JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Were your cans backordered? The wait doesn't start until the forms have been certified and then submitted to the ATF. Order fulfillment and manufacturing is the current bottleneck. Supply of cans are so low that I have even seen a guy buy used suppressors. I, myself, have gotten 3 cans this year. One was approved in 4 days. The next was 31 days. And my 3rd can has been backordered since April.

Also, here's some Q&As from the ATF I thought pertinent to your situation

Q. Are NFA applications processed in a first in, first out basis?
No. While first in, first out is a guiding principle, NFA Division will focus its resources on processing those NFA applications that have received a proceed from FBI-NICS in response to the required background check. NFA applications were previously processed on a first in, first out basis, which resulted in delayed processing for NFA applications with a proceeded background check. For example, previously, a NFA application with a proceeded background check would not be processed until a NFA application with a delayed background check was resolved. Now, the NFA application with a proceeded background check gets priority for processing. NFA will continue to submit background checks to FBI-NICS in the order applications are received. NFA Division will then process NFA applications as it receives background check responses from FBI-NICS.

Q. If I have more than one application pending, will NFA Division process the applications at the same time?
Generally, yes, provided the applications are for an individual and the social security number was provided with the NFA application. NFA Division has implemented a bundling process which allows an examiner to review all pending applications of an individual. There is no need for an applicant to request bundling, this should be done automatically. Nor will NFA Division respond to requests to bundle applications beyond the bundling process that has been implemented.

Q. Why do trust applications take longer to process than individual applications?
Trust applications require the examiner to perform several additional steps of review than an individual application. For example, the examiner must read each trust document to ensure it is a legitimate trust. The examiner must also read each trust document to ensure every responsible person to the trust submitted the required responsible person questionnaire.

Q. I use a simple trust template with only a single responsible person, will my application be processed as quickly as an individual?
No. Even when a trust template is used and there is only a single responsible person, there are several additional steps the examiner must perform when reviewing an application to transfer a firearm to a trust. The review of a trust application will always take longer than the review for an individual application.
good info.

Within the past two weeks....After the paperwork was complete....2 days from ATF submission to approval...Individual.

Silencer shop seems completely overwhelmed. Took more time to get through them than approval after submission.

Oregon seems to have their heads up their butts again on background checks.....2600 in queue. Said it may take 10 days - 2 weeks. I had two rifles hit town today and both are in lock up......Pewey!

Submitted to the ATF March 7th. Trust with successor trustee. I'm hoping I get them before the Fourth of July. But probably looking at around the middle to the end of July. I went with Silencer Central and got the Banish 30 and Banish 22.

If you do a search on this forum there are several threads that provide good info over the last two months. Two months ago I had zero cans, now I have NINE. Fastest was 1 day, 14 hours. There is no guarantee, however here are some tips that help to get these fast approvals:
  • File as individual, efile. Trusts are supposed to be getting faster, however if you want a chance at super fast approvals, individual is where it is at.
  • Buy local in stock. If you buy from say SilencerShop, they still have to ship it, which before they can do that they have to file a form 3 to transfer to your dealer. If you buy a suppressor in stock at your FFL, they can start the Form 4 process right away. Adaptive, Highline, and NW Armory all have lots of good cans right now, with more coming in every day. Monitor their stock online and check daily.
  • Once purchased locally, you can still use the SlencerShop Kiosk to prep and process everything. So if you have never done it before, get your accounts all set up, photo, fingerprints etc. All of it only needs to be done once, then good to go for the future. So once you buy at the local FFL, tell them you want to process it through SilencerShop. Everything can be done that way, including the prep of the Form 4, and then can even remotely certify and send the Form 4 to the FFL.
  • Of course it helps to have a unique name, without any criminal history, and helps if you havent moved or changed any of your personal info recently. Also helps if you have had to do Federal background checks in the past, which I had to do for my career prior.
  • Once submitted, the waiting game begins. Nice thing about processing through SilencerShop, is that it keeps everything housed in your account, and you can track it. I even set up my email with a special alert for when I got the return approval ATF email. It is like Christmas when they arrive!
All this to say is that not everyone is still getting these super fast approvals- anything that is off or that they need to check, you go in the long line. Also remember that this all changed basically overnight, and the stores and dealers/manufacturers were caught completely unaware. Stock and accessories is slowly catching up, but many things are still backlogged. Have patience on that- I heard numbers that the demand increased something like 900% overnight! Let me know if you have any questions. 100000% worth it by the way, I ONLY shoot suppressed now, it is TOO fun!!

You've had pretty good turn around times. I had one certified 8/10/23, one on 12/20/23, and one 5/15/24. I think my first two are in the old system. I was hoping for a batch approval with my most recent just last month. I called the atf last week and all they could tell me was they were in process. Guess I just keep waiting. Thanks for the info.
Approved for 1 can today! 10 1/2 months!

Just got the email today at 530 this morning. Approved for 3 Deadair Wolverines. Signed on 4/2, approved this morning, 6/27. Single shot unlimited trusts. Now for the other 3 approvals.....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top