JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
new neighbors moved in down the road 5 years ago from Idaho
3 generations on the same 5 acres
20 year old daughter has a 5 year old son - when I went down to return their dog, he ran out and wrapped his arms around me - thought i was his father from Idaho
they use shipping containers for outbuildings
lots of fireworks and gunfire
old dead vehicles all around the property
the older adults go to work, the younger generations just seem to hang out on the property
most of us have converted to battery chain saws, so you can't hear us cutting wood
the high pitched wail of gas saws can be heard from them several time a week
after one of their firework seasons, one of the neighbors went over to complain
the response "We're from Idaho - it's what we do"

So what's the problem?
'Murica!

IIRC, don't you have an old CAT scan machine parked on your property?
When all the trees fell in this years storm, you were talking about a "real man's saw", which sure as heck isn't battery powered.
So what's it going to be?

Perhaps you should drop off a few pamphlets so they can learn to do things your way.
it's their property, they have the right to do what ever down there
remember, Freedom is your right to do what ever you want until you infringe on someone else's right to do what they want
the chainsaws and fireworks and gunfire don't bother me
10 years ago, they could have been said about me on my property

a neighbor started cooking meth for his personal use a while back
my wife called county Sheriffs
they told her as long as he wasn't selling, he could cook meth all he wanted on his own remote property
the same neighbor had an illegal Marijuana grow operation (for family use for 6 family members), sheriffs wouldn't come out for that ether

Dodge Van.jpg

So what's the problem?
'Murica!

IIRC, don't you have an old CAT scan machine parked on your property?
When all the trees fell in this years storm, you were talking about a "real man's saw", which sure as heck isn't battery powered.
So what's it going to be?
we have a Stile 036 but everyday cutting is with 3 battery saws
have you seen the new 20" farm saw from EGO, has a 56V battery. has 3 speed power setting
does everything my old Stile does
one winter, we had a tree fall across our road and couldn't get out
gas for the chain saw was 4 mo old, had gone bad - bought my first battery saw that week
you can keep one in your truck all year long without the smell of gas and oil fumes

I think there is some misunderstanding on my intent with the post
here in rural Clark Co, we can live the life we wish, be we from Idaho, California or even from a Condo in Lake Oswego
there is one housewife who came from Vancouver who gets upset from time to time
but not even her husband would talk to the neighbor about his noise

infact, more families have sold their properties around here because the Urban raised wife's couldn't take rural life
we lost our local electrician that way
a new property owner had his grandson (about 10) out for their first summer here
he called all the surrounding families with boys his age to come over to me him
the boys showed up on dirt bikes, quads and even a horse
they were out in the barn feeding the horse when one of the boys pulled out a knife to cut the string on a hay bail
the city boy was astonished and asked if the boys had knives, they all pull out their knives to show him
then he asked if they all had guns, and every boy said yes and discussed their fire arms
the poor city kid went running back to his grandfather crying
he told him all these boys are gangsters and criminals, because his mother told him only criminals have guns, knives and motorcycles
they had to send him back to his mother, because he wouldn't leave the house after that

we have a Stile 036 but everyday cutting is with 3 battery saws
have you seen the new 20" farm saw from EGO, has a 56V battery. has 3 speed power setting
does everything my old Stile does
one winter, we had a tree fall across our road and couldn't get out
gas for the chain saw was 4 mo old, had gone bad - bought my first battery saw that week
you can keep one in your truck all year long without the smell of gas and oil fumes
What is this "Stile" you speak of?

I'm 73 and expect my two old Stihl chainsaws and hedge trimmer to outlast me. Buy good tools and don't abuse them. At the end of the day, wipe them down and touch up the cutters with a file so they're ready to go.

Aside from the impact driver and drill, none of my other Lithium-Ion powered tools [purchased Aug 2006] see any use except when I'm at a location without electrical power.

I'm 73 and expect my two old Stihl chainsaws and hedge trimmer to outlast me. Buy good tools and don't abuse them. At the end of the day, wipe them down and touch up the cutters with a file so they're ready to go.

Aside from the impact driver and drill, none of my other Lithium-Ion powered tools [purchased Aug 2006] see any use except when I'm at a location without electrical power.
the main reason we switched to battery power is my son
like you, I'm on the back side of 70, but my son, not my grandson, is only 30 years old, he likes technology
he's taking over day to day maintenance of the property and will inherit it when I pass
I gave him a Kubota tractor for his birthday 3 years ago
Stihl gas chain saws are 1920s technology
the 20" Ego 56V chain saw just came out this year, I got one of the first ones from the dealer in Salt Lake City
the big 56V batteries cost more than the chain saw, but one battery last as long as a tank of gas on the Stihl
I can get chains and bars from our local chain saw shop
give him a choice between the gas and battery saw, he'll take the battery every time

This doesn't sound like a big deal to me. If I lived on property I could shoot on, I would. And I wouldn't give a damn who didn't like the sound of that. The only thing I'd prefer is for my neighbor's to keep their impeccable taste in music to themselves.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top