JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't followed Washington's last few attacks on the 2nd(besides writing my politicians against them).
Long story short, can someone give me the rundown on what is required to purchase a muzzleloader?
It's it the same as all other guns with special classes required? Or is it a simpler process?
Online search resulted in conflicting data.
Thanks

The topic whiplash on this thread, let me tell you.

Not a WA resident, but I am unaware that they have any restrictions on BP firearms at all. As far as I know they are just like every other state where you can have them shipped straight to your door, no BGC or anything. I think there are only a handful of states that have any kind of restriction on BP arms, and I think most of them just count them as actual firearms when it comes to felon-in-Possession laws (NJ, CA and NY I think? Been a while since I saw the summary on that). WA may have a law like that, but as long as you are not a felon then it will have zero impact on you.

Full disclosure, IANAL and am only vaguely familiar with state level BP laws. Best to look it up yourself.

The topic whiplash on this thread, let me tell you.

Not a WA resident, but I am unaware that they have any restrictions on BP firearms at all. As far as I know they are just like every other state where you can have them shipped straight to your door, no BGC or anything. I think there are only a handful of states that have any kind of restriction on BP arms, and I think most of them just count them as actual firearms when it comes to felon-in-Possession laws (NJ, CA and NY I think? Been a while since I saw the summary on that). WA may have a law like that, but as long as you are not a felon then it will have zero impact on you.

Full disclosure, IANAL and am only vaguely familiar with state level BP laws. Best to look it up yourself.
We can always count on you for coming up with the greatest number of words for "I dunno"!

You can ship blackpowder firearms right to your door step, UNLESS any blackpowder gun ( mostly rifles) have a frame in which barrels can be switched out to use modern cartridges such as the Thompson Contender series of frames, along with others. The ATF has a list you can Google on thier site that shows most of the Firearms that are considered to be modern firearms because of thier capability to change barrels on the gun's frames from. Blackpowder to modern smokeless powder cartridges.

Those firearms that cab switch put barrels from blackpowder to modern cartridges are considered by the ATF to be a modern firearms, on which case it's not exempted, and requires you to fill out a form 4473 and do the applicable legal background checks etc in order to purchase a gun that switches back and forth with barrels going from blackpowder configuration to modern.

That's it in a nutshell, and covers everything pretty much for your question for whats required and not.

Happy Trails, and keep yer powder dry. 👍

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top