JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
200.gif
200.gif

7mm mag is a shoulder thumping trigger flinching over kill for most folks, in my opine. The 30-06 is maximum needed and a great caliber with lots of rifle and bullet choices to find available. Personally, I took more than my share with a .270 and a long time hunting buddy with a beautiful sporterized 303 British. Several in my family are deadly with their 6.5 x 55, and since I'm now old, have joined their ranks. This only proving that Elk Are not Rhinos and (to a point) its the man more than the gun that'll bring home the steaks.
Good luck on your adventure and welcome to the flock.
Have killed a number of deer with the 7mm (when I was between .270's). Significantly more recoil, and very little power gain. A .270 is my working, business rifle "big gun" now for about 50 years. (I have larger calibers, but "specialty" guns: .45-70 custom Siamese Mauser, .350 Rem). For the occasional work they get assigned, the power is welcomed and the recoil tolerated.

But from the .270, a 6 Point Bob Marshall Bull did a chin plant in powdered snow when shot through both shoulders from 175 yards at a dead run.

A book-grade Caribou Bull quit his mile-eating migration dog-trot when shot through both lungs, and just tipped over (right next to my friend's bigger bull aced with a good ol' .30-06)

...and a Dall Ram at 375 yards got one at the base of the neck and another in the shoulder, just because you don't let those guys get back up. :cool:

I really, really hate sayin' it, but the .30-06 is the better, more sensible choice against a 7mm Rem.

Thanks Andy. We have some scouting trips planned and this on the agenda. Shooting in a controlled environment is always a great confidence builder but boy is it different when your heart is pounding out of your chest, wearing all of your gear, and trying not to make a sound. For me it's remembering to breath. lol
"Shooting with all of your gear" is a consideration that is quite often overlooked, and something I failed to take in to account when I ordered the Boyds stock for my Ruger. I have lanky arms and like a longer length of pull than normal, but with all of my gear on and shooting from a treestand, it's almost too long. Being in a treestand, shooting "downhill" seems to make a long LOP even longer. My Winchester 70 in 257 Roberts has been chopped up and is a bit short from the bench, but perfect from the treestand.

"Shooting with all of your gear" is a consideration that is quite often overlooked, and something I failed to take in to account when I ordered the Boyds stock for my Ruger. I have lanky arms and like a longer length of pull than normal, but with all of my gear on and shooting from a treestand, it's almost too long. Being in a treestand, shooting "downhill" seems to make a long LOP even longer. My Winchester 70 in 257 Roberts has been chopped up and is a bit short from the bench, but perfect from the treestand.
A general observation (NOT mine) some time ago that I read, gave a general rule of thumb regarding Length of Pull as it applies to the average hunter that has not altered (or paid any attention whatsoever to) it with his hunting guns (read: just about everybody).

Almost without exception, when examined and fitted properly, his original LOP for his hunting rifle would be too long.

...and also as reliably, his shotgun would be too short. :cool:

Selling a southpaw rifle can be mixed. I have gotten some fairly cheap due to a combination of being an odd caliber in combination with being left handed. I've pretty much purchased these cause I can be a hoarder. To sell a rifle I would just post it up for sale in the classifieds here and just message a ffl ahead of time to see if they do private transfers and just have the buyer pay you cash and move on. Alot of guys here are recommending a 30-06. A very good pick, a commonly available and well rounded cartridge. Or Alternatively have 10 kids one is bound to turn out left handed and you can keep the 7mm.

Last Edited:
Selling a southpaw rifle can be mixed. I have gotten some fairly cheap due to a combination of being an odd caliber in combination with being left handed.
I bought a scoped leftie Savage 110 in '06 that had a really rough stock about 10 years ago for $200. After a new buttpad and a few hours of work it came out really nice. My youngest nephew received it as a high school graduation present. He's bought a couple of other guns since then, but not any more hunting rifles. He's completely satisfied with that Savage.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top