JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, what did you get on the two occasions? Normally when someone offers to bring all the food it's because they want me to bring all the drinks, costs much more than food at times.

the first time they brought enough food, but 1 six pack of coke for 3 hunters, of course it was all gone before i got back to camp. the second time my partner brought 20 cans of kippered snacks. "they were on sale" no crackers or chips. 3 cans of soup for a 3 day hunt. the soup was "government commodity" canned goods. as luck would have it he was ready to go home after the first day, after shooting all his arrows trying to shoot grouse, didn't get a grouse. i had to get him to the nearest town so his girlfriend could pick him up. thats why i started hunting alone, too many bad hunting partners.

Another idea might be to split meal duty. IE., One does breakfast, another lunch, another supper... alternating. Or simply bring your own backups to share... just in case.

In our hunting party, camp cook is a title that has to be earned and appointed by the group. We eat very well and only the best of us is ever entrusted with the #1 key role in the camp. The last night of camp, receipts for all community commodities go into a pile, get tabulated and the costs split equally.

Our hunting party is well established though and everyone has their appointed jobs. IE., The youngest will be the fire bishes, in charge of garbage and dish duty. The cook never touches a dirty dish.

A hungry hunter is a motivated hunter.

If you are worried about it, watch a few episodes of naked and afraid, the one responsible for bringing the food never brings much :)

Get in full ketosis before you leave and you'll be fine.

we would take a rotating duty, if the hunt was 5 days and there were 5 hunters each of us was responsible for one breakfast and one supper, there were always leftovers or dogs for lunch. we usually ate breakfast after the morning hunt so lunch wasn't a big deal. pastries and coffee in the morning before the first hunt. That worked well for us for a long time.

If you're worried about money or food on a hunting trip, you've ruined a hunting trip. Having been employed by an outfitter, and more importantly being partially or fully responsible for the operation of a hunting camp in operation now for 56 years, some basics have been learned.

3 or 4 of us from the same generation now are intimately involved in the logistics of running that camp that can extend 30 days, with hunters coming and going, sometimes 12 hunters in camp at one time (with assorted kids and women that usually are also hunters).

Our method is a division of "arenas": Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks. These are not absolute, and some overlap occurs, but it generally prevents 4 bottles of Ketchup and 3 bags of Pancake Mix showing up, and somebody forgetting the salt. Each of us 4 accepts any and all cash donations from hunters not so involved in the logistics. No amounts are discussed, no expectations are voiced. If a hunter is not forthcoming, a passing joke about it might erupt and never fails to prompt the slacker. Never had to inform someone they were not invited for next year over this issue.

"I'm not feeding the whole camp!" might be the first reaction, but as to expense, this method worked just fine, even when I did not have a pot to piss in. Venison, potatoes and canned vegetables make for a dinner that costs practically nothing, and if I was the "Dinner Guy", that's pretty much what you could expect. (Far more elaborate now with more resources at my disposal). If the "Breakfast Guy" was as poor as myself, we might see Venison, Eggs and Pancakes (again, nearly cost free in that time frame.)

Keep in mind: YOUR food expense continues whether you are at home or chasing elk at 5000 feet. Participating in a huge grocery buy prior to the hunt gives a hunter the chance to buy the food HE likes, or is an expert at cooking. If you never learned to feed yourself, your Mom never loved you. In our camp, a hunter not so equipped is saddled with Capital Punishment: leading a life of miserable existence as the dishwasher. Most take an interest in the culinary arts at least at some level before the hunt is over. The cook (for that night) NEVER washes dishes.

A word here about women and children (always in our camp in some number). I will not tolerate any "taking for granted", or perceptions of "women's work", or "have the kids do it". If they are hunters, they deserve equal respect toward division of labor. Kids like having a singular task that they alone are responsible for, can be proud of, and is a significant contribution to camp. Be careful though. We appointed an eight-year-old as Garbage Man. His first responsibility (along with a measure of authority regarding policing of litter) turned him into a Garbage Nazi, but we had a clean camp.

For a group less familiar with each other (which is most often a recipe for disagreement about SOMETHING), I was told of a method that I find quite clever. (This is for a hunt where all hunters travel together and return together.):

Appoint a "Banker". At the start of the trip, each hunter hands him a hundred bucks. He pays for ANY group expense (restaurant meals, groceries, additional groceries, etc.). He advises when the account approaches depletion, and it gets another hundred bucks from everyone.

Again: YOU are ultimately responsible for feeding yourself. If that is not happening only one person is to blame. If you can't organize a method to share this task with your hunting partners, how can you organize where or how you are going to hunt with each other?

Hunting alone is fine, and the best choice SOMETIMES. Hunting with attentive and resourceful partners magnifies the experience and success for everyone.

Hunting with penny-pinching, miserly hand-wringing idiots that need a Mama to hand 'em their bottle ruins the entire trip. :cool:

Last Edited:
I once worked 67 hours before my hunting trip and my hunting partner at the time was "between opportunities". He says he'll pack everything of mine if I bring it, so we can leave ASAP. I made a checklist for kitchen gear and he said EVERYTHING was on it. When we get there he then finds that "WE" forgot cooking pans. "WE" had a griddle and that was it. The we part that was unemployed with plenty of time on his hands, forgot cookware, but I didn't double check the list. Yes, go shopping with him or buy more food on your own. Never heard of TOO MUCH FOOD, but you've experienced too little food or something averse.

I hope you pick your spouse better than hunting partners.
Good partners can make a hunt, bad ones ruin it. I've been fortunate to have two good hunting partners over the years, but I mostly hunt solo.
Solo, I'm trekking in on foot and making camp. I pack light, eat very light meals and hunt hungry.
I tend to lose 10-15 lbs during hunting season.

my hunting partner/partners said i'll bring all the food, what did we get? on 2 occasions this did not go well. any thoughts on this.
I'm pretty sure you knew the answer to the question before the test started.

Tell your buddy you are buying your own meals and will not be donating to the group buy.

Everyone has different caloric needs and while some are ok with Spam, others would prefer jerky etc.

I've never had someone bring the food but that is also because of my dietary issues and restrictions.

I once worked 67 hours before my hunting trip and my hunting partner at the time was "between opportunities". He says he'll pack everything of mine if I bring it, so we can leave ASAP. I made a checklist for kitchen gear and he said EVERYTHING was on it. When we get there he then finds that "WE" forgot cooking pans. "WE" had a griddle and that was it. The we part that was unemployed with plenty of time on his hands, forgot cookware, but I didn't double check the list. Yes, go shopping with him or buy more food on your own. Never heard of TOO MUCH FOOD, but you've experienced too little food or something averse.
Lists.

Mine is the product of those 56 years plus taking pack trains into the Bob. Originally hand-written, now on the 'puter. More valuable than reminding me what I need to take, it also is supplied to others so that they can see what I'm bringing. 6 pages. Not everything is taken for every trip, but everything taken is checked off TWICE: once when staged, again when in the rig.

Each year something is added. Sometimes items are removed.

One guy whined over his coffee one morning that his wife had not packed any socks for him. (She probably makes the phone call to his job when he's sick too.)

The resulting laughter, and a respectable pile of our "slightly used" socks accumulating outside his tent (and a kid offering Spider Man socks) prevented such from happening again. Just like anything else, such is YOUR responsibility.

I'm pretty sure you knew the answer to the question before the test started.

Tell your buddy you are buying your own meals and will not be donating to the group buy.

Everyone has different caloric needs and while some are ok with Spam, others would prefer jerky etc.

I've never had someone bring the food but that is also because of my dietary issues and restrictions.
This makes perfect sense toward your dietary situation. A close partner has Chron's, and such independence is necessary TO SOME DEGREE for him.

It makes absolutely NO sense in a group camp otherwise. Division of (cooking and other) labor and food resources in camp REDUCES expense, work, effort, preparation, equipment, time spent, etc., etc., etc. for every single hunter.

Each hunter running off to his own tent to use his own stove, own pans, own utensils, own food, own drink, own dish soap is not only inefficient, it is stupid.

Don't hunt with people that are stupid.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top