse with it. The 12-gauge is just another pump action shotgun, but it certainly hasn't merited any hate from me.
Oh - I knew I forgot something. I had a Wingmaster and I sold it too. It was okay, but I am not much of a shotgun person, and back then the most available models were the long barrel vent rib, and it just didn't fit in with the idea of home defense. I got that Mossberg bullpup instead.

I am REALLY bad with pump guns! I practiced, practiced and practiced but every time I try to get a second shot off at a duck or dove I always short stroke (pretty much any) pump action. Short stroking the 870 always ends up meaning I have to take the gun apart. I am a bit better with my fathers Ithica from the 50's... but not a whole lot better.

A semi-auto is MUCH more reliable in my hands!

Last Edited:
Dad, sold 1941 stamped Luger, needed funds for rent….
My dad brought home a few guns from the war, including a Luger, which he ended up trading off for a Smith & Wesson Model 10. He had been hired as a Deputy Sheriff and did not want to carry an unreliable (American 9mm wasn't the best, at the time, and caused frequent malfunctions) "Nazi" gun (bad optics, of course). He reasoned that he could pick up another Luger when he got the money, as war trophy Lugers were a dime a dozen back then. Sadly, he never did... he regretted having to trade off that Luger, but he was much happier with an American wheelgun in his holster (he eventually traded the Model 10 for a Model 28, which he later traded for a Model 19, which he later traded for a Model 66. He was more into guns as working tools and was not a collector).

For me it's the cross bolt safety. I borrowed my friend's 870 in 20ga and being a lefty, got confused at the wrong time and it cost me a big turkey. Otherwise good guns, just not made for me apparently.

Since everyone else is posting in this ancient thread....
One modern rifle I wish I didn't sell was a 1940 dated Savage 219 in .30 WCF.
Wonderful rifle...shot well...carried well...and had just enough wear on it , to show that was used and well maintained.

Sold it along time ago..and would love to have it ....or one like it back.
Been looking at the Henry Single Shot rifle in .30-30...that one , is almost a 219....
Cost of 30-30 ammo and the lack of it on the store shelf..has me holding back on a purchase.
Andy

200.gif

It would be a long list, but three that gnaw on me was a '60s FN Browning Safari Grade .458 Win Mag.
The quality of wood on it was something that today would be almost unobtainable.
The second was a Miriko/Browning Auto-5 Stalker in 3"mag.
The third was a Colt Sporter SP-1 with a set of M16 internals, switch the BC and push the safety into the "fun" position.
Sadly, all three long gone, but not forgotten.
I would add that the SP-1 is now worth ~10 times what I paid for it new.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top