JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They have long tried to scrub the info but some high up in the service did tests like that at one time. Started with animals and then went to using dead (I hope) bodies.
Convicted pedophiles should be tested on live. Ballistics, experimental drugs, new surgical procedures, you name it. Diddle a kid and you get to change the way you contribute to society. A lot of knowledge to be gained.

They have long tried to scrub the info but some high up in the service did tests like that at one time. Started with animals and then went to using dead (I hope) bodies.
Pig bodies are still used to validate gel testing. They usually drag them out when there is some new bullet paradigm that they are unsure the gel will respond realistically to. I think the last time I heard the FBI getting pigs was for those resin/metal powder frangible rounds. The protocol as I heard it was to ship in live pigs, kill them in a humane way then hang and shoot them within minutes before death effects have a chance to kick in, then move them to a table for an immediate autopsy. Once they have the wound channel data for that bullet type they can normalize that with the gel performance and test new variations with a high degree of confidence in real world performance.

I bet this happens a lot more than they care to admit behind closed doors though, as there are still a lot of unknowns and new theories when it comes to terminal performance predictions. I have no idea if the pigs get butchered after the fact. Seems like it would be a waste of meat if not one eats them. Maybe that is just a perk of working in the pig testing department?

While it is a funny discussion, I doubt very much that bodies acquired from the morgue would be worth much for ballistic testing. All the tissue has long since progressed in the mortification process, with fleshy bits going ridged and starting to decay and fluids pooling everywhere and I don't even know what bones do. Unrepaired micro fractures probably? You would need to get the body ASAP for it to be worth much. I bet that process would be funny as hell.

Doctor; ". . . and patient is dead. Record time of death at <checks watch> 10:53."

<family starts mourning>

FBI Lab Dude; "Clear!" BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! "Doctor, get this man to the autopsy table stat!"

<family, with ears ringing, sits in stunned silence with the dawning realization of what the "donate body to science" checkbox actually means>

Pig bodies are still used to validate gel testing. They usually drag them out when there is some new bullet paradigm that they are unsure the gel will respond realistically to. I think the last time I heard the FBI getting pigs was for those resin/metal powder frangible rounds. The protocol as I heard it was to ship in live pigs, kill them in a humane way then hang and shoot them within minutes before death effects have a chance to kick in, then move them to a table for an immediate autopsy. Once they have the wound channel data for that bullet type they can normalize that with the gel performance and test new variations with a high degree of confidence in real world performance.

I bet this happens a lot more than they care to admit behind closed doors though, as there are still a lot of unknowns and new theories when it comes to terminal performance predictions. I have no idea if the pigs get butchered after the fact. Seems like it would be a waste of meat if not one eats them. Maybe that is just a perk of working in the pig testing department?

While it is a funny discussion, I doubt very much that bodies acquired from the morgue would be worth much for ballistic testing. All the tissue has long since progressed in the mortification process, with fleshy bits going ridged and starting to decay and fluids pooling everywhere and I don't even know what bones do. Unrepaired micro fractures probably? You would need to get the body ASAP for it to be worth much. I bet that process would be funny as hell.

Doctor; ". . . and patient is dead. Record time of death at <checks watch> 10:53."

<family starts mourning>

FBI Lab Dude; "Clear!" BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! "Doctor, get this man to the autopsy table stat!"

<family, with ears ringing, sits in stunned silence with the dawning realization of what the "donate body to science" checkbox actually means>
There are body farms in the US where they place cadavers in mock crime scenes (stuff like tying them to trees) to study. I think the university of TN is one place.

Some pretty grim bubblegum.

There are body farms in the US where they place cadavers in mock crime scenes (stuff like tying them to trees) to study. I think the university of TN is one place.

Yes, University of TN.

<family starts mourning>

At some point in the future, there will be human clones.

After that point, science may be able to clone a human without a brain.

Whether those are used for ballistics testing or not, I would not try to guess *shrug*

However, at that point, ballistics testing may be a moot point as weapons may have progressed to a point where projectile weapons are more or less obsolete. Also, humans may be augmented with stronger bodies, including embedded armor. And/or, robots may take over military engagements.

Yeah, those are to test decomposition in various environments. They do all kinds of stuff to the bodies, put them into sacks, pools of stagnant water, shallow graves and into cars. Its pretty fascinating. I think the only thing they do not do is mutilate the bodies? I don't think they cut them up into pieces for example. Something about respect for the dead and not wanting to traumatize the family should they find out. The families have the option to intern the remains after the testing is done (two years I think?) or leave them in situ for longer term testing. There is lots of info on it online, look up "the Body Farm" for lots of shows and articles on it.

Mike Rowe did an episode of Dirty Jobs on the subject, but the institution he went to used pig carcasses as those are a bit less sensitive to people while getting really close results. I don't think anyone other than the usual wackos would object to a pig being quartered or fed through a wood chipper. (not that I know for sure they ever fed a pig through a wood chipper, but it seems like the kind of thing you would want to test, just to be sure)

Cremation for me - not original but efficient and doesn't take up land.

Spread my ashes in the ocean and the mountains.

Visit me or see me from afar and hopefully I will leave this earth having done enough good that a few people will remember me and think of me on occasion.

I only have one child so there shouldn't be any fighting about anything.

Yeah, those are to test decomposition in various environments. They do all kinds of stuff to the bodies, put them into sacks, pools of stagnant water, shallow graves and into cars. Its pretty fascinating. I think the only thing they do not do is mutilate the bodies? I don't think they cut them up into pieces for example. Something about respect for the dead and not wanting to traumatize the family should they find out. The families have the option to intern the remains after the testing is done (two years I think?) or leave them in situ for longer term testing. There is lots of info on it online, look up "the Body Farm" for lots of shows and articles on it.

Mike Rowe did an episode of Dirty Jobs on the subject, but the institution he went to used pig carcasses as those are a bit less sensitive to people while getting really close results. I don't think anyone other than the usual wackos would object to a pig being quartered or fed through a wood chipper. (not that I know for sure they ever fed a pig through a wood chipper, but it seems like the kind of thing you would want to test, just to be sure)
It may sound macabre and I certainly wouldn't want to be a technician at The Body Farm, but it's important research for sure. All of that data is ultimately used to help solve crimes.

Science: it's the only game in town.

FWIW - I have some close relatives (parents, grandparents, uncle), buried close by (at the base of the mountain, less than 5 miles away). I pass by this cemetery frequently as it is on my way into Beaverton/etc., and it is easy to visit if I want to.

I rarely do visit it - last time I visited was during my uncle's funeral. My deceased family members are not there. Their bodies are buried there (or will be in the case of my older brother & his wife), but they are not there.

I don't know where they are - I believe they simply do not exist anymore, at least not outside of the memories of those still alive. I have places, photos, etc. - most importantly memories to "visit" - their grave sites don't help in that regard.

It seems the wrong question was asked. The body goes wherever someone decides its goes and then decays. Where does your soul go at death is the more pertinent Q but seeing that politics and "religion" is not to be discussed due to divisiveness, I guess I can't say.

Born once die twice, born twice, die once.
i know where my soul goes. down that well paved road,,,,,,,,,,,my wife told me so

I would hope that a university would/could use my body to the last little bit. At lest then I would have been useful to a higher degree than I had been in any part of my living time. After that? No reason I should care?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top