JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hrmm...will be interested to see where this goes

..."Russia sparked strong criticism from the U.S. and other Western countries in 2021 when it struck one of its defunct satellites in orbit with a ground-based anti-satellite (ASAT) missile launched from its Plesetsk rocket site. The blast, testing a weapon system ahead of Moscow's 2022 invasion of Ukraine, created thousands of pieces of orbital debris.

In the roughly 88-minute window of RESURS-P1's initial break-up, the Plesetsk site was one of many locations on Earth it passed over, but there was no immediate indication from airspace or maritime alerts that Russia had launched a missile to strike the satellite, space-tracker and Harvard astronomer Jonathan McDowell said.
"I find it hard to believe they would use such a big satellite as an ASAT target," McDowell said. "But, with the Russians these days, who knows."...

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...ace-forces-iss-astronauts-shelter-2024-06-27/

Oh great. First Boeing and NASA decide to send the dysfunctional starliner to the ISS, stranding our astronauts, and then we find out about additional debris causing problems. They can use starliner as a shelter, but not as a spacecraft to return to earth. How freaking embarrassing for the U.S.!

Probably something that Musk worries about. Would be rough on his Starlink investment.
To be real, probably something we should all worry about, though it's more likely it'll be China, not Russia taking out our nine- thousand-something low Earth orbiting satellites. In conjunction with losing all our satellites China will probably launch an all-out cyberattack simultaneously.

Frankly, I would not mind losing cell phone service, wi-fi, DirecTV (I'd miss my SiriusXM radio, though), but we'd lose military communications capabilities, much of the N. American power grid, the internet...Kessler Effect is real and I've read estimates that it'd take more than 20 years to get our satellite networks up again (due to a massive debris field in low orbit). China's satellites are mostly mid and high Earth orbit, so Taiwan and whatever other countries in SE Asia China wants would be easy pickings,

But not to worry; the men, women (and trans/non-binary) intrepid warriors of the U.S. Space Force are on it...

To be real, probably something we should all worry about, though it's more likely it'll be China, not Russia taking out our nine- thousand-something low Earth orbiting satellites. In conjunction with losing all our satellites China will probably launch an all-out cyberattack simultaneously.

Frankly, I would not mind losing cell phone service, wi-fi, DirecTV (I'd miss my SiriusXM radio, though), but we'd lose military communications capabilities, much of the N. American power grid, the internet...Kessler Effect is real and I've read estimates that it'd take more than 20 years to get our satellite networks up again (due to a massive debris field in low orbit). China's satellites are mostly mid and high Earth orbit, so Taiwan and whatever other countries in SE Asia China wants would be easy pickings,

But not to worry; the men, women (and trans/non-binary) intrepid warriors of the U.S. Space Force are on it...
China's missiles are made in China, so I'm not that worried. Just hope ours aren't made by Boeing.

China's missiles are made in China, so I'm not that worried.
Well, there's that... a lot of their so-called "ICBMs" do seem to land in the Sea of Japan... but they only need to get lucky once (and the Washington military bases are primary targets).
Just hope ours aren't made by Boeing.
Fair point. Note to self: brush up on current offerings by Raytheon Technologies Corp. We're probably good here, the rest of our stuff is from General Dynamics, Lockheed/Martin and Northrup-Grumman.

Boeing is still a major defense contractor, but I don't know what the military is buying from them anymore... (I cringe inside thinking of all the overseas trips I took on C-17s, but apparently it is the rare Boeing airplane that doesn't have $h1t falling off from it in midair or random fires) ....

Well, there's that... a lot of their so-called "ICBMs" do seem to land in the Sea of Japan... but they only need to get lucky once (and the Washington military bases are primary targets).

Fair point. Note to self: brush up on current offerings by Raytheon Technologies Corp. We're probably good here, the rest of our stuff is from General Dynamics, Lockheed/Martin and Northrup-Grumman.

Boeing is still a major defense contractor, but I don't know what the military is buying from them anymore... (I cringe inside thinking of all the overseas trips I took on C-17s, but apparently it is the rare Boeing airplane that doesn't have $h1t falling off from it in midair or random fires) ....
Don't know about military but Boeing is contributing to a lot of space craft at the moment. Including a space craft that is failing right now

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top