JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Loaded up 50 rounds for the 10mm's with the 200 gr Hornady HAP, 9.4 gr Blue Dot, RP 2 1/2 in new Nosler cases.
Also loaded 100 .223 rounds with 62 gr Hornady's, half with FMJ, the other half with BTHP, 24.5 gr TAC, RP 7 1/2. Going to test them side by side since I have had good success with the BTHP version, but wanted to see how close the FMJ can come. MidSouth has both, the BTHP run .18 each while the FMJ are .11. For killing paper and steel, I like the .07 savings, if they are accurate enough. 🤞
How did the 223 TAC loads work out?

I did some extra credit this evening and did a quick and dirty job prepping job on 50 223 cases for my Axis project. I wiped them clean with lubed rag and full length sized them. I primed them with Remington 7.5 primers.

How did the 223 TAC loads work out?
Surprisingly, to me at least, they were quite close. I presumed the BTHP loads would be significantly more accurate than the FMJ, but the difference was negligible between the two. That particular load with BTHP has been our AR load of choice for years. I believe my son has taken a dozen or more coyotes with it in both his AR pistol and carbine. I may have to order some more of the 62 gr FMJ for killing paper and steel. Save the BTHP for critters.

I got an early start today around 4am. I fired up my electronic powder dispenser (FA Intellidropper), I took in on a trade, for the first time. It seems to function OK but we'll see how long it last.

I charged 50 cases of 223 with it (TAC powder) and topped off 25 of them with 55gr fmjs and 25 of them with 62gr penetrator fmj bullets. I have some 62gr bullets without the penetrators somewhere around here but couldn't find them. Charge weights are on tape. I still have to decide whether to crimp them or not.

These will be shot out of Savage Axis project rifle after some trigger work is done. I will be single feeding them in a effort to slow down my pace of shooting.

1000003269.jpg

Not reloading today, but I ordered 1500 ea of new 9mm 124gr fmj and .45 230gr plated RN that arrived. I'll get to check them out when I get home from work tonight. I'm excited to load with some more consistent projectiles since everything I've been loading with so far has been mixed pulls. I'm a bit under balanced and don't have nearly as much .224 projectiles or powder to work with, but I have to give my wallet a rest. The wife is getting on me for how much I've been spending.
Buy her a purse. It will take some heat off.

I got an early start today around 4am. I fired up my electronic powder dispenser (FA Intellidropper), I took in on a trade, for the first time. It seems to function OK but we'll see how long it last.

I charged 50 cases of 223 with it (TAC powder) and topped off 25 of them with 55gr fmjs and 25 of them with 62gr penetrator fmj bullets. I have some 62gr bullets without the penetrators somewhere around here but couldn't find them. Charge weights are on tape. I still have to decide whether to crimp them or not.

These will be shot out of Savage Axis project rifle after some trigger work is done. I will be single feeding them in a effort to slow down my pace of shooting.

View attachment 1903853
The single feeding just means you will be out there longer.

Unloaded
With all that .38 Special, I'm coming to your house, you're going to need help unloading all of that!
:s0140:
Come on down.
Heck, I'm gonna need help moving it.
And there's more to come from where that came from.
As soon as comrade jerkbutt insle stops keeping the streets safe, I mean the 10 business wait for my Rossi Carbine anything .38 could quickly dissappear.
Notice how I didn't capitalize jerkutt insle and I did the proper name of Rossi?
Even getting Google programmed to not auto correct me.

No loading today, only unloading. I decided to do some quality assurance testing on my most recent 9mm loads and 45 acp load, 9mm was 147 HP subs and 135 SWC's. 45 acp was 200gr RNFP's that I had laying around I'd sized down from .452 (correct for 45 Colt) to .451 (correct for 45 acp). I used the CZ Shadow 2 as the 9mm test fixture and the Rock Island Ultra for the 45. I ran 3 magazines of each loading thru the appropriate gun and had zero issues. I rate this ammo as good to go and will have it on my table at the next gun show. My wife went with and shot her SA-35 a bunch. On the way home she told me to not put it back in the safe because ahe wanted it as her nightstand gun. Replacing her Lady-smith 38 Special.

This morning I fussed around with my latest project, stuffing 215gr cast bullet in 40 S&W case. This leaves little room for powder. I am trying some Trail Boss but can only fit 2 grains of TB in the case. For other cases I am going to try denser faster powders. I was going to try the mystery #164 powder but I think it's to bulky.

I was worried about case bulge but that does not seem to be an issue. Seated to what's left of the crimp groove, it fits nicely in the chamber checker and M&P barrel. It also fits in the magazine.

1000003280.jpg

1000003281.jpg

1000003282.jpg

To measure how much room, I had available for uncompressed powder load, I used this marked 9mm case.

1000003279.jpg

1000003278.jpg

This morning I fussed around with my latest project, stuffing 215gr cast bullet in 40 S&W case. This leaves little room for powder. I am trying some Trail Boss but can only fit 2 grains of TB in the case. For other cases I am going to try denser faster powders. I was going to try the mystery #164 powder but I think it's to bulky.

I was worried about case bulge but that does not seem to be an issue. Seated to what's left of the crimp groove, it fits nicely in the chamber checker and M&P barrel. It also fits in the magazine.

View attachment 1904401

View attachment 1904402

View attachment 1904403

To measure how much room, I had available for uncompressed powder load, I used this marked 9mm case.

View attachment 1904400

View attachment 1904399
I finished 10rnds with 215gr bullet. I went with 3 grains of titegroup for 5rnds and 3.4 grains of TG for 5 rnds.

I checked to see how much #164 powder, I could fit in the case without compression. It looks like 4 grains is max. Since I used 6 grains for successful load with 180 fmj, I am not confident that 4 grains would be enough for 215gr cast bullet. I might try one round with it to see what happens. Two rounds will get the 2 grains charge of Trail Boss. That will be 13 rounds total. All of these will be shot out of my $200 M&P 40, I got from @HighLine

View attachment 1904401

View attachment 1904402

View attachment 1904403

View attachment 1904400

View attachment 1904399
Throw some TiteGroup in that puppy and it'll get moving.
Just read your post about adding tight group.

E10C8FB7-649A-4DEE-849E-432E8CB1EBD4.jpeg

I finally have a chrono, I picked up a used Magnetospeed V3 this morning for a great price. I am still not sure how it will improve my reloads but I am going to give it a shot. Most of the veteran reloaders seem to believe a chrono is a must have item.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top