JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only three times I've had my hand held while taking fingerprints:

Oregon CHL
Washington CHL
Utah CHL

It is nearly impossible for any individual other than myself to hold my hand and get a print. My arms and shoulders don't rotate well enough for a Heath/Swayzie Hold.

Hopefully the people who have issues with someone taking their fingerprints never get arrested. The sheriffs will take your fingerprints and they wont ask advice on how they should do it.

Sounds pretty romantic to me. . . . . .:rolleyes:

Seriously, I've been fingerprinted a number of times by law enforcement (both male and female) for security clearances, background checks, carry permits, real estate and insurance licenses and most recently for an ATF tax stamp. Each time they took my little hand and rolled my fingers on the card for me.
Being a flaming heterosexual, I didn't think anything of it. It's simply the way they have to do it to get good copy.

Also as you age, your fingerprints lose definition which makes it harder to get good prints so they have to control your hand in order to get good results. Being an old fart, I've had print cards rejected by DPS in the past and have had to submit new cards.

Alright, so, I attempted to do an FFL transfer tonight and encountered, for the first time, a dealer who insisted on printing my fingers for me and I thought this was quite weird. He got next to me, took hold of my entire hand, insisting it was law to do it this way and guided through the motions... I have been at this a long time now and have never worked with a dealer who didn't just hand me the ink and have have me do my own prints. When I asked them if they could reference a law code stating these regulations, they were unable to do so, gave me attitude and spoke to me like I'm an idiot for questioning them. When I told the lady that I try to stay educated on this sort of thing, her response was "Well, now you've been educated," with quite a bit of snark and tried telling me her word was the word of the ATF. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't find anything specifying the dealer must print your fingers for you while holding on to your hand. I'd appreciate it if someone could help shed some light on this.

To top it off, I didn't even get to take my pistols home yet... They bubblegummed around for long enough that they were closing and we were still waiting on my background check to clear, so they kicked me out and told me I had to come back another day. This was all after a call to the store earlier in the day, where they confirmed my arrival time would be sufficient, yet they decided they didn't want to stick around to finish the transaction. They also failed to give back my drivers license(partially my fault for not noticing until after the fact)... Hands down, some of the worst customer service I have experienced and I still have to make another trip there to pick up my firearms... Terrible!! :s0054:

First time that I have heard of a dealer doing it.
Sheriff's Offices will hold your hand when printing for CHL.
I have been holding hands and printing them as business, for 21 years. Including my police service...about 44 years.

Alright, so, I attempted to do an FFL transfer tonight and encountered, for the first time, a dealer who insisted on printing my fingers for me and I thought this was quite weird. He got next to me, took hold of my entire hand, insisting it was law to do it this way and guided through the motions... I have been at this a long time now and have never worked with a dealer who didn't just hand me the ink and have have me do my own prints. When I asked them if they could reference a law code stating these regulations, they were unable to do so, gave me attitude and spoke to me like I'm an idiot for questioning them. When I told the lady that I try to stay educated on this sort of thing, her response was "Well, now you've been educated," with quite a bit of snark and tried telling me her word was the word of the ATF. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't find anything specifying the dealer must print your fingers for you while holding on to your hand. I'd appreciate it if someone could help shed some light on this.

To top it off, I didn't even get to take my pistols home yet... They bubblegummed around for long enough that they were closing and we were still waiting on my background check to clear, so they kicked me out and told me I had to come back another day. This was all after a call to the store earlier in the day, where they confirmed my arrival time would be sufficient, yet they decided they didn't want to stick around to finish the transaction. They also failed to give back my drivers license(partially my fault for not noticing until after the fact)... Hands down, some of the worst customer service I have experienced and I still have to make another trip there to pick up my firearms... Terrible!! :s0054:
I would report them to BBB and the local PD. Obtain does not give them the right to take control of your hand without your permission. They are probably selling your prints and possibly your ID to some cartel coyotes to traffic people accross the border: or who the hell knows. It's suspicious, and I don't believe in coincidence..

As soon as I started reading the thread I was thinking I better tell them about "Tigard Pawn 4 More".... Funny, but not surprising that it was them as a couple months back I bought a pistol from a member who wanted to meet there as he liked the $25 transfer fee (we went halves) & it was close to my work.
My question to BM Redbeard is: did she just roll your right & left thumb or ink your whole hand as stated? The gray haired grump from TP4M did grab my hands and rolled my thumbs only last time!
FFLS are only required to obtain thumb prints as already shared, but what isn't shared is how many tranferees roll their thumb and then roll back over it, therefore causing unreadable or smudged prints.
If she who is be-ah-chy explained that to you, as she did me, I guess the post wouldn't be here tonight eh?
Good luck and thanx to everyone who chimed in!!!

The fingerprints are not run thru any verification process. They are just record keeping - until such time as they are needed - later. No one, in the current process, verifies that the fingerprints belong to who the buyer says he/she is. The FFL does not submit the prints to anybody or anything, just keeps them in their records.

So no - at this point, the prints do not serve as 'positive identification'. It would take a LOT longer for the prints to serve that purpose during the current process; they would need some method of sending them in and then having the state verify them. It would also be expensive.

So why do it? What possible purpose can the fingerprints serve if they are not used for verification now?

Well, one possible purpose comes to mind; when (not if - when) confiscation begins, there will be court cases. Some defendants will try to say "someone stole my identity" (your forged documents) - a plausible defense in this day and age. The state will say "we have your fingerprints" and blow that defense out of the water.
It is any step that the anti-gun movement can get. It doesn't have to save lives. In fact that can be counter-productive. If crime goes down they have to work that much harder to press their agenda.

Well, I'm not sure you should expect to take home anything when the paperwork isnt finished. How long would you expect someone to stay after hours on a delayed background.? You just sound fussy and impatient.

Well, I'm not sure you should expect to take home anything when the paperwork isnt finished. How long would you expect someone to stay after hours on a delayed background.? You just sound fussy and impatient.
Well, maybe you have problems with reading comprehension... I clearly stated in my post that they confirmed my arrival time would be sufficient after a call ahead. In my mind, it is bad business to tell a customer to come on down and then not stick around to finish the transaction.

Well, maybe you have problems with reading comprehension... I clearly stated in my post that they confirmed my arrival time would be sufficient after a call ahead. In my mind, it is bad business to tell a customer to come on down and then not stick around to finish the transaction.
The dealer does NOT control the background wait times.

The dealer does NOT control the background wait times.

Well, well, that's just not acceptable... :mad:

Sorry guys this just reminds me of the time a mommy that had had her sons rifle bore sighted by my LGS came back to complain that her son missed a deer and it was his (the dealer) fault because he must have done a bad job.:rolleyes: She confirmed he had not checked it at the range before going hunting.o_O

If you don't like a store quit going there.

Now on to a subject worthy of attention. Why do all the pizza restaurants now buy the same pizza balls (premade dough) from the same suppliers. Seems like wherever you go anymore the pizza crust tastes the same, yuck. I have had a friend that works for Sysco confirm supplying many of the restaurants that taste the same to me purchase dough balls from them...:(

Well, well, that's just not acceptable... :mad:

Sorry guys this just reminds me of the time a mommy that had had her sons rifle bore sighted by my LGS came back to complain that her son missed a deer and it was his (the dealer) fault because he must have done a bad job.:rolleyes: She confirmed he had not checked it at the range before going hunting.o_O

If you don't like a store quit going there.

Now on to a subject worthy of attention. Why do all the pizza restaurants now buy the same pizza balls (premade dough) from the same suppliers. Seems like wherever you go anymore the pizza crust tastes the same, yuck. I have had a friend that works for Sysco confirm supplying many of the restaurants that taste the same to me purchase dough balls from them...:(
This was definitely the first and last time I will be doing business there.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top