JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Coopers words about a fighting handgun works here as well...dehorn (take off sharp edges), a good trigger and sights you can see.

With the advancement of bullet design, I think one could include 32 H&R Magnum and still be in a comfortable area.

For me a 3" barrel or less, bullet design would be caliber dependent.

32 - 98gr wadcutter
38 - 148gr wadcutter
357 - 158gr XTP
41 Magnum - 210gr XTP
44 Special - 200gr XTP

I think Coopers words about a fighting handgun works here as well...dehorn (take off sharp edges), a good trigger and sights you can see.

With the advancement of bullet design, I think one could include 32 H&R Magnum and still be in a comfortable area.

For me a 3" barrel or less, bullet design would be caliber dependent.

32 - 98gr wadcutter
38 - 148gr wadcutter
357 - 158gr XTP
41 Magnum - 210gr XTP
44 Special - 200gr XTP
I know how you think Steve lol. But different tools for different situations is Always the right answer. You may take a revolver into Goldendale but heading into Portland will require a different tool per se

I know how you think Steve lol. But different tools for different situations is Always the right answer. You may take a revolver into Goldendale but heading into Portland will require a different tool per se
True...but the title of thread is about revolvers.

Since I got tangled up with Darryl Bolke and Chuck Haggard, they got me making some fantastic revolver rounds for 32 H&R, 41 Magnum, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, and 45 LC. There's been much input by the revolver masters, and the end result has been some surprising ballistic results.

Last weekend I traveled to the Albany gunshow with nothing but my Ruger LCR 327 stuffed with my 32 H&R XTP loads...and few extra rounds on speed strips. A true thrill seeker I am...

In another thread about the S&W UC revolvers. Got one in 32 H&R, for up close and personal, it's a great option. Going to put a few hundred rounds through it this week...if it's got any flaws, I'll shake 'em loose.

The last three years when I went into Portland I carried the same gun I usually do, a 5 shot 357. Portland sucks butt, however I don't spend any time there that I don't absolutely have to.

The last three years when I went into Portland I carried the same gun I usually do, a 5 shot 357. Portland sucks butt, however I don't spend any time there that I don't absolutely have to.
Hey man, it's better than nothing but I bet if you got caught up in the middle of a protest there you might question your choice that day. Some situations dictate more capacity than others. I am not trying to crap on revolver in any way, but if you had to pick up a fighting rifle would you grab the one with 10 round mags or 30 round mags. To me a fighting firearm is different.

Hey man, it's better than nothing but I bet if you got caught up in the middle of a protest there you might question your choice that day. Some situations dictate more capacity than others. I am not trying to crap on revolver in any way, but if you had to pick up a fighting rifle would you grab the one with 10 round mags or 30 round mags. To me a fighting firearm is different.
I understand where your coming from but in your comparison your only comparing capacity of like firearms, magazine fed rifles in that example. If one knows one will get caught up in the middle of a "protest", an AR pistol would most likely be the prudent choice.

Additionally, getting caught up in a "protest" means one wasn't paying attention to the environment they were heading into, violation of personal safety rule number one in my book. Be aware of your environment.

So the question here is "fighting revolver". The question of capacity boils down to 5, 6, 7 or 8. Semiautos are not part of the question posed here.

That being what it is, a big, hawking, 8 shot .357 N frame revolver would be the number one choice based solely on capacity. But some might prefer a 5 shot SP-101, for their personal experience with carry/accuracy.

Capacity doesn't always equate to one's ability to handle that particular firearm/capacity accurately. One is best off with what one can competently handle and hit with.

Just a non-caffeinated early morning rant from an ole guy.

:D

True...but the title of thread is about revolvers.

Since I got tangled up with Darryl Bolke and Chuck Haggard, they got me making some fantastic revolver rounds for 32 H&R, 41 Magnum, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, and 45 LC. There's been much input by the revolver masters, and the end result has been some surprising ballistic results.

Last weekend I traveled to the Albany gunshow with nothing but my Ruger LCR 327 stuffed with my 32 H&R XTP loads...and few extra rounds on speed strips. A true thrill seeker I am...

In another thread about the S&W UC revolvers. Got one in 32 H&R, for up close and personal, it's a great option. Going to put a few hundred rounds through it this week...if it's got any flaws, I'll shake 'em loose.
Do you like the 327 federal? I am currently carrying .327 HST when I go where people are.

I understand where your coming from but in your comparison your only comparing capacity of like firearms, magazine fed rifles in that example. If one knows one will get caught up in the middle of a "protest", an AR pistol would most likely be the prudent choice.

Additionally, getting caught up in a "protest" means one wasn't paying attention to the environment they were heading into, violation of personal safety rule number one in my book. Be aware of your environment.

So the question here is "fighting revolver". The question of capacity boils down to 5, 6, 7 or 8. Semiautos are not part of the question posed here.

That being what it is, a big, hawking, 8 shot .357 N frame revolver would be the number one choice based solely on capacity. But some might prefer a 5 shot SP-101, for their personal experience with carry/accuracy.

Capacity doesn't always equate to one's ability to handle that particular firearm/capacity accurately. One is best off with what one can competently handle and hit with.

Just a non-caffeinated early morning rant from an ole guy.

:D
One can never predict when a bad situation will arise unfortunately so 99% will have what they are carrying that day. Using my eyes the urban city attackers will be most likely be in a group of people, and that's where my mentality is focused these days and because of that capacity is a big consideration in choosing a CC for me. There is a reason the majority of police officers carry a semi auto and not a revolver anymore, and imo a revolver is not a fighting pistol simply due to carrying capacity. Not trying to change anybody's mind or offend just giving my opinion. If situation allows me to get to my car trunk to grab my rifle great but if away from my car all I will have is what's on me to defend myself whether it takes 1 round or 30. In the end its good to have choices right as there is no prefect anything just different tools for different situations.

Last Edited:
Do you like the 327 federal? I am currently carrying .327 HST when I go where people are.
Have never fired a 327 round. I picked up the LCR 327 to test the 32 H&R rounds that we now produce, as I couldn't get a S&W UC 432 fast enough. Of course after the fact, I get one of the UC 32s in the mail...I guess better late than never.

But I do plan on getting some 327 ammo to see how it does...blast, recoil etc. vs our 32 H&R loads.

One can never predict when a bad situation will arise unfortunately so 99% will have what they are carrying that day. Using my eyes the urban city attackers will be most likely be in a group of people, and that's where my mentality is focused these days and because of that capacity is a big consideration in choosing a CC for me. There is a reason the majority of police officers carry a semi auto and not a revolver anymore, and imo a revolver is not a fighting pistol simply due to carrying capacity. Not trying to change anybody's mind or offend just giving my opinion. If situation allows me to get to my car trunk to grab my rifle great but if away from my car all I will have is what's on me to defend myself whether it takes 1 round or 30. In the end its good to have choices right as there is no prefect anything just different tools for different situations.
I can respect that. I just stay away from those urban city cesspools. I find as I grow older I like
people less and animals more.

@Porter , this is a thread about revolvers. If you must discuss other types of firearms, there are other threads for that, or you're welcome to start your own.

I'm not worried about "getting caught up in a protest". I'm not a cop. Also, my responsibilities are not to anyone but myself and my family.

@Porter , this is a thread about revolvers. If you must discuss other types of firearms, there are other threads for that, or you're welcome to start your own.

I'm not worried about "getting caught up in a protest". I'm not a cop. Also, my responsibilities are not to anyone but myself and my family.
So I can't object to a revolver being called a fighting pistol because you have a problem with it lol. It's America man and we can have a differing opinion and that's perfectly fine. Fact is there are many situations that 5-6 rounds is not going to cut it and for you and your families sake I hope you never encounter one of those with your 5-6 shot revolver as you would be at a disadvantage. Now if this thread was about CC a revolver and I was bringing up semi auto then I would understand your point but when you call a revolver a fighting pistol one can have an differing opinion what a fighting pistol is. Any questions, if not have a great day.

@Porter
The title literally says:
What "makes" a fighting revolver for you?

But if you'd like to talk about fighting pistols as opposed to "fighting revolvers" which this thread is about, maybe another thread would make sense?

Of course, this is America, and you can talk about fighting rocking chairs I suppose...enjoy.

@Porter
The title literally says:
What "makes" a fighting revolver for you?

But if you'd like to talk about fighting pistols as opposed to "fighting revolvers" which this thread is about, maybe another thread would make sense?

Of course, this is America, and you can talk about fighting rocking chairs I suppose...enjoy.
Is a revolver not a pistol or a handgun for that matter??? You can try and change up the wording but it's the same thing lol. As far as tactical fighting rocking chairs lol, kinda funny but. 😁

Is a revolver not a pistol or a handgun for that matter??? You can try and change up the wording but it's the same thing lol. As far as tactical fighting rocking chairs lol, kinda funny but. 😁
Pistol - Pis-tol - Noun
A pistol is a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

So yes, a revolver is a pistol. That said the OP asked specifically about fighting revolvers not pistols...see the issue.

With that I'm going back to pondering the design of my fighting toothbrush.

Pistol - Pis-tol - Noun
A pistol is a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

So yes, a revolver is a pistol. That said the OP asked specifically about fighting revolvers not pistols...see the issue.

With that I'm going back to pondering the design of my fighting toothbrush.
Yea, yea, yea funny guy. My point was to not to debate tactical fighting tooth brushes or recliners etc but to question why one would consider a fighting revolver to be a good choice when it holds 5-6 rounds but it's a free country and you are free to carry whatever you feel is adequate. But again I really hope none of you that I triggered ever get in a situation where you will be outgunned and there are many situations you see every day on the news that you and potentially your family will be. Nothing against revolvers as I have a few that I enjoy to shoot also. I have said my piece, again it's my opinion not yours but I need to head to the store to look into these fighting toothbrushes and recliners lol. Have a great day guys, in the end its good to have choices in what is best for you.

Yea, yea, yea funny guy. My point was to not to debate tactical fighting tooth brushes or recliners etc but to question why one would consider a fighting revolver to be a good choice when it holds 5-6 rounds but it's a free country and you are free to carry whatever you feel is adequate. But again I really hope none of you that I triggered ever get in a situation where you will be outgunned and there are many situations you see every day on the news that you and potentially your family will be. Nothing against revolvers as I have a few that I enjoy to shoot also. I have said my piece, again it's my opinion not yours but I need to head to the store to look into these fighting toothbrushes and recliners lol. Have a great day guys, in the end its good to have choices in what is best for you.
There are some times when a small revolver is the best/only choice for carry. Say it's mid spring, the weathers getting nice, and the shorts and tee shirts are coming out, a small frame revolver makes lots of sense here, and while some could argue there are also small enough semi autos, the issue isn't capacity, it's POWER! Would you rather have a .25 auto, or .32, or would you rather have a full pop 9mm or .38 special, 10mm auto, or even better .357 mag or .41 mag?
See where this is going? The topic of this thread is: What makes for a really good "Fighting Revolver" if you find your self in a situation where a revolver might be the best or only choice!

For me, a 4 inch Colt Python in .357 Mag is the perfect carry wheel gun, next to that, a Ruger GP-101 or even an old school Red Hawk, also in .357 Mag makes for a great choice, not as small or light, but when it comes to POWER, i'm not backing down to anything less then a 9mm!

Normally, I carry a full size semi auto double stack in a very powerful caliber, and I also carry a B.U.G. usually a Colt New Agent or New Detective in an ankle holster, cause you just never know!
1715206410769.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class