JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I dropped off a simple project here months ago. Tried to email them, called them and sent a letter to find out the status of the project and never had a response. The project is outstanding by two months for a rear sight replacement on a revolver. Is this typical with them?

I broke the bolt handle off a mauser 98 and left it with them for six months - never heard anything from them so I stopped by and they had not even touched it. As I remember the price was high in comparison to what I thought the going price was but I wanted a handle welded back onto the bolt. They indicated that it wasnt worth thier time even at the absorbinate rate. Up to that point in time I had purchased several rifles from them. I will never do business with them again - to me they fit in the same category as the Gun Room on Foster. Never again.

Did you do your due diligence before dropping the gun off? Way too many negative reviews to ignore. You can send them a registered letter with return receipt letting them know that they have 5 working days to respond or you'll file a stolen gun report with the Sheriff. Since you're in PDX why don't you head over to the shop and confront them in person but bring a buddy as a witness...

You're not alone, here's a typical review from BirdsEye.

After my grandfathers passing all I had left was his shotgun and it's the only real thing he left me. I took it in to be fixed over 3 years ago I call and give them the ticket number every couple of months just to be given the same answer we will call you back here in just a few with more information FOR 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!I told them do not go over 250 bucks in parts or labor to fix it because I don't if I'll have the money to cover it if it's over that just to be safe and now I am worried to call or go in because I feel like the bills been just added up to a crazy amount even though I asked them not to.

I dropped off a simple project here months ago. Tried to email them, called them and sent a letter to find out the status of the project and never had a response. The project is outstanding by two months for a rear sight replacement on a revolver. Is this typical with them?
They've always done good work, but they take so darn long I've quit using them.

When we FIRST got into guns in 2010 the first three places we went were: The Gun Room, Gun Broker (SE 82nd Dr.) and Allyson Cary. The Gun Room, LOL. Gun Broker, good place! Allyson Carry? They sure didn't act like they wanted to sell a gun. We're not punk lookin' kids. They were going to show us a gun but not the mag? The both of them were giving us the hairy eye-ball. Never went to the two of them that treated us like criminal's again. Sorry you're getting hosed by dick's

To others this is a PRIME example of checking FIRST. How often do we see someone who jumps into something, then when its not going well asks. Only then to find out a lot of people would have warned them off.
And if you're dealing with a unknown get a receipt for the gun with your instructions and the cost, any repairs other than what you authorized requires them to call you for approval. Verbal means nothing, get it all in writing.

I took in a rossi copy of a .22 gallery rifle for a firing pin replacement, I supplied the part. Time taken and cost were both ok but the rifle didn't lock up properly when I got it back. (Caught it before I left their shop) I brought it to their attention and they said that's how those rifles work. I said that isn't how it worked when I brought it in. Long story short I will never go back.

Jeepers, I had forgotten about them until seeing this thread.
First went there in the '70s, second time in the '90s, third time about 17>18 years ago.
They had their three times at bat, struck out every time, inning over.
I won't go back.

My first experience with them was in the early 90's. They replaced a firing pin on a Winchester shotgun. Price was a little high, but turnaround time and workmanship was fine. I've had a number of repairs done by them with no problems. Earlier this month I took a shotgun to them for a small issue that I didn't want to attempt to repair myself. Dropped it off on a Friday and picked it up the next Wednesday. All fine and dandy!

I used them for years, generally favorable return time. They are closed a couple days during the week now to catch up, I guess. Jeff the owner is ok, Brain is a very personable guy and Jake the young gunsmith is the best I've encountered. I understand Jake is leaving to start his own business in Lexington, OR after the first of the year, horrible loss for this firm (IMHO).

I am sorry to hear they struggle with schedules.

I go way back with Brian, via Allied Sav-Mor, Maury's Gun Rack, and Brian's Sporting Goods. I also go way back with Allison and Carey, before Brian joined them.

It's been a long time since I used Brian for gunsmithing services, but I trust his work.

One gunsmith that is often overlooked is Don at Shooter's Service in St. Johns. Allison and Carey is closer to me but I had a S&W that my wife could not pull the trigger on double action. Allison and Carey declined to work on it, so I took it to Don and he did a great job. He's also the most personable gunsmith around, on par with Jake at Allison and Carey.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top