JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had prints taken dozens of times for security clearances. They almost always stand behind and to the side of you when they roll your prints. Sometimes they were security people but most of the time it was clerical staff. Seems the bank had you put a thumb print on some checks at one time and I sure would have remembered a good looking teller coming around to massage me while doing it.

My perspective has almost nothing to do with fingerprints.

It has to do with 'my way or the highway' over the top, bullying type business people.

Unless there's a 'single source' business that one can't avoid doing business with, I won't tolerate being bullied when I can go elsewhere...

I've experienced such a few times and I always laughed at their poor business acumen - then went elsewhere.

My money - my choice.

As LEO (last century), I fingerprinted dozens of people (old-school with ink on paper). Pretty much the only way to get good, crisp prints without wasting cards and starting over was to take the subject's hand and firmly guide each digit through a proper inking and roll across the appropriate block on the paper. That's the way I was trained, so I just did it.

It's especially fun with combative drunks, and only slightly awkward (coordination-wise) with cooperative sober players. The squirmiest subjects were those who'd taken prints from others before. They wanted to control the motions. I simply asked them to look the other way, sort of like I do getting blood draws or sutures.

I got printed for some kind of permit at a place in SE Portland once, by an adorable blond Ukrainian gal in a tight sweater dress - and built like a burlap bag full of bobcats. Poor thing wasn't very proficient and it took her 4 cards to get it right. No problem... take your time.

More recently, I collected some prints electronically for an agency that does background investigations on all employees. It's sooo much easier now with optical readers and computers. I wish we had that stuff when I was a cop.

Last Edited:
Alright, so, I attempted to do an FFL transfer tonight and encountered, for the first time, a dealer who insisted on printing my fingers for me and I thought this was quite weird. He got next to me, took hold of my entire hand, insisting it was law to do it this way and guided through the motions... I have been at this a long time now and have never worked with a dealer who didn't just hand me the ink and have have me do my own prints. When I asked them if they could reference a law code stating these regulations, they were unable to do so, gave me attitude and spoke to me like I'm an idiot for questioning them. When I told the lady that I try to stay educated on this sort of thing, her response was "Well, now you've been educated," with quite a bit of snark and tried telling me her word was the word of the ATF. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't find anything specifying the dealer must print your fingers for you while holding on to your hand. I'd appreciate it if someone could help shed some light on this.

To top it off, I didn't even get to take my pistols home yet... They bubblegummed around for long enough that they were closing and we were still waiting on my background check to clear, so they kicked me out and told me I had to come back another day. This was all after a call to the store earlier in the day, where they confirmed my arrival time would be sufficient, yet they decided they didn't want to stick around to finish the transaction. They also failed to give back my drivers license(partially my fault for not noticing until after the fact)... Hands down, some of the worst customer service I have experienced and I still have to make another trip there to pick up my firearms... Terrible!! :s0054:
Wait what you have to do finger prints to do a transfer.
What

Did you hear that @AndyinEverson .
Next if we have to do a transfer in Oregon.
We have to hold hands.
Lol .
Oh I get it now lol HEHEH .
When I transferred a gun to Andy I just had to fill out paper and he did a Background check.
But we just looked at guns when waiting for back ground check.
Lol no finger prints.

Germ phobe? Some people do take it to another level these days. You know, wipe down sanitizers at the grocery carts, bottles of hand sanitizers in Uber rides etc etc... Don't see the problem with someone holding my hand to press my fingers on a little black pad..
Now for the numbskull who mentioned "oh just tell them they have TB now as your walking out the door" and "that'll teach them" is asking to have a nice police man show up on your doorstep to cuff ya and stuff ya.. it's pretty much the same as having sex with a girl and she got the hiv but she don't tell ya about it. Prosecutable offense, if you have TB or not..

I got fingerprinted recently, the young man held my hands and rolled my prints into the scanner. He wore rubber gloves and made polite conversation, it really wasn't a big deal. After it was done, we just laid there, staring at the ceiling and shared a cigarette.

Didn't read 'em all.....

I though that was a little weird when I used the service the first time. I never thought of complaining on the web though. Kind of a snowflake move, IMO. Anyway, doesn't change the fact that it's kind of a power trip move having to hold an experience gun buyers hand to get a print. When I did it the pad was dry as hell, and said so. The gal denied it. I've been there several times since and never had the gal, and haven't had my hand held again.

I got fingerprinted recently, the young man held my hands and rolled my prints into the scanner. He wore rubber gloves and made polite conversation, it really wasn't a big deal. After it was done, we just laid there, staring at the ceiling and shared a cigarette.

Damn, didn't read this 'till I posted the above. 'Bout spit coffee and blue berry muffin ALL over the desk and keyboard.

Sounds romantic. Did you get to meet the parents yet? o_O:D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads